Any experience with Plimus subscription / recurring billing service

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by jankoM, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jankoM

Indie Author

2. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Yeh, I've tried it at some point. Seemed to work fine. Setting it up was bit of a mess (I think their user interface could be slightly more user-friendly), but otherwise it was ok.

3. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I've been using subscriptions with Plimus for almost a year now.

It was pretty rough at first. It almost felt like I was the only one of Plimus's vendors using subscriptions. There were some pretty obvious and major bugs I ran into initially.

But it's all been sorted out now. And I can safely recommend them for subscription services. There's still some hiccups every now and then, but they catch them pretty fast now.

4. jankoM

Indie Author

Thanks to both for your answers. I have seen that they have solution for subscriptions for a long time but I didn't know anyone that uses it.

Chris, do you use recurring billing and does that mean that the credit card gets automatically biled each period until they sign off? Is that how people are most used to pay subscriptions or can this be viewed as something negative?

(we don't use *credit* cards (we have normal "bank" cards) much here and I don't know how people are used to handle this in US and abroad)

5. jankoM

Indie Author

I am setting up recurring payments with Plimus these days for www.site-assistant.com that I am setting up for release.

I also saw that since May BMT micro also has recurring billing support so I checked it out but there is one real reason and 2 things that appeared a little strange.

I didn't see any option to include VAT in the price for EU countries. If I say price is 4EUR per month I don't want that some users get 4EUR + VAT then when they have to pay.. this is a issue I really can't get across.

The two strange things were.. on purchase page bottom I saw a lot of payment option icons, amongst them also paypal.. but the select box gave me just two options "Credit card" and "Maestro/Solo debit card". The other nausance was that I got price in Pounds but we have EUR here and I set price in EUR too.

I am probably not doing something right because I know a lot of people here use BMT Micro and like it a lot.

6. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

7. jankoM

Indie Author

I checked the puppygames today which I know uses BMT and the two issues that I mentioned , pounds instead of EUR and only two payment options in select box while images of more below were not a problem there, so this has to be realted to me setting it up incorrectly.. Puppy had EUR and his select box for payment method had all the expected ones.

I will reply to your PM now Thomas, thanks

8. jankoM

Indie Author

Just to say BMT Micro turned out to be really cool :)