[ANN] Spirited Heart Flash

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jack Norton, May 9, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

It's my game ported to Flash, I commissioned it to an external contractor (since I still can't do much with Flash). Not the fullgame obviously, would have costed too much to port.
    If you already played the downloadable or bought it - nothing new to see really :)

Game is up on Kongregate and of course the reception is warm like my previous VN attempt:
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/winterwolves/spirited-heart-flash

everybody complaining that "is a demo" :D yeah, well... it is.

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Interesting.

Out of interest, why kongregate? Surely there are better venues for it (does the miniclip audience skew a bit more that way for instance). I would imagine the audience at kong are predominantly younger males.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes definitely kongregate public doesn't like it :) I have yet to submit to all the various flash sites though.

4. JGOware

Indie Author

yep...not a game for the typical flash sites. Still...don't let the kong ratings worry you too much, you'll probably get a few sites adding it from kong. Is it playable from your own site yet? That would be an obvious choice as well. Place ads in/around the game, etc, etc. Every little bit $ helps. ;)

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I wanted to just put the game to external site to bring visitor to game page and get downloads (and hopefully sales). However the result so far has been terrible, I can clearly see that while flash+downlodable might work for some kind of games, for that one (manga/cute life sim) is a disaster :eek:
    (would have made more sales spending $50 on banner ads!)

6. JGOware

Indie Author

nah.. you have to think long term with these flash promo games. And you might want to change "get the deluxe version" to "more games" if you're looking for clickys.

Submit the game to as many sites as you can, over time it will probably pay off, but it's certainly not the type of flash game to go viral quickly. ;)

7. Escapee

Original Member

Another effective way to monetize traffic from flash source is to place beautiful graphic ads (ie adsense) on the site but I can understand why many dedicated indie developers refuse to do it.

Just uploaded your game on my hardcore girly site so hoping to get you more useful traffic and contributing a few cents of mochi $$$. :D

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thanks Escapee :)
    Yes, the game does MUCH BETTER on girl-oriented websites. I've a friend who has one too and said it does well (he gets good paying adsense around it).
    Still haven't tracked any sales :D oh well, was just an experiment anyway.

9. JGOware

Indie Author

It's featured by mochi, should do well for the next few days!

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ah lol I didn't even notice! Cool.
    Mochi surely are experts of flash, they recognize a topgame when they see one! ;)

11. whisperstorm

Original Member

have you tried getting it featured on amaranthia.com? Seems like an ideal audience for it.

12. manicmilkman

manicmilkman New Member

Hey Jack, if you haven't submitted it to the other 'major' ones (newgrounds, etc)- I'd suggest getting rid of the Get Deluxe version on the main menu; instead add some links back to your main site. Alot of people will rate 0 if it has an obvious upsell. Try to put in a good amount of content and leave the major upsell til the end. TFowers gave a presentation I'll try to dig up that cites some good practices for getting success on these types of sites with upselling games. The key is to get good ratings early to move up the charts though.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ah thanks for the info. I saw other games who had an upsell in the main menu too, so thought was the best place. I submitted on newground and NOBODY complained about "demo". It seems to be a kongregate-only thing, I didn't got any complaints anywhere else.
    I doubt amanda wants to put something on her site that redirects to mine :D but maybe I can do a custom version for her.

14. Escapee

Original Member

From my experience, Kongregate players are more hostile towards non violent games than newground. There was even one wanted to kill my adorable and peaceful angel.......

Player's comment
    :D

BTW, Any chance you would let us know if there is any improvement on game sales after a few days of flash promo ??

#14 Escapee, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yep, kongregate=violence,blood,zombies :D
    I tracked a few sales from it, which is surprising to me.
    Nothing exceptional of course, but if you can do your own game in flash (without paying someone external lots of $$$) might be worth it!

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

17. zoombapup

I wonder about this all. I mean clearly kong and newsgrounds isnt ideal for something like a VN. But to have a flash version of it is the bigger question. Its not unreasonable to think that if you created the full version using flash, then the reach of it would be far higher. You could easily create a facebook version and monetize that for instance.

For VN's I think downloading is perhaps not the right way to go. So I guess the question is, how hard would it be to simply create the VN thing in flash? Then you can look at reach and monetization.

Certainly the requirements of the games suggest nothing to me that would require anything flash cant do. Plus you can embed exe versions using a few different approaches.

18. hippocoder

Indie Author

Really nice but I think its spoiled by the crap wood behind the text... an ornate border of glimmering steel and scrollwork with transparent dark middle like in the latest rpgs would be far nicer.

Been playing it a bit. I think its out of touch with todays market and too noisy in terms of bars and how many clicks I have to do.

At one point I had to click to get to the yes/no option. Instead of just being presented with yes/no.

I also think the typeface is horrendous and uninspriring and small.

I think there's a really hot game here let down by presentation and small niggly bits.

Thinking about it further, I just dont like the stats screen, the bars are tiny in the kongregate window, and I can't see shit. I think for flash (and for mobile) a redesign was needed, with say 4 primary stats and points to spend them on... and some nice polish with some kind of glue holding it together. I'd started the game but there was no direction, it seemed to me I would just repeat those options till I got bored?

What would work is that new mystery detective game of yours. Seems broad and straightforward and with big bars of text. I'd make that bad boy an iphone/ipad game and then just stop the player dead at a cliffhanger bit with an in app purchase.

#18 hippocoder, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well that game isn't really a VN. Especially the flash version, which is missing the romance / random events. It's more a princess-maker clone. I know is not one of the best clones of course :)
    I don't think would change much with a flash buy option, but I don't have the knowledge to make a full flash version anyway, and honestly I hate AS3 (as you might already know).
    As for ipad/iphone, no thanks. I don't get why a game magically should sell more on another platform. People buy a game if is good / if they like it. Not if is on iphone, if is flash, etc...

20. zoombapup

True, but the population of potential buyers differs by platform type and demographic etc. Its not really a surprise that kong isnt the ideal place for a visual novel, given their audience of young males.

If you can find a place that has a more female bias, then I think a flash version could do well. So I'd definitely want to match the audience to the product or vice versa.