[ANN] New Flash game "MegaDrill", Screenshot and Trailer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by kevintrepanier, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Hey everyone!

Finally a new game is coming close to an end. I present you MegaDrill, an action game based on an addicting bite-sized play sessions flow which brings the player in the depth of the earth in search of treasures! The game has been in active bidding over at FGL since this week-end and is already getting attention from several sponsors. You can watch the trailer of the game at the following adress:

MegaDrill Trailer on Youtube

For those of you who have a FGL account, you can try the game over there.

Play MegaDrill on FGL

And finally, a couple of screenshots!!

[​IMG]

2. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

I wanted to try the game but don't have a Flash Games Licence :( Any where else I can play?

Not sure if you care, but, I think the graphics look a little cheap.

In either case, good luck on the game! Hope it brings mega bucks.

3. kevintrepanier

Here's a temporary link. I'll take it down in a day or two but for those who want to try:

http://www.smallinteractive.com/MegaDrill.html

The sponsor bidding is starting in brute force and I'm already assured a decent salary for the development time (which is of about 6 months part time work).

4. Sue

Sue New Member

Unless I'm doing something wrong here you seem to have a frustratingly short amount of time before the fuel runs out. Making so little progress does not inspire me to want to keep playing. Am I meant to do something to stop the fuel running out?

5. Sue

Sue New Member

OK I finally managed to start buying more fuel - still think the timing for the fuel could be tweeked though - it is very frustrating running out of fuel so quickly. BTW I like the graphics, I don't think they look cheap - it suits the style.

6. Morpher

Morpher New Member

Great game! I've collected 240k :)

7. Jamie W

That's right Sue, you have to collect a little treasure on your first go (you won't get much), then use it to upgrade your ship (more fuel etc), so you can get further on the next level..

8. Karja

Original Member

This game is deviously addictive, but after I'd upgraded everything and still had 10 weeks to go I felt no incentive to go on. Still, up 'til that point I just had to dig...one...more...time.

9. kevintrepanier

Thanks everyone for the replies! I still have to work on the balance of the game a bit. I hope I can make it a bit tighter with the weeks count!

10. HDL

HDL New Member

That was fun. The music and the 'so much money' thing was good. The graphics are perfect for the type of game it is. They're polished and nice and they work and they didn't look at all cheap to me. It's a nice little time waster game. I can easily see this something I'd have fun playing on Kongregate for badges.

With six days left though once I'd bought all the upgrades I did get a little bored. There seemed to be nothing more to spur me on. Okay I lie, there was the trophy room but nothing seemed to indicate that getting all the trophies would do anything.

I'll disagree with Sue's comments about the fuel. I felt the game was perfectly scaled. It starts off hard where you have to get every coin you can to buy the upgrades. It gives a sense of achievement when you manage to scrape up enough for the next upgrades, purchasing more fuel and being able to go further. I liked how even if I didn't manage to pick up coins I got a reward for how far I'd went which meant there was a continual sense of progress and no wasted trips. In some similar games I've had problems with that.

The trophy room was a nice touch. Are the emeralds the blue stones? Or have I just not seen them yet?

Sometimes when I sent my mole out it wouldn't take the gem. Is there a reason for this?

It's a good game. Good luck with the bidding war and I hope you get a nice amount for it.

11. kevintrepanier

The link is now down. Thanks all for your replies. I'll make an announcement when the game is released and will probably post some datas too for those interested.

12. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

Congratulations, this was great fun! A well made game: beautiful sense of progression and interesting choices, both in upgrades, and when playing. Instant fun.

Agree with the comments that the only time you get to decide weather you do something else then play this game is at the beginning, when fuels runs out unexpectedly too soon and second time when you reach full upgrades.

Way to go!

13. Sue

Sue New Member

The trophies were exchanged for cash to buy a boat. I also managed to get the upgrades with days to spare - but you need this to get a chance at buying a bigger boat at the end, I think. Even with all the upgrades I only managed to get a little dingy with outboard motor. Did anyone get a yacht?

14. HDL

HDL New Member

Oh I didn't realise the trophies were exchanged for cash at the end. I had quite a lot of them but I never played for the last 4 days since I didn't see the point. Whilst it was a fun game when I couldn't go any deeper and there didn't seem much else to gather I stopped playing.

15. Colm

Colm New Member

Nice work on the game Kevin, just sent you some feedback via email. Any chance of sharing the sponsorship bid sequence like the Fig 8 guys did?

16. kevintrepanier

Thanks Colm. Yes, I might share some numbers when the bidding is completed and the sponsor agree.

17. CymnChutt

CymnChutt New Member

ANN New Flash game "MegaDrill" Screenshot and Trailer

Thank-you The new titles ROCK, and ta very much for a new tidy forum

18. kevintrepanier

It's been quite a long time since MegaDrill was out but I finally made a report showing some numbers behind the sale.

Here is the link.

Hope it can be of use to someone.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

That was interesting read, thanks. Had no clue what was going behind the scenes with all those sponsorships. Seems a real headache!!
    I think 12k is well deserved for your game, but I would have hoped more. I think it was one of the most fun flash games I played this year.
    BTW how long took to you to make the game?

20. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks for posting, looks more like around 17K total. Not bad at all for 6 months part time doing something fun.