[ANN] Samurai Soul Hunters

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Dan MacDonald, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well, with all the "discussions" I've had on these forums advocating creating games your are passionate about (as opposed to games the casual portals are interested in publishing) it's high time I put my money where my mouth is.

About 8 weeks ago a friend of mine who I had first started game programming with in high school came to work with me at the company I work for. Right about that time I was discussing a game idea with my artist friend DayDream (who posts here from time to time). He came up with a mock-up that was just screaming to be built, I approached my dev buddy from work and the 3 of us decided to get serious about making a game for Microsofts Dream Build Play competition.

With only 8 weeks until the deadline, we had to plan our approach carefully. We allowed 2 weeks for building technology with XNA, as a rule, no system could take more then 2 days to implement. If it was going to take longer then that we evaluated if it was really necessary to implement it. The one exception to this was the physics system which took about 4 days. We spent the next 6 weeks focused purely on implementing/refining game play and adding content.

The result, I think, exceeded all our expectations and we are optimistic about our chances in the competition. There are a lot of great entries so placement is not guaranteed by any means. Still, given the time that we had I don't think we could have done much more.

Here's a screenshot of one of the bosses... (I can't take an evocative screenshot to save my life)

[​IMG]

Singleplayer is fun enough, but still needs a little work.

Where the game really shines is in multilplayer as a party game...

So here's a video of me and 3 co-workers playing this afternoon at the office :)

Samurai Soul Hunters 4 Player video

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Great video. The art style is top notch and the game play is very unique. Daydream always does top notch work.

I'm sold. When can we play? :)

3. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Wow, this is a nice game. The video makes me want to play the game.
    As always, DayDream did a great job.

4. princec

Indie Author

When do we get to play? I've just gone out and bought a joypad for my PC... :D

Cas :)

5. Drake

Indie Author

Great looking game, Dan, congrats and good luck! Super impressive for 8 weeks of development. :eek:

6. electronicStar

Original Member

Looks very nice, how can you have 4 players simultaneously? gamepads?

7. MFS

MFS New Member

Very, very nice.

Sad though, as the gameplay is extremely similar to the game I am currently working on =(

A screenshot from Gearo: http://members.gamedev.net/cobyutter/Gearo_SS1.png

But it looks like a ridiculous amount of fun. I can't wait to play!

8. DayDream

Indie Author

Yes... It's been developed in XNA - running on Xbox360 and PC with 4 game pads - and believe me it's as fun as it looks :)

9. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Killer killer killer, hope it does well. Congrats on submitting!

10. membrain

membrain New Member

those bosses look WHICKED! especialy the 2nd one :D

11. Dan MacDonald

Glad you guys like it :)

Right now we're just recovering from loss of sleep over the past few weeks, but we plan to get right back to it in a few days. As far as the contests no they say they'll let the top 20 know that they are finalists on or around the week of the 16th. Fingers crossed! :cool:

12. Uesugi

Uesugi New Member

Wow, looks fun. I'm impressed with the fog on the horizon and how the enemies fade into color as they approach. And it was funny to see the second boss scratch his head a few times, as if he was bored fighting the undead samurai. Good luck!

By the way, I noticed a spelling error ;)

"Time to resurrect the hero's of the past."

13. Dan MacDonald

There's no error in that is there? Checked out OK with word's spell check ;)

The fog is achieved by a pixel shader, one of the nice things about targeting the Xbox 360, even with a 2D style game is that you can use the full benefit of modern technology. Instead of spending your time trying to make you game run on intel chipsets, you spend your time writing cool effects and playing with the hardware. It's a much more enjoyable way to program games, to be sure.

#13 Dan MacDonald, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  14. Greg Squire

Original Member

I think he's saying it should be "heroes of the past" (plural form) instead of "hero's of the past" (possessive form). More of a grammar thing than a spelling thing.

Anyway, it looks awesome! The art is top notch and it looks really fun to play. Good Luck with the competition!

15. Dan MacDonald

Man, I have no excuse, I can't even claim English as a second language! I blame my half German half Australian artist! :D

16. Dan MacDonald

the top 20 finalists just went live on the www.dreambuildplay.com site, SSH was among them. The winners will be announced at gamefest on aug 13th

(fingers crossed) :cool:

17. datxcod

Original Member

Awesome game. But do you think a game like this could sell as well as the more "casual" games in the PC market ?

18. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

ROFL - that's sure darn hectic video! :D

That's excellent job done in so little time! I'm very impressed.

19. Dan MacDonald

I doubt it, the controls are designed around an Xbox 360 controller, there really isn't a good way to convert them to keyboard controls and have it be at all compelling. Perhaps when GamesForWindows gets some steam and perhaps if there are more 360 controllers there would be a small market interested in it. But for now, I don't see this have much chance for making money outside of XBLA.

20. Dan MacDonald