ANN: My Big Fish Games

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Dear all,

Big Fish Games has launched a new program, dubbed my big fish games that enables anyone to create their own portal page, select the featured and top 10 games, review them, and earn a 25% commission on any game sold through the page. Using a referral system, you also earn commissions on game sales of friends that you referred, and so on.

It can be an additional revenue stream in addition to your site's game sales, google adwords, text link ads, etc.

Yesterday was meant to be a first day for kicking the tires but ended up being a huge launch day instead.

Some articles about the program:
    msnbc
    yahoo finance
    abc

There is also a large number of articles in the printed press.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Fantastic idea.

3. soniCron

Indie Author

I also see you're giving away two free games. Are the developers being compensated? Kinda worries me a bit. :eek:

4. Emmanuel

soniCron: Yes. We never finance our marketing programs out of developers pockets, even though in the big picture, it will grow the platform and increase sales as a whole.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

#4 Emmanuel, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. soniCron

Indie Author

Great! Good to know!

Now that's settled: Very interesting idea with this program, I hope it works out for you guys! I noticed it on your site yesterday and was more than a little intrigued, but I was reluctant to check it out either until I found out if the developers were compensated or after the 30th. Guess I don't have to wait! Best of luck! :)

6. clilian

Original Member

Hi there's something I dont understand yet : advertizing for our bigfishgames web page is of course forbidden (I can understand why), but can we "link" to our page from our web sites ? is it considered as a kind of advertizing ?

Lilian :)

7. Emmanuel

clilian: of course, you're welcome to link to your page from your own site, blog posts, send email, and generally promote it as much as you want to! The only things we don't want is people deliberately hijacking BFG traffic by buying, for instance, google adwords for "big fish games", and people sending spam to promote their MBFG page.

A lot of customers have been sending people over to us already (some are pretty fanatic about the Mystery Case Files series for instance), and this is also a way of recognizing and rewarding that.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

8. clilian

Original Member

ah ok , thanks !

Lilian :)

9. Repton

Indie Author

The 5 games offered to me looked to be all BFG native titles. Wasn't really much choice.

The top earner on the list provided on the site has a similar nick to a BFG poster here, no?

The core idea should do very well for BFG.

10. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow!
    Do you mean "anyone" as in "anyone"?:eek:
    That's revolutionnary! Great idea!

11. Escapee

Original Member

Realarcade must be scratching their head already .. :p :p

12. Game Producer

Well, overall it looked okay, but here's some things that could need improvements:
    - When I launched my site (http://my.bigfishgames.com/gameproducer), and changed MY TOP 5 Favourite Games... it still seems to randomly choose any games they want
    - You cannot change 'top games by genre' (or get rid of it)
    - I'm missing a detailed explanation about how the 25% commission works - I mean... is it really the 25% from the game price? Or 25% for what BigFish earns? What about developers - do developers now get smaller cut?
    - Error occured when I put my address: I tried typing "Keski-Suomi" in the province/region section but this machine refused to accept it. I tried "n/a" which got refused as well. I tried "empty" (as In Finland we really don't use regions/provinces to get the mailboxes in the correct address :)) ... but that didn't work either as it said "you cannot leave province empty".
    - There was no (at least I didn't find it easily) a way to give a referral link from where people could sign up.

I'd say that basically the system looked okay: was fast to get account, easy to edit the layout etc. etc. but there's some options that could need to be fixed to make it even more interesting.

And *automatic*payment option would be nice. And it would be nice to choose checks OR paypal payment option.

I'll this also as feedback to to BigFish.

EDIT: I *would* have sent this as feedback, but there was 250 character limit. So. No can do.

#12 Game Producer, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  13. Matthew

Indie Author

Very clever setup! My little brother already jumped on it with a thousand or so customers from his affiliate projects. I'm curious to see how it plays out for him.

14. Tertsi

Indie Author

From their TOS:

"you will get 25% of the total purchase (before shipping and handling and taxes)"

Not really a big enough cut vs. competition.

15. Loover

Original Member

Great idea!

One question, can I sell my own games from this web (together with the bigfishgames)? I think that the answer is going to be "no".

16. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

I am always impressed at how BigFish takes an idea like affiliation and MySpace and then expands and innovates upon it to come up with great ideas. If you have the back end to handle it, this is a fantastic idea. Opening up affiliation to the world is a radical step and will definitely take a bit of support but BFG definitely has the manpower to pull it off.

17. Nexic

Indie Author

Yeh I agree, great idea for normal buyers but not enough commision to interest a real affiliate. Especially since Alawar gives 50% and there are others with similar rates.

