Ann: Taskforce, new X-COM like

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Mark Sheeky, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Taskforce is a turn based strategy game where you command an elite team of soliders on a variety of missions. There is a deep plot based story, and lots of simulator missions, and you can play any completed mission at any time. Each mission has random factors, such as random starts for the enemies and some missions have randomised maps.

Like X-COM, maps are 3D (there are stairs and elevators),Taskforce is also 3D polygon based. There are a large variety of enemies, each with their own strengths and weaknessess, as the plot of the villain, October Morgane, is revealed.

More information, screenshots, and the download on the taskforce page.

Mark
    Cornutopia Games
    http://www.cornutopia.net

2. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Are you going to make me get stuck playing another of your games? I shouldn't even download it. My work will be in danger!

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thumbs up on this, even for the idea only. As soon as I have time I'll try the demo.
    Finally someone not re-making the same casual game... :D

4. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Cool! I'll definitely check it out this weekend. Like Jack, I'm glad to see an Indie developer doing something different.

5. serg3d

Original Member

Is destructable enviroment implemented/planned ? The holy grail of turn-based squad combat :)

6. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Wow, thanks for the warm messages! I've always liked these sorts of games, my first game called Taskforce was on Amiga in 1994 (not a very good game). Hilt II, an Amiga sequel, is still quite popular I think.

The environment in Taskforce is destructable, but it can vary map by map. Basically I can specify whether a block is indestructable or not, which is sometimes essential to constrain the player. For most of the missions though, you can blast through walls (a 'rush raid' approach to the hostage rescue in the demo mission can work well, I've managed to complete that by blowing the walls to 3 sides of the room in one turn and quickly taking out the captors with snipers).

Mark

7. serg3d

Original Member

Demo isn't loading on my laptop :(
    WinXP SP2, DX9.0c runtime (SDK from 8.0) Radeon 9600 128 mb pro/turbo driver 6.14.10.6414, LCD 1600x1200
    Getting back screen.

8. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Hmm, that's not very good. I had a report that Flatspace failed on a Radeon 9700 card and the startup sequence for both games is the same...

Something in the back of mind can remember problems with an 8.0 SDK with 9.0 runtime... but I'm more confident that ATI are to blame :) In 2.5 years of running the engine I've yet to have one reported problem on an NVidea machine.

Thanks very much for the report!

Mark
    Cornutopia Games

9. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Plenty of Radeon based systems here, Flatspace was running fine on 7200/9500/9700/9800 with the latest Cats, haven't had a chance to try your latest title yet though Mark ;)

10. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Hi Dave!

Thanks a lot for that info. I've had graphics errors reported on some of those cards so the fact that it does work sometimes is good news.

Mark
    Cornutopia Games

11. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Certain driver releases are more than a little buggy (especially with OpenGL) so its not surprising really, will let you know if I find anything with TF tonight. (and keep an eye open for PayPal activity ;))