ANN: Storm is released.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by happymonster, Sep 5, 2004.

1. happymonster

Original Member

Hi there,

I'm pleased to announce the release of my first shareware game Storm:

"An arcade style mission based shooter: Featuring 8 way directional movement and firing, completely destructable terrain, 50 missions and 24 different collectable weapons!"

Screenshots:
    http://www.reflectedgames.com/stormshot1.html
    http://www.reflectedgames.com/stormshot6.html
    http://www.reflectedgames.com/stormshot0.html

Fetures:

50 Missions to complete.
    24 Different Weapons to collect.
    Switch between 4 different weapons.
    8 Way Directional Thrust for superior control.
    8 Way Directional Firing for accurate aiming.
    Many Missions feature destructable terrain.
    Dig through solid rock with weapons and explosions.
    Explore Caverns and Enemy Bases.
    Battle with Mines, Ships, Guns & Lasers.
    3 Difficulty Modes and multiple mission paths.

More information, screenshots, and a free 9 level demo are available from:
    http://www.reflectedgames.com

The full game costs $19.99 and can be purchased through the website or BMT Micro Inc.

Thank you! :)
    Richard.

2. happymonster

Original Member

No comments at all? :(

3. patrox

Indie Author

Doesn't work, just leaves an icon in the taskbar, no game to be found anywhere.

pat.

4. Carrot

Indie Author

Hi,
    I liked the game a lot, well done!
    A few comments though: the mouse didn't work on the options screen, or worked intermittently. It appeared to be a polling problem, like the mouse polling was on a lower priority.
    The graphics were nice, especially touches like being able to destroy parts of the scenery, though I thought the aliens were a bit small and 'fidgety', finding it quite tough to even hit them.

I'm not sure if you have the option, but using the keyboard only allows to eight-way directional shooting. I'd have liked to use the mouse.

The frontend was functional, if a little dull/sparse.
    All in all, I enjoyed playing Storm. Good luck with it.
    Ciaran.

#4 Carrot, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  5. Carrot

Indie Author

A couple more things: the 'buy now' button doesn't work on the exit screen, it says it can't find the shortcut.
    Also, I know difficulty is a big concern in these type of games, but I managed to complete the demo without firing a single shot!

I think the people who buy this type of game might tend to be a bit more 'hard-core' gamer and might need it to be a bit more challenging (just my opiniion though).
    After playing the demo through, I would also have liked to see more variation in the later levels. The mission idea is nice, but I get the feeling that I'm just playing the same level each time. The trees were a welcome distraction.
    cheers,
    Ciaran,

6. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Excellent game. I kept thinking of Pocket Tanks while I played it. Does it use the same engine? I would have liked a map of some sort. Also, a "look ahead" key would be great for seeing those Hunter Mines before I fly directly into one of their hives. :) Some of the old side-scrolling platform games for the PC used to allow you to look up and down a little bit, for example. I also couldn't get the registration link to work (although I tried, as I'm looking forward to playing more of this).

7. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It appeals to me in terms of content and level variety and I think something like this could be a pretty fun game. I also think that this game is somewhat broken though. I do have a number of specific... complaints...

The main problem is that it feels... It doesn't quite feel polished or pro. It has an enthusiastic hobbyist feel. That's not too bad in itself and many of my favorite indie games fall into that category, but in this case I'd say there's too much detail left unattended to and too many things not quite polished up.

One problem for instance is that I can finish the entire demo set without using my weapon by simply flying by all the enemies. They aren't dangerous enough and I don't need to take them on to win the level. Just fly and find the computer or wormhole or whatever. So the gameplay is not tweaked well enough or the goals arent set right.

The interface is a little too complex. Lots of clicking and selections of packs and missions and so on. I think I'd prefer it were vastly simplified and had less layers or was visually simpler.

Technically the game exibited a number of bugs (some mentioned above to do with buy screens etc...) and played pretty slow on my fairly fast powerful machine.

Graphically the game is mediocre. Certainly not up to the par of current other sci fi releases on the indie market. Thats part of what gives it that hobbyist feel. The sound and music are good though.

Congrats on finishing your first game. I do like it in many ways and I'm not sure I'd make many changes to it other than addressing obvious bugs and seeing if there's any obvious things you could do to speed it up. But overall, It might be best to take what you learned from this game and start on a new title. I don't think this game will make much money, but I think it's a promising start if you've never completed a title before, and don't have all that much game dev experience. I think maybe this title to a certain extent is too ambitious. You have to design all the enemies and ships and levels and missions and weapons. Lots of work.... I would suggest you aim for a simpler game with less content and spend more time polishing up the details on your next game. Also Id suggest you find some pro artist to help you with the artwork.

8. NuriumGames

Original Member

Hi

I like the concept a lot, but as someone said is a bit unpolished. Anyway I find this title quite relaxing, very good for a break.

I think you should allow the use of the 'Brake' key when playing with mouse, also I would like the ship (and maybe the enemies too) move a little faster.