ANN: Tsunami Sweeper Puzzle Game, and Sugar Pill Studios Web Site

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by LiquidAsh, Aug 16, 2004.

1. LiquidAsh

Indie Author

I'm excited to anounce that my first independently distributed game: Tsunami Sweeper is now available to the public, as is the new Sugar Pill Studios web site. Since this is a rather big first for me, any and all comments and suggestions will be extra-greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance. The links are as follows:

Tsunami Sweeper Trial Version (1.3MB): This is IMO a very fun little logic puzzle game that builds off the structures of both Japanese tsunami puzzles, and classic mine sweeping games. (more info here) (screenshot here )

http://www.sugarpillstudios.com: The new Sugar Pill Studios web site that I am also looking for feedback on.

Another thanks in advance, LiquidAsh.

2. GameStudioD

Original Member

Game:

The game looks ok graphically. I didnt really know how to play Tsunami Sweeper mode and Classic Tsunami. I realize that there is a help manual, but I cannot read. An interactive tutorial with less words may be better.

I would separate the menu from the game. Maybe replace it with a 'menu' button and the game logo.

A selection thingie is needed to know which box the mouse cursor is over.

Instead of a boardsize, just call it difficulty. Normal and hard. That is more intuitive.

I guess there is a level editor, but you cant see it. The demo should allow you to build a level, but not save it, load it or play it.

Good use of 'white space'. For indie game website standards, its a work of art.

Some improvements: I think the page uses frames, its just not necessary. The background image needs to be lighter, it makes the text harder to read. Remove the borders from the tables containing the games. Settle on just a few colors for the page and make sure the colors compliment each other. And there are wierd icons on the homepage where the games are, a camera, keys, etc. This is very unintuitive and these icons link to very important pages on your site.

Good luck with your game and website.

3. LiquidAsh

Indie Author

Teaching Old Gamers New Games

Thanks for all the great feedback GameStudioD,

This is probably my biggest concern with this game (as it has been with my previous puzzle games). My puzzle games tend to be unique enough that they require some amount of explanation beyond just looking at the screen. I generally find that I can describe the game fairly clearly and concisely in a few lines, but also know that that is often too much for most games to read (and I am no exception to that rule).

:confused: I'd love to hear what kinds of strategies people have for teaching people to play a new puzzle game. Is a tutorial that just steps a player through the contents of the manual worthwhile, or is there a better way to teach the game. I'm familiar with the idea of slowly developing the players understanding of a game's puzzle elements by teaching them one at a time spread out over a number of levels. That technique doesn't seem to lend itself very well to a game like Tsunami Sweeper though(?). Maybe a short instructional video with voice over would be best.

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this, and on the game&site. Particularly the Tsunami Sweeper mode since that is the new part, and especially from anyone who has figured out how to play it... I think the how to play section at here describes this pretty well(?). Let me know what you think.

Thanks, LiquidAsh.