[ANN] Valen Games announces Lunar Domination

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Valen, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Valen

Indie Author

June 15, 2007

Valen Games announces the release of Lunar Domination, a turn-based financial strategy game where two players immerse themselves into a fight for domination over the lunar ore market. The focus on strategy that revolves around finances, rather than military confrontation, creates a completely unique experience compared to other strategy games. The only weapon that is available in Lunar Domination is your mind.

Lunar Domination comes with six scenarios, each of which can be played at three difficulty levels against a computer opponent. An interactive tutorial helps you get into the game quickly, without having to spend a lot of time on learning how to play.

Lunar Domination is based on the concept of a market economy, where you and your opponent compete for orders from simulated clients. This is accomplished using an auction system, where bids can be placed on client orders. Orders are awarded to the player with the lowest bid. Clients place orders for ore, which you can gather around the map. Six different buildings are provided for mining, storing, refining and selling the ore.

One of the innovations in Lunar Domination is a combination of a simulated market economy with strategy elements that borrow from military games. Although you cannot attack the other players directly, you must still compete with them for physical resources and territory. Skillful management of your bases around the map plays a significant role in achieving victory. This is in great contrast to traditional finance oriented games, which are purely single player simulations.

Lunar Domination is available for Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Linux. It costs $24.99 (USD) and can be purchased at the Valen Games web site: http://www.valengames.com.

# # #

Web site: http://www.valengames.com

Screenshots:
    http://valengames.com/images/lunar_domination/screenshot1.png
    http://valengames.com/images/lunar_domination/screenshot2.png
    http://valengames.com/images/lunar_domination/screenshot3.png
    http://valengames.com/images/lunar_domination/screenshot4.png

Download links
    Windows: http://valengames.com/downloads/lunar_domination_demo_setup.exe
    Linux: http://valengames.com/downloads/lunar_domination_demo_setup.bin

2. Valen

Indie Author

If there are Linux users here, I'd really appreciate it if you tried the demo. So far I've only been able to test the Linux version on various flavors of Ubuntu and on SUSE. It's packaged in a self-contained installer that contains all the libraries the game uses, and should work on any modern Linux distribution. It also does not require root privileges to install. A lot of credit goes to Troy Hepfner of My Game Company (who posts as GolfHacker on this forum) for helping make the Linux port possible. Thanks Troy! :)

3. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Installed and worked perfectly here (Linux 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6 on an Athlon64). The uninstaller worked but the desktop panel apparently was killed and restarted. No harm done to it though.

4. wazoo

Original Member

Grats Valen!

One of these days I'll get Kubuntu installed (*grin*), but I had no problems with the Windows version!

Great looking game! Hope it does really well for you!

cheers,

5. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Thanks, but it wasn't all me - we figured out some stuff together! And Gerry Jo Jellestad provided a lot of the information to help me get Dirk Dashing ported. I just passed on what he shared with me. Incidentally, the Linux dev articles I wrote will start running monthly on GameDev.net on 6/25.

I've been playing Lunar Domination a lot since I got the Linux version. I have yet to win though. haha! It's very challenging and really makes you think. Good game.

6. Valen

Indie Author

Cool, thanks! I get the gnome panel being killed as well, so it must be something that InstallJammer is doing either intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanks Erik! :) I use Ubuntu myself (prefer gnome) but Kubuntu is perfectly good as well.

Cool, congrats on getting your articles on Gamedev.net! I think a lot of people will appreciate them. Is Gerry Jo Jellestad from Caravel Games?

I'm glad you like it! I hope I didn't make it too hard. :) I tried to set it to a difficulty that's easy for me, but this may not be a good enough indicator of whether it's the right difficulty for end users.

#6 Valen, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  7. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I'm not exactly sure. I know he was involved in building the installer for the DROD games, and I think he helped put together the binaries. But his e-mail address puts him at icculus.org. Erik from Caravel Games steered me in his direction.

Don't judge based on me! I don't play too many strategy games, so my lack of skill is not a good indicator for what your primary audience (hardcore strategy gamers) would expect.

8. jeb_

Indie Author

I don't want to be the whiner here, but in my humble opinion you forgot to make this game fun. Regardless whether the graphics and sounds are good or not, the game offered me no rewards or accomplishments what-so-ever when I tried it.

None of the things I did in the tutorial gave any elevating feedback. I bought a region, it changed color. I placed a building, it appeared there (though it was nice that there was one sprite for a building in construction and a building that is finished). I added a worker to a mine, a number changed. I turned the mine on and off, a dot changed color...

What I mean is... When I do something that turns out well, such as winning an auction, the game should cheer me! As it is now I have to check a menu to see the status of a text line.

Also, it would be nice to have an incentive to win those clients. At the moment it doesn't matter to me wheter I or my opponent becomes the greatest distributor of ore, because I don't feel "connected" to my company. I got to choose my player color, but it would be nice to be able to name the company and maybe start out without any buildings at all. Instead you start out the game with taking a huge loan to build your first spaceport with... an obligation to earn money.

Maybe you could take some inspiration from Transport Tycoon. It gives you nice feedback on accomplishments by using newspaper announcements, cashier sounds and crowd cheering.

I hope I don't sound all too negative, I wish you best of luck with your game and any improvements you do on the game in the future :)

9. Valen

Indie Author

Thanks for your feedback. I think you're expecting it to be a Tycoon kind of game but it's not like that at all. The focus is on the strategy, like in a war strategy game except that you don't fight with weapons. Winning the clients is like a race with your opponent, and the reward is in kicking their butt. :) I just finished the first draft of the game manual and it came out to 6.5 pages. That's how much detail there is to the complexity of the game's mechanics.

This game is targeted at a very specific niche of hardcore strategy gamers as Troy said. It does contain some simulation elements, but my focus is mostly on the strategy -- managing your bases, resources, buildings, and outmaneuvering your opponent to win the clients. I don't expect everyone to like it, but I appreciate your feedback nonetheless.