ANN: Mystic Inn

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Dear colleagues,

We're very proud to announce our new title, and debut title as Big Fish Studios Europe, Mystic Inn. Get it here:

mystic inn downloads (Windows. Mac version will follow shortly)

Help Daphne, the unfortunate hostess ensnared by the enchanted Mystic Inn. Serve patrons, get magic to upgrade your inn and break the mysterious curse. Mix your own potions, handle take-out orders, chase dragons, deal with singing frogs, harps and more!

Screenshots:
    mystic inn 1
    mystic inn 2
    mystic inn 3

You can also watch a video from the download page above.

Mystic Inn was created by the same team as Atlantis and Fairies (including singer Julianne Regan), with a lot of design input and support from the folks at Big Fish who never cease to amaze us.

Let us know what you think.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

2. jankoM

Indie Author

But you must admit that this (with spells and all sorts of magic stuff flying around) is the most different variation of them all on this subject.

Did you make this Emmanuell or is it general BFG? I was asking myself what will be the next thing you make.

edit: hehe - highly flamable combination now that I think of - Emmanuel + bbb/dd type of game :)

#2 jankoM, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  3. Anlino

Original Member

Wow, nice art indeed!

4. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

janko: we ex-funpausites made it, with the excellent support and input of the Seattle folks.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

5. Sakura Games

Original Member

Yes the fantasy setting is a very good idea. Actually I'm surprised that none of those great casual game designer thought about this so far (all variations of modern theme - beer, cakes, pizza... boring).
    As you can see there are still original ideas, even if expect "someone" coming here soon to post

6. Sharpfish

Original Member

The artwork looks very nice. I will leave comments on originality to others ;)

7. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

We played this last night, the missus likes it but then she likes diner dash.

8. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

My one complaint, (aside from it just being diner dash again, which I kinda liked but wasn't a huge fan of), is that the upgrades that occur to the bar as you progress are kinda dull. 1 table, 2tables, 4 tables.. that's not enough to keep me interested. Diner dash 2 is better that way. The upgrades are more cosmetically interesting. Maybe it gets better later on, but I would have opted for more dramatic interesting upgrades in the early levels that players will see in the demo, lest they think the whole game is just adding new tables.

9. jankoM

Indie Author

Played some more - the cursor had no alpha channel - white and black around .

10. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Oh yeah, the cursor flickers like a mother and sometimes you lose it alltogether, looks like a dirty rects problem.

11. papillon

Indie Author

... as with fairies, by whacking me straight in my fantasy fetish, you create something I can't *help* downloading. :)

12. joe

joe
    Original Member

Wow - this is the first Diner-Dash-like-game that gets my attention. Very nice artwork. I can't believe it - I'm just downloading a Diner-Dash-game :)

I let you know my opinion as soon as I played the demo!

13. Repton

Indie Author

I had fun with it, no tech glitches. Would be nice to force Willameena Witch to move away from the bar and serve customers instead of force filling trays until filled.

14. joe

joe
    Original Member

I have played the game for 45 minutes now and I like it very much. Very high production values! Also very cool bonus round! Indeed, this is the first diner-dash-like game I enjoyed playing! Congrats!

Okay, back to work now :)

15. papillon

Indie Author

When I exited the demo, the activemark screen was stuck - clicking on it in any way produced just a 'Busy' beep. Can't select any buttons, can't close it. Had to kill it from the task manager.

This is probably just a random activemark problem and nothing to do with the game though.

edit: 3:12
    When I tried to seat someone at a table that was too small for them, I was given no indication of why it didn't work. Not even a beep to indicate that it had tried and failed. I was confused and kept trying to re-select the group. (I hadn't noticed the tables were different sizes, I haven't played this gamestyle before.)

edit: 3:20
    Also, again, this may be an activemark bug - it exited *incredibly* abruptly in the middle of a round and now claims my free trial has expired. Timestamps show that I haven't even had the game *installed* for an hour, much less played it for an hour, since I played five minutes first, then closed the program (with some bugginess) and did other things, then went back to it.

#15 papillon, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  16. spellcaster

Original Member

Ok, this is the first diner dash clone I tried. And I kinda liked it.

But I agree that the upgrades are boring. See, since it's an upgrade, it should kinda be a reward for the player - and for that it's too boring.
    If it's not too much trouble, you could add some non-gameplay relevant items as well - I don't know, an image at a wall, some candles, etc.

I also think it could need a bit more in the sound department. The music is great, but the sound effects are not in the same league.
    I'd expect some "hello" sounds if a group enters the Inn. Same if an order is wanted - kinda like the old "Hey Taxi!" in space taxi ;)
    This doesn't have to be real speech - something like the Nintendo-esque pseudo language would work well, IMO.

Some smaller issues:
    I consider it "impolite" to wait next to the customers - but I can't move to the bar if there's nothing to pick up.
    At first the "order indicators" had no meaning - while I got what thay mean later on, I think showing this in the tutorial would be a good move.

The board-game like plan. Seeing this plan, made the game look ... long. See, if I only have 15 minutes to waste, I wouldn't start this game, because now I have the feeling that it "takes too long".

There is no drawback if you have too many potions circling the bar. Besides that it irritates yourself. I think I'd prefer it, if the "extra" potions would disappear after going around for 5 rounds - clearing the bar, but scoring me a penalty.

This leads me to another thing - there is no "opponent". See, the Inn is enchanted, but there is no "witch" or "evil stepmother" person in the game - which is a good thing on one hand, since it doesn't provide negative feedback, on the other hand it makes the game too bland.

This brings me to another question: Once the game is available for download, can you still submit patches? Or is it "done"?

17. joe

joe
    Original Member

Weird. No technical glitches over here ;)

18. Ricardo C

Original Member

I'm usually ok with clones (except for the too blatant ones), but I'm not happy with this one.

I think it's the use of DD's gameplay in a fantasy setting. It's all a bit "look at the unlikely theme we used in order to mask the lack of originality elsewhere in the game". Its bid for originality comes across as cynical, I guess.

But yes, lovely artwork, good luck, etc. It just rubs me the wrong way.

19. Sharpfish

Original Member

I agree with these two points. However, one thing to remember is I'm not sure Emmanuel's sales pitch is "Look how original we are", I think it is once more a case of "there is a market to serve, so let's serve it with some more polished games". In other words, even though some of us don't always agree, it is clear that business has come first again at bigfunpausegamesfish. I haven't played the game because although I found the gfx interesting I know I wouldn't like the gameplay as I am not interested in DD/BBB type games really.

20. Sakura Games

Original Member

Well the potion composition is quite original (haven't seen it in any other tapper clones).
    Anyway as sharpfish says probably the big emmanuel fish right now is just counting the cashflow laughing when he sees posts about "originality"... (has happened before already, same story) :D