[ANN] Steam Brigade released

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ryan thom, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Nexic

Indie Author

Yeh I really agree with that statement. I felt a little lost when playing the tutorials.

2. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

So, we'll have to settle this highlander-style at the next meet-up? :)

Have a look at this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...shell/reference/functions/shgetfolderpath.asp

The "Remarks" section seems to explain it. I hope this helps!

3. Pyabo

Original Member

Is it too late to change the name of your company?!? You do realize that "pedestrian" as an adjective means ordinary or dull... ?

pedestrian

Or are you going for the Hamumu-style humorous approach? "Coming soon: Mediocre games!"

4. ryan thom

Original Member

Yep, we're aware of that. The notion was "Uncommon games by common people". But we haven't put that up anywhere, as we haven't decided on the precise wording. We're still working on our "mission statement" also. j/k

5. ryan thom

Original Member

Regarding the magnet, I wonder if the fundamental problem is that people expect the sides of the magnet to be sticky. Was that your original notion?

Regardless, the thing we may do to try and help this is to make the bottom "sticky" surface of the magnet to be exactly the same width as the collision box of the the magnet itself (ie the same width as the sprite). The sticky surface was made thinner to reduce the number of occurances where the infantry or engineer sprite didn't line up with the magnet (the rifle or wrench sometimes didn't connect even though the geometry did). But, gameplay first. We'll give it a shot!

6. ryan thom

Original Member

Ryan: Thanks for the link. We'll include this in the next build, hopefully this weekend.

7. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Great. Post again (or PM me) when it's ready and I'll test it out for you.

8. Arthur[VD]

Original Member

9. Jamie Cheng

Original Member

Hey another Vancouverite! Here's my 2c:

-- The art is beautiful. Congrats! As we know from our game, the right art really makes a huge difference, and I think you guys did a great job on making everything looks very polished.

-- I only played the demo so far, but the gameplay is fun. The UI was intuitive (though I thought I was supposed to use my mouse at first), and I enjoyed the general mechanic of picking things up and moving them around.

-- Having said that, the air-ship is quite sluggish to handle. I understand it's because you're applying a force so it takes time to decelerate / accelerate, but i found it really annoying to have to go alllll the way back to refill my air-ship because i accidentally got shot a few times. Perhaps tweaking the force a bit more, or making it so it's faster to stop than to accelerate, and increasing the top speed would help. IMHO, if the air-ship was much easier to handle, the game would suddenly also become much more fun and addictive.

-- Also, I feel like the magnet should be restricted to an acute angle, so I don't have the magnet ever facing the sky. That seems to only frustrate and slow down the pace of the game.

-- I'd love to try this multiplayer. I like the back-and-forth feel of the game.

Congrats on a great game! I hope it does well for you.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

10. ryan thom

Original Member

If possible, I could really use some more feedback on the font. Anyone else have difficulty reading it? Anyone really like it and think it should stay?

11. ryan thom

Original Member

Hey thanks Jamie!

-We may try to work mouse input back in there.
    -Multiplayer is *definitely* in the works!
    -Good suggestion about the airship. I was quick to poo-poo any changes to the acceleration (sorry Nexic), but perhaps having "brakes" be more powerful than "gas" is the key. Will experiment...

12. tolik

Original Member

This is an amazing game... I do remember seeing something similar as secret levels in Tyrian, however this one is so extensive and cool. High production values though. Difficulty is quite high from the beginning.

13. ryan thom

Original Member

Ok, there's a new build up. You can find Steam Brigade 1.0.2 here: http://www.pedestrianentertainment.com/download_steambrigade

Ryan - it should now detect the OS and use a different method to determine the path to store the settings file if it's win98. I still don't have a win98 machine running, so no guarantees (definitely on "the big list").

Nexic, others - the tutorials have been redone to be more of a step-by-step instruction style. You guys were so right - this is much better already. Probably one or two holes in our logic, but definitely a step up.

Tolik - thanks!

Next come more flight control experiments and a graceful way of letting people know they should update their video drivers. The crash that would happen if OpenGL was not supported has been fixed, but now it runs VERY slowly in software mode instead, which is a pain.

Lastly, does anyone else have any comments on the font? Anyone really like it and think it should stay?

#33 ryan thom, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  14. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Unfortunately, I get the same error as before. I suspect it doesn't like the fact that the missing DLL is even linked. It looks for it and doesn't find it.

I would suggest that you drop whatever non-Win98 method you're using, and use only the Win98 compatible method. It should work on 2k, XP, and 98 that way, right? If you've already got the workaround, I don't see the downside.

Good luck!

15. ryan thom

Original Member

Working on mouse input at the moment... what would you guys think about a "click here to move here" and "click that unit to pick it up" sort of interface, rather than mapping mouse movements to thrust?

16. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Users seem to like character moving towards where the mouse is positioned. Here iif mouse on left/right of screen it moves left/right, above/below character moves up/down. If mouse somewhere close to character stays still.

The other option would be like in Space Taxi 2 which wouldn't work in your game as would constantly need to pick up the mouse and drag it repeatedly left/right to scroll the screen (not fun).

Also, be sure to have your game auto-detect mouse or keyboard usage instead of asking them what type of control or burrying it in options screen.

17. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah, a nice abstracted mouse "go here, go there" system should really make the game more accessable. Magneting will probably introduce some oddities, short of making right click the ON/OFF button. It's a tricky one, but introducing "mouse something" should make a huge difference. Allowing a swapable button setup for Warcraft players and lefties might win some people over.

Going to a mouse control, I have to recommend thinking of or looking at Diablo. Not many gamers really realized how accessable the game was. It took seeing my mother play the game quite competently before I noticed.