Any generic demo wrappers

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by svero, Apr 20, 2005.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Anyone know if there are any generic demo wrappers. That is.. A wapper that wraps around your exe and displays a buy screen, but which is configureable and doesn't link to a particular payment provider. Ideally it would be one where you could code in whatever timing or registration mechanism you want, and not use it's own.

2. Sharkbait

Original Member

3. svero

Im looking for a highly configureable wrapper that doesnt support any ecommerce. Might actually be best if it were a wrapper library as code to build my own wrapper but Im doubting that exists.

4. svero

Although I will look at softwrap. I've looked at armadillo and asprotect as well. They seem more than what I want generally. Any others?

5. svero

I just wanted to add that I'm looking for an external solution. Maybe it would be clearer if I explained what I want.

Essentially what I want to do is remove the buy screen and all the demo stuff entirely from my exe. I want my exe to be only the game, and then I want to run a wrapper app that cloaks the game in a 60 minute trial and lets me put in my own sales pitch and links in some nice way. So for instance..

wrap mygame.exe -sell:mypitch.htm -type:60minutedemo -link:twilightgames.com/store.htm

Would yield a new mygame.exe which has the sales wrapper around it.

PS : Softwrap has what must be the dumbest website I've ever seen. Don't these people take a second to think through their web interfaces? I've been clicking at and staring at their site for what seems like forever and I have NO IDEA what they sell, how much it costs, what it does etc... If the goal of the site is to sell nothing and confuse people they've done one hell of a bangup job.

6. Sharkbait

Original Member

You're quite right re Softwrap... I couldn't find a purchase link anywhere. I'm beginning to think they negotiate prices on an individual client basis rather than use the online purchase model themselves!

I've yet to look into Armadillo and ASProtect. The impression I have of Armadillo is that it does support some form of in-application purchasing, but it is bound to Digital River. As for ASProtect, it doesn't seem to offer any e-commerce functionality at all. Correct me if I am wrong...

7. svero

I couldnt tell what aspprotect did... I just want a wrapper. I don't want ecommerce, but I don't want to write my own exe wrapping application either. Actually all 3 of those sites are terrible. They've got that stupid "corporate" look to them, and they're all organized terribly. I donno.. maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't understand that business and that's exactly the way those sites should look, but from my perspective as a potential customer they were all a big turnoff.

8. Sirrus

Original Member

Armadillo classic isn't bound to Digital River...
    It really does basically what you want Steve.

Wraps, timer based, custom links, etc.

Very easy to use.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Softwrap is really bad service. I asked them to remove my only game, Quizland, and they never replied to my email.
    Fun, comparing to the quick replies usually I get from Plimus or BMT micro... :p