ANN: Penumbra - Requiem

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jens, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jens

jens New Member

Hi!

Wanted to drop a quick note that we have finished the expansion for Penumbra: Black Plague, dubbed Penumbra: Requiem. The Penumbra series ended with Penumbra: Black Plague but we felt we wanted to make an expansion that explored physics puzzles further, no puzzles in the expansion use the inventory, we also wanted to add some last bits of pieces to the story for those eager to get some final answers.

Platforms: Windows, with Mac & Linux soon to be released
    Site: http://www.penumbrarequiem.com/site
    Images(and soon trailer): http://www.penumbrarequiem.com/site/media.php

About the gameplay:
    "Penumbra: Requiem is to be considered an epilogue to Penumbra: Black Plague and not as a new episode in the Penumbra series. The main goal with Penumbra: Requiem has been to focus more on the physics puzzles and to see how far the current game engine could be pushed. This has made Requiem into a game that focuses more on gameplay and puzzles than the previous Penumbra instalments and a game that is more experimental in nature.

Although having a strong emphasis on puzzles the game still features a dense atmosphere, a trade mark of the Penumbra series. In Penumbra: Overture the goal was to induce strong fears from isolation, in Black Plague a main theme was paranoia and in Requiem you'll find a nightmarish and feverish atmosphere.

Penumbra: Requiem is an attempt to deliver a fresh and rewarding experience and not just some rehash of previous material."

Cheers

2. JoKa

Indie Author

Not sure if it's a good idea to require the age before showing any content. Just left the site.

3. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Hmm, the box for the trailer (that isn't up yet I know) remains white and overlaps/blocks the pics as they pop up. This is running on Firefox 3.

Re: the age verifier. I imagine more mature content may be on it's way? This is getting kinda standard on some game sites so I don't see any reason to not include it if your content warrants it.

-Tony

4. JoKa

Indie Author

This kind of age verification is laughable anyway, why not use the youp*rn method, which is at least faster? ;)

You could show a short info text and/or a picture to raise tension what terror and fear awaits behind that barrier. At least any kind of information. This way it's simply boring and senseless. Guess only kids will find it appealing, because their curious about the forbidden stuff behind.

5. jens

jens New Member

Is it like this now as well? Not sure what you mean and I don't get anything like it in Safari, IE or FF3! Could perhaps be that ads block or similar interfere? I get missing images/odd behaviour for some sites when running with ad blocking enabled.

As for the age verification, indeed adding some sort of teaser prior to the age verf. as is a good idea. But you are quite limited to what you can do with mature rated games(or related media) before doing the age check. Yes it is also a quite odd method to check the viewer age but the rules for mature content are as they are and the site (and game) simply follows them.

6. Ratboy

Original Member

Heh... that's one explosive bottle of ketchup this game has...