Any good books/tutorials on Boost?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Bombinator, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Bombinator

Original Member

I understand Boost is huge so I'm not looking for something exhaustively comprehensive, just the core. I've used parts of Boost on a few projects I've worked on but I always felt like I didn't get it when it came to the Boost documentation. Are there any good resources out there that I'm missing? Everyone I've asked has basically referred me to the Boost documentation.

2. KatieL

Original Member

There's a series of books edited by Stroustroup referred to as the "The Red Books" but actually called "C++ In Depth"

{To distinguish them from "The Red Book" which is the OpenGL reference and "The Red Book" which is a PostScript reference..}

Some of them are introductory, others mainstream C++, and the series ends up doing Boostey level stuff with;

"Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied"
    by Andrei Alexandrescu.

and

"C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond" by Abrahams & Gurtovoy.

Both of which are pretty serious works on template development and run over the sort of concepts that Boost works with, and in a couple of cases explain how the Boost designs were evolved.

If you're serious about hardcore C++ template work, these are books to have lying about.

I'll caution that they're fairly intense and basically no matter how good at C++ you think you are (or indeed actually are), you're going to have "Whoooo" moments...

3. Cygon

Cygon New Member

I was quite happy with the documentation that can be found on the Boost site. Most parts of Boost had very nice and easy-going tutorials (at least the parts I was interested in, like the smart pointer classes, Boost.Signals, Boost.Python and Boost.Spirit).

That being said, I actually have Andrei Alexandrescu's book in my shelf and it's certainly an interesting read, especially his Loki library which, btw, contains a "small object allocator" that has freed me from having to create object pooling systems to avoid memory fragmentation and locality issues.

-Markus-

4. Bombinator

Original Member

Thanks for the replies. Alexandrescu's "Modern C++" I already have and love (typelists are awesome). I guess I'll just have to take another look at the Boost documentation and work through it.