Another Website Dev Question

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by DanMarshall, Sep 26, 2006.

1. DanMarshall

Original Member

My girlfriend recently did her website on Frontpage. She's very happy with it.

Trouble is, it displays perfectly in IE and Safari, but is completely screwy in Firefox. Instead of displaying cells left->right, it's sort of displaying them on top of each other, and obviously looks pretty bad.

From the traffic to Gibbage.co.uk, I'm aware that pretty much 50%+ of surfers are using Firefox, so it needs addressing before it goes live.

Why does a page that's perfecty aligned in IE mess up in Firefox, and what does muggins here need to do to sort it out for her?

Muchly ta,

Dan

2. Backov

Original Member

My first advice would be to delete Frontpage, and never look at it again.

Second, regenerate the page either from scratch (if she knows HTML) or with a better GUI editor, such as Dreamweaver. Then make sure to test in Firefox as you go.

What probably happenned was that she used some of the (many,crappy) Frontpage proprietary extensions.

Frontpage is POS. Just Say No to Frontpage.

3. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Internet Explorer has many bugs and the new IE7 won't help much I guess. In general it's better to design a web page using a different browser and fix it for IE after it's finished.

For the pages that are already done, try running them through a validator (http://validator.w3.org) and get rid of all the red errors.

If you want to dig into the HTML: maybe it's that IE bug that incorrectly calculates width and height of things with "padding" and "margins" - embedding stuff in another pair of DIVs with just the padding or just the margins usually helps.

4. oNyx

Original Member

5. Nexic

Indie Author

Another vote for deleting frontpage from existence. Terrible piece of kit.

6. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Yes... also remember to throw away the harddrive that got infected by that vicious program... and never ever even think about it.

Then get your girlfriend to use some blog template. That should be relatively painless way to make a website.