ANN: My Big Fish Games

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Sep 7, 2006.

1. yingerbread

yingerbread New Member

I think it is all about the cookie "afscr" that is set in your browser. A user that simply visits a page that has an iframe from bigfish on the site get the afsrc-cookie set to the affiliate code from the visited page.
    So the visitor even dont need to download a game at this time - he can do it weeks or month later. the cookie is still in the browser. even if you download a game from a totaly different page than your first visit the owner of the page from the first visit gets this contact!

2. ragdollsoft

Original Member

I guess this depends on the browser you use. Safari for mac as defaut setting does not allow cookies from framed content from another domain. I dont know for other browsers (someone does?)

3. yingerbread

yingerbread New Member

firefox win/mac is saving a cookie, IE7 not - as far as i could test

4. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

Can it be one of the IE7 updates that we have gotten in the last 14 days that changes the way cookies are treated?

5. Uesugi

Uesugi New Member

Big Fish Games has rearranged their pages, so check your links. Some pages that I used to link to (for example, their Mac games section) now return 404 errors....

Other pages just jump you to their main page.

6. liefy

Original Member

They also changed their game id, so i have to modify my site to fit the new case, all my game url(i include their gameid in my url) should be edited also, it's a nightmare to me. :(

liefy

7. JoKa

Indie Author

They don't require an email address before using their services. Guess everything is cookie-based now?
    Btw, how do you retrieve a game's ID?

8. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

They do require an email address, but they ask for it before installing the game, not before downloading. I am sure that affects affiliates (less emails entered, though they can be of higher quality).

best
    Roman

9. megreep

megreep New Member

and now, how I can track new contacts if there is no more email entered before downloads? Dropped a line to affiliate support about this, expecting answer.

10. Spaiz

Original Member

From now on, you will be getting new contacts after e-mail entered in already downloaded game.

11. JoKa

Indie Author

Ok, but how does the tracking work? And how do you get such specific information in time, do you bomb BFG support with questions continously or is there a secret source for insiders? ;)

12. mad_rain

mad_rain New Member

Hello,

1) But what about Big Fish logo everywhere? We want to promote our site - not Big Fish.

2) We don't want to loose customers! Your affiliate program based on cookies. And when the cookie expire we loose this customer.

13. megreep

megreep New Member

yes, I received email from support, following

14. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I am sorry but this one just makes me laugh. Isn’t that the whole point of the Big Fish system? Don’t you get credit for referring someone to Big Fish and they handle the rest for you. It's not that big fish is supplying content for your site or doing order fulfillment for your site. You are getting credit for referring people to Big Fish. At least that was my understanding of the system. You get credit for the customer for life but big fish manages the customer for you. Many people like this because it is less work for them. But if you want to promote your site rather than Big Fish, and you want to own and control the relationship with you customer rather than getting credit for it, then you shouldn't be using a system were you get credit for referring people to another site. You should consider a white label system that provided contents for your site without mentioning the name of the content provider.

I don’t want to sound like I am putting down the Big Fish system. I genuinely think it is a good system for some people. But you need to understand it for what it is. I think it is great for some people and completely inappropriate for many others. If you want to control your customers and your brand you should be using a while label system or getting direct deals with developers. If you choose to use a referral based system then you shouldn’t complain that you have to refer people to a different brand.

15. Didier

Original Member

So true! That's why Reflexive's affiliate program is still one of the best on the market today.
    White label is what 95% of professional affiliates want and that's just what Reflexive is focussing on.
    If you wanna make some pocket money go ahead and use BFG or the crappy Real affiliate program. But for people who take affiliate marketing serious, white label is what matter most.

So keep up the good work Reflexive :)

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

The only thing missing to Reflexive's affiliate system is a mac games section. Then I wouldn't ask anything more :cool:

17. Escapee

Original Member

Strongly agree, Reflexive system is very affiliate empowering. A mac game section would make Reflexive the most complete affiliate system in casual game market (or the entire ecommerce market :) ).

On the other hand, Bigfishgames make the job extremely easy for affiliate marketers. Both have their own strength though my preference goes to reflexive at the end of the day.

#157 Escapee, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2007
  18. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

The worst thing you can do for the long term success of your business is give your customers away. THE #1 expense in marketing is acquiring new customers - Big Fish has found a great way to basically make a profit off this by getting you to acquire new customers for them :)

I agree 100% with James, it is a very good system for alot of people but you must decide on what your business goals are. If it is to build a long term, successful business that has real value, you must grow your own customer base. That is why we left affiliate marketing as our main focus a year and a half ago and haven't looked back.

19. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I am a big fan of the Reflexive system as well and like the new feature that lets me put up the Rusty Axe logo when downloads are begun.

Lately I have been noticing a couple of things. Downloads are steady but conversions are poor - is this just the season? Also, my download completions are sometimes as low as 50% - does anybody do anything to try and hold customer attention during this time? Can the download box be put in a frame with interesting text or graphics to divert the users attention... or is this just an unavoidable fact of downloadable software?

20. Genimo

Indie Author

Reflexive system was our final choice too and I'm pretty happy with it!

Yes, now that lennard mentioned it, I did notice about 35% drop in CR from April to May. I don't have an explanation, maybe it is seasonal thing. It would be interesting to hear other website's stats and comments.

As for download completion rate goes, I think around 50%-60% is pretty normal. That's what we get here as well. Also, I don't believe it is because people get bored of waiting for download to complete; I think either connection gets dropped and they are lazy to restart, or they just click on download button and then click cancel without ever "starting" the download. This last one will get reported as incomplete download.

#160 Genimo, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2007