Another stupid question...

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Steve007, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Steve007

Steve007 New Member

I'm a coder, and as a programmer when you hear the words scripting (it could mean to write code in a language like Javascript).

But I'm guessing scripting in Game Development scene means the same as a scripting for movies?

2. Xangotrick

Xangotrick New Member

No, scripting, in game development terms, is writing code. Nothing to do with writing the script of a movie :p

3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

It depends who you talk to. Also "coding" and "scripting" in programming language are not the same. Scripting usually involve high level, easy to read language that sometimes don't need recompiling to affect the game.

And you can also have a written script for the dialogs / screenplay / game events.

4. Xangotrick

Xangotrick New Member

Oh well, my bad then, didn't know there was a difference!

5. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

A couple years ago I would argue that coding and programming is also not the same. There were a times when coding meant to really code in assembly language and programming was 'high level, easy to read language' like C, C++, Pascal and so on.

Despite the name, JavaScript is actually full featured language so the scripting sounds like not exactly right here.

As for the scripting and games: there can be a couple of meaning, both writing scripts for story, cutscenes, and build sequence of events and behavior that occur in the game in 'scripted manner'.

#5 NO9, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    FreeFly likes this.
  6. Steve007

Steve007 New Member

Thanks for all the great replies,

7. DefiniteGoose

DefiniteGoose New Member

Hello Steve!

First off, let be clear that stupid questions do not exist. Only stupid answers are real. To answer your question, scripting and coding are quite related, although the only difference is that scripting languages are easier to read.
    I hope I and the others have helped you a bit!

Regards,
    DefiniteGoose