Announcing Uhfgood's Game Review blog

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Uhfgood, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Uhfgood

Original Member

Well I'm getting some people coming over to my blog from my other post on an indie review blog, and since no one is answering there anymore, I thought I'd announce it proper.

I've got 7 reviews so far. The latest is for an XBLCG game. I'll review pretty much any game as long as it's not particularly controversial or obscene. I'm mostly doing casual and indie affairs but in pretty much any genre.

Check it out at
    http://indieflux.com

Thanks,
    Uhfgood

#1 Uhfgood, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. James_X48

James_X48 New Member

Nice green blog :)

I read through a couple of reviews, Galcon looks insane, I need that, so thanks!

My only suggestion would be to pour more personal thoughts and feelings into the reviews, as this will add flavour and a personal touch, and as you gain readership people will begin to value your opinions.

good luck!

3. mooktown

Original Member

What an eye sore! :eek:

4. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Sounds good. You gotta subscribe to indie gaming PR list here: www.gamerelease.net (you get informed about new indie games)

(And of course you gotta also review my game when it's out :))

5. Uhfgood

Original Member

mooktown - thanks for at least looking at it ;-)

James_X48 - thanks for the suggestion, will definitely be trying to inject more of my personality in the near future.

Game Producer - Someone already linked me on my other thread, so I'm signed up for the release list. As far as Dead Wake -- I'm not too into zombies, but once you're done I will give it a try.

Keith

6. JGOware

Indie Author

Quite possibly one of the worst looking web pages I've ever seen. :eek:

7. Uhfgood

Original Member

I've been asking around, and apparently most people don't think it's that ugly. Most do say, however, that it's a bit bland, and I can't fault them on that.

8. mooktown

Original Member

After a quick search I found:
    I'd say this is the effect I felt when attempting to read your page. It felt like an assault on my eyes, hence the eek! ( :eek: )

9. jpoag

jpoag New Member

lol, not to mention that colorblind people might have trouble reading the page altogether: the most common form of color blindness entails the inability to distinguish shades of green/blue.

i.e. green-on-green

10. Uhfgood

Original Member

Thanks, James, that's really helpful ;-)

11. Uhfgood

Original Member

mooktown and JGOware - You guys could have been a little more tactful with your responses, then I might have been inclined to listen.

12. mooktown

Original Member

o_O I thought I was being helpful. I was going to respond that there is no room for a sensitive ego when asking for constructive criticism then I realised you weren't actually asking for feedback. Sorry.. :)

13. Uhfgood

Original Member

mooktown - "What an eye sore!"

Even if I was, you think this is constructive criticism?

You only replied with that snippet about the eyes after the remark above. In any case I suggest in future that when you want to criticize someone, you try to be constructive first, and not after. I think then people will take you more seriously.

Not that it matters, but I actually have an astigmatism. And my Dad is color-blind in the blue-green spectrum. But only those colors together, not separately.

However, I will keep those suggestions under advisement.

14. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Lol, ok, so..

Layout-wise, I really like the green (for lack of a better word: ) flannel BG. I suffer from an astigmatism for which I wear glasses, but at 1am in the morning, I don't wear my glasses.

Also, be really careful with Word Press. I had a word press blog once, and because I didn't keep up on the software updates my site contracted a virus. I'm pretty sure there are virus bots trolling the web looking for vulnerable wordpress installs.

Looking forward to more content. If you want some directional inspiration for taking your site, look at this thread: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=13788. I'm considering advertising on his site soon.

15. Uhfgood

Original Member

since either 2.6, or 2.7, they've made it easy to upgrade right in the dashboard

lol flannel.

By the way if there's things you don't like about the layout/design, you can voice them. It just doesn't help when people make lame comments like "It's bad" or whatever. I'd just appreciate a little more description. anyhoo looking at that link you posted looks interesting. Maybe I could do something like that somewhere along the line.

16. Cray

Cray New Member

I like the style :)

Instead of the donations button, maybe try using affiliate links for the games you recommend? I think iWin has one you can use for the wagons-ho for example

17. Uhfgood

Original Member

Hmm that might be an idea... I don't want to end up like those sites where it's nothing but affiliate links though. But I will give it some thought and look into what I need to do.

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I don't think it's ugly, overall it's good (at a quick glance). My only issue is that the bright green text on the green background makes my eyes feel weird almost immediately. That's why generally black on white is easier to read instead of bright colours on dark backgrounds. You may be able to tweak the colours and make it less of an issue yet retain the colour scheme more or less.

19. Uhfgood

Original Member

Gray Alien - thanks for the constructive criticism. I will definitely figure out how to alleviate that.

20. Uhfgood

Original Member

So far haven't got a lot of complaints about the color scheme. I might change it at a later date.

In any case I forgot to mention in here that the reviews for march, post is up, sort of a round-up post kind of thing.

url removed because it's no longer valid

#20 Uhfgood, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009