ANN: Qwak on iPhone ... out now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jamie W, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

yep...not listed on my itunes front page either. :(

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Congrats on the release! I'm assuming you did it yourself in and didn't outsource it?

3. Sue

Sue New Member

It is on my News and Noteworthy first 32, but it shows a yellow duck on a purple background, not the screenshot.

4. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Ah, for me it was one of those oblong icons, as you can see in the screen capture above, a bit bigger that the regular AppStore app icons.

Yep Jake, I just released it myself, and handlie all the PR myself too; I'm not 100% convinced on the wisdom of paying someone to do PR (they're never going to know your product and customers as well as you do yourself).

So, I've pretty much been organising it all myself, using spreadsheets to track all my activity in a meaningful manner, developing my own press contacts etc, and I've got them all in tracked in a spreadsheet. Seems a pretty sensible way of handling it (for now).

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Sounds good. I should have been clearer though, I meant did you code it yourself?

6. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

But there are people out there that even if they don't know your product create great PR's. Better than I would expect and that I would do myself.

7. Jamie W

Ah right! Yes, coded it all myself, and extended my own cross-platform engine to support iPhone ... which I might ask your advice on selling that at some point if i may? :).

It was a little scrappy (messy) coding wise though, because the PC and Mac version is build with PTK, so I had to re-direct all the PTK calls through to my own engine. For future games I make though, my game logic code can link directly to my own engine, which should work well.

8. Bmc

Bmc New Member

You should look into Kanji, it's an updated version PTK that includes an iPhone/iPad version

9. Jamie W

Ah yeh, I had an Email from Emmanual about it some time back; I just wanted to code my own engine layer interface thingy, to sit between my game's source, and openGL and some iPhone OS stuff.

Was definitely the best move for me, and I'm really happy with my own engine (that I know inside out), but best of luck to Emmanual with Kanji (assuming he is main dev working on it?), PTK was a great 'foot in the door' for me... :)

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Cool. Sure ask me about my framework if you like although it was only for Blitz of course, and there was no other framework so selling it was easy.

11. Jamie W

12. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Well done Jamie, it has a lot of good press so gl with top 100!!!

My m8s game Dominos Adventure was featured by TA and it went from new and noteworthy to whats hot to what were playing so 3 excellent weeks of coverage, lets hope Qwak gets the same treatment with Apple:)

Darren.

13. Jamie W

Limited time sale, 66% off, just while the 1.1 update comes; which has..

Better, configurable controls.
    Option to resume your game.
    Tweaked the difficulty level down a bit (so regular mortals can now enjoy the game).
    Auto-fire option (like having a semi-automatic egg firing gun).

Didn't get online scores in to 1.1, I wanted to focus more on the controls.Will deffo have online scores in 1.2 though, will be working on that next...

14. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Wow, I'm buying. So many good, cheap games lately!

15. Jamie W

Thanks mate! :) You won't regret it. Update 1.1 should be along soon (submitted this morning in fact).

16. Reactor

Custom controls sounds good. The current ones feel worthy of some tweaking ;) Can I also suggest volume levels for music and sound in a future update? The music seems quite quiet.

17. Jamie W

Update 1.1 is out. More control config options. Continue game option. Plus more...

Might have a look at upping the volume level for the music in 1.2, thanks.

18. Reactor

I was just about to post about that. Nice update. The control setups are much nicer (control 4 ftw) and the ability to continue is excellent. I don't know if the autofire is a good option to have defaulted on, but... I'm a purist, so... :)

A few simple of things-

- sometimes the menu buttons don't press (the click on/drag off sometimes means they make a noise but do nothing, which might confuse some people)

- The main menu layout looks unbalanced. It logically makes sense in its layout, but it looks a bit strange and thrown together. <- I hope that makes sense!

- The options screen (control config) might be an idea from the in-game menu.

19. Jamie W

Yep, well spotted, and agree with most points you make.

I think the front end UI does feel a bit 'cobbled-together', probably because it is! I mean, it's based on the design for the PC and Mac version, so trying to squeeze that in to the iPhone, was never going to be ideal, and certain not as good as designing something from scratch, for the device.

You're right about the buttons too; I've been aware of this issue, and really need make some changes; probably, I'll just activate the buttons on a 'finger down' event.

My reasoning for setting auto-fire to default to on, was to help mask the issues some people are having with the controls (auto-fire somewhere eliminates the need to keep tapping the screen etc). Also, it makes the game easier, so people can get futher in to it, and see all the lovely later levels.

Will wait and see what the general consensus is on the controls, may make some changes again, or add additional options, perhaps even having a specific control configuration screen..

20. Reactor

True, although two options come to mind that'd clean it up a tiny bit. The first is just balancing the options on the right and left sides of the screen. Or, putting some on the left and right, and the continue one centred above everything else.

Or, you could centre everything and have it scrollable like when you set the time on the iPhone. I think the above options would be more Qwak-like, though.

Either way, no biggie. The game still works :)

Cool.

I guess that's true (just thinking about what the average person is like) although one element I always liked about Qwak was the aspect of being careful with the amount of eggs you had.

Sure. The only issue I had with the new control setups were the scrolling movement type wasn't too easy for me to personally use, and it was a bit confusing as to why with control lays like 4, the right movement box was bigger than the left one. I guess it is in reality, but it was quite confusing to see it drawn that way, since some of the control methods have them drawn as the same size.