18. picman

Original Member

Perspective from Paul AKA The Big Fish :)

Thanks for all the posts. Here is a few clarifications:
    1) All royalties are paid to members based on gross sales i.e. a $20 game pays out $5.
    2) Your referrals emails are reserved to you for life, so even if the user comes back in a year and buys a $20 game from Big Fish (not through your page) you still earn another $5.
    3) All royalties come out of Big Fish's portion, Game Developers are paid the same as before.
    4) If your referral (aka "friend") build their own Game Space, you earn 25% of BOTH their purchases and 25% of their "Rewards". Thus if your friends' friend buys a $20 game, your friend earns $5 and you earn $1.25.
    5) Comparing to affiliate programs at 40% or somthing is apples to oranges as:
    a) You earn your 25% for LIFE, not just a single purchase
    b) You have a multi-level network effect and earn money form people you don't even know. You can actually earn much more from your extended network than you do from your immediate referrals. (Yes this brings up the MLM topic which I will address in the next posting.)

An extreme example to emphasize the point is you could invite one person. That person buys a game, you get $5. That your "friend" builds their own Game Space and invites 1000 firends that all buy a game. Your friend earns $5000 (25% of $20,000) and you earn $1250 since you referred the person that reffered the 100 people. Thus for the single person you referred, who purchased a $20 game, you earned $1255 or 6175%. Thus 6175% royalty is better than a 40% one time royalty. This is of course and extreme example but exemplifies the apples to oranges comparison to a traditional affilaite program.

Also, the email address you add or get added to your account (your "friends") are your property and you can send them newsletters withour tools. ONcec they give their email address to BFG on their own, we will start marketing to them very aggressively, which benefits you as you continue to earn 25% from them regardless if they buy games you merchandise or just come throught eh front page of Big Fish Games.

As for feature set...this is a version 1.0 product and we of course have big plans for future customization and features. Version 1.0 is to prove the concept and an attempt to keep it simple and understandable.

If you have more questions...go to the FAQ section:
    https://my.bigfishgames.com/help/faqs.php

Cheers!

Paul

19. picman

Original Member

The topic of MLM

In my last posting I reference the multiple levels of the My BIg FIsh Games and the lifetime commissions. In this posting I will head of the inevitable "its a MLM or Pyramid scheme". We worked with the leading ciritcs of MLM and Pyramid structures and go their blessing for this program. The things that are wrong with these are as follows:
    1) Financial risk. With most MLMs you have buy the products yourself and carry inventories for your affilaites.
    With My Big Fish Games EVERYTHING is free and you never have to buy anything.
    2) Pyramid schemes are illegal and involve the transacting of money for imaginary or non-market priced products.
    With My Big Fish Games they are real products adn the products are the same price regarless if you are int he program or not...i.e. market based pricing.
    3) Saturation effect. Ony the top level affialites make any money.
    With My Big FIsh Games the royalties at each level decrease fast enough that your "friends" bleow you can earn farm more than you, however if they do, you will get a nice benefit as well, jsut not as big as thiers. Also the world of casual gamers is virtually infinite, estimated at over 400 million worldwide, so if our network becomes "saturated" we are bigger than Yahoo, which is highly unlikely.
    4) MLM's have a bad reputation as they often decieve people as to what they are meeting about and then push lame produts like water filters.
    With Big Fish Games, they are refering people to product they love, all have a free experience and are doing it anyway, they just get paid for it now. In a survey, 87% of customers that were with us for more than 1 year had already referred a friend to us.

Bottom line is this could be the fastest way to grow the market for casual games. Very few non-gamers see an advertisement and say "Wow, I shoudl try that game". Hoever if you best frined reccomends you to try a great new game, you are much more likely to try it out and thus become a first time casual gamer.

Cheers!

Paul

20. picman

Original Member

Final post...press articles

For more reading....
    - Associated Press - Social networking comes to casual games
    - San Francisco Chronicle – Video games are cool. Tell a friend. Earn some money!
    - Northwest Innovation – northwestinnovation.com - Big Fish Pays Users For Referrals
    - Seattle Times – physical paper and online – Business Brief: Big Fish Games, Users can run sites with free program
    - BusinessWeek – Share a Game, Win Some Cash
    - Gamezebo - News: Big Fish Games and Shockwave New Offerings
    - San Jose Mercury News – Blog – Big Fish Games Taps The MySpace Craze And Game Rewards To Come Up With An Interesting Business Model
    - Red Herring – redherring.com - Cashing in on Casual Gamers
    - Seattle Post-Intelligencer – Blog – Amway for Games?
    - Mashable – Blog - My Big Fish Games - Amway Meets MySpace for Games
    - Digg – Blog - My Big Fish Games Rewards Program Gets You Free Cash!
    - Cathode Tan – Blog – My Spacing Video Games

The Associated Press article “Social Networking Comes to Casual Games†has been picked up by the following sites and print newspapers:

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, GA
    Newsday, NY
    Biloxi Sun Herald
    SiliconValley.com
    Bradenton Herald
    ABC News
    WRAL.com, NC
    MSNBC
    Sydney Morning Herald, Australia
    San Jose Mercury News
    Pioneer Press, MN
    The Age, Australia