Any Dreamhost users?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ApeZone, Sep 5, 2006.

1. wazoo

Original Member

Hmm last month they had really bad filer problems which spanned several days until things were (more or less) marked as "Resolved".

I wonder if the same problem has come back to bite them now?

2. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

I just moved away from DreamHost after a little over a month. There is a lot of cool stuff they offer like 1 click installs on popular extras and high bandwidth allocation. However, bandwidth usage stats varied considerably from my previous host and the dedicated server I have now - DH was way higher. Not sure what was going on there.

The positives is their support got back to me very quickly and they have a generous refund policy of 97 days. You can also add plans on top of the one you have very easily to grab more bandwidth if you need it.

3. Sharpfish

Original Member

All my dreamhost sites are down atm.. YMMV :(

4. ApeZone

Original Member

I too have found my bandwidth to be much higher than normal after I switched, and without the normal benefits that usually come with that ($$). :(

They seem to have a lot of "filter" problems. I wonder if script kiddies are hacking their servers on a regular basis? This was the problem with my last host provider.

5. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I've used Dreamhost for maybe 10 months for my low volume corporate site and it's been solid.

HOWEVER, my next game uses a global high-score system that hits the server for upload/download, and there's a lot of inconsistency in mySQL response times (i.e. normal is ~50 ms, but roughly every 5th request takes from 3000-12000 ms). Their support people are responsive, but basically said "that's the way it is".

Now, in the last few days, things seem to have gotten much worse. Site up and down, response times on average much lower, etc.

I use Lunarpages for a personal blog, and that's been solid for a year and a half - may switch corporate to that...

My issue is that it's really hard to tell who is good and bad. You can see a bullet-list of features, bandwidth limits, and costs, but the really important data is up/down time, and response time. Lots of anecdotal responses, but little that's objective that you can look at across a range of hosts.

Is there any site that tests all the main providers in a consistent fashion, by say, pinging some of their servers at regular intervals to generate such data/comparisons?

p.s. - the reason I've got time to post here is my site (www.newcrayon.com) is down at this very moment, and I can't continue to test the SQL stuff I was working on while it's down. Bleah...

[edit - this site is the best I've found for comparing virtual hosters INCLUDING a measure of reliability
    http://www.webhostingjury.com/
    ]

#25 Phil Steinmeyer, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  6. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

What is this 'filter' thing they (Dreamhost) are talking about anyways?

7. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

To get more to the point, right now you have two choices:

1) Cheap service, provided on virtual server, running alongside ??? other people's cheap service

2) Dedicated server. You know you've got 100% of the box, and therefore, assuming your own uses are well-behaved, you should have very good uptime, response time, etc.

The problem is that there's about a 10-fold difference in price between 1 & 2, and also a drastic difference in quality.

What I'd like is perhaps a quarter of a dedicated box, but not one of the virtual plans where I'm one of 100+ people running on it.

What is the best value for a dedicated server? Are there any sites using virtual servers that provide a meaningful guarantee that they're not overcrowding and that they will provide decent service?

8. ApeZone

Original Member

Interesting. May explain some of what I'm seeing with my own multiplayer development. Hmm, this may not be the best place for this kind of development. In the end we may need to have one host for our corporate websites, another for downloads, and another if you have any online services. :rolleyes:

I'd check on the details of their "filter" problems for you, but I can't connect to their dreamhoststatus.com to look it up!

9. aaron

Original Member

HostPC (http://www.hostpc.com/) is introducing a service like that... semi-dedicated servers.

Details here: http://www.hostpc.com/community/showthread.php?t=2729

I've been hosting with them for just over a year now and they have been absolutely fantastic... fast support and they keep everyone in the loop with regards to anything that might be going on (ie- last year they had some servers in Florida affected by the bad weather... they kept everyone up-to-date with practically hourly updates on the status). I never feel like they are hiding anything. The prices are reasonable and the uptime has been great.

10. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Interesting. $33/month buys you 1/5 of a P4 2.8 server. Might be worthwhile. Now I'm debating between that and just trying to move up the reliability ladder at http://www.webhostingjury.com/

WebHostingJury's ratings seem credible. I've used 3 hosts listed there, and my experiences correspond closely with the ratings. HostExcellence (rated poorly on WHJ) was quite bad. Dreamhost (middle rating) is so-so. Lunarpages (rated well) has been solid for me, though I'm not sure how hard I've pushed it.

So I might either move my biz server to Lunarpages or a higher rated virtual server, or try HostPC's stuff. The slightly worrying thing about HostPC is that they don't even show up in the charts at WHJ. Must be a small operator - which may not be a bad thing, but I just hate dancing from webhost to webhost - it's a pain in the neck.

11. Nexic

Indie Author

I've made the decision, I'm moving back to LunarPages. My site has been down/slow for almost the entire day >.< Since with coupons dreamhost is dirt cheap I'll keep it as a backup incase I ever exceed my lunarpages bandwidth.

12. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Just a cross-reference post here to the other related thread:

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?p=107401#post107401

Of note: As of this writing and my tests of today, Lunarpages is NOTICEABLY faster than Dreamhost (server response time), on top of the better overall reliability I, and apparently others, have experienced.