ANN: Kasual Kit

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NUView, Mar 13, 2006.

1. HairyTroll

Original Member

Prepare to be 'ass'imilated!

2. iopred

Indie Author

The funny thing about this thread, is that while everyone was discounting the existance of the software, talking about how it would destroy some peoples jobs etc, no one mentioned that this is what is happening already! Even today, most of the games that are released are exactly what Klone Kit would have produced, except they were programmed by hand. What would the difference have been?

A lot of truth is said in jest, and although Raptisoft pulled a prank, don't for a second think that its just fun, I feel this is more of a warning. Then again, if it sells, who cares about keeping up appearances, it's all about money anyway, bring out your Zuma clones - innovation is dead.

3. Anlino

Original Member

It is hard for me to see anybody willing to do the work(Website, text, gfx) with this, if it is a joke. Now, if it is, then it is the greatest ever. We will probably find out sooner or later.

4. suryanievi

Original Member

whoever made this jokes is a genius :D

5. Raptisoft

Indie Author

You internet "sleuths" suck. Why can't you all just sit down and get all angry about this? And people wanting to BUY it? You all make me sick, PLUS that web page was two days work and this did NOT dissolve into a satisfactory flame war. And you could've at least waited until the 1st so that we could spring the incredibly cool reveal, LAM3RZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Anyway, it was me and Svero. Total joint effort. We were having some kind of clone discussion on MSN and somehow it turned into this. But yeah, reading the thread, I have half a mind to make the frigging thing. Our actual horror/fantasy was that some portal would roar up and offer us like a $500,000 buyout on the thing, and we'd have to whip it up in about a month's time, lol.

Anyway, yeah, those who thought it was a joke, it's a joke.

Impressive net sleuthing. Thought we had everything covered. To be nailed by the metatags... sheesh.

I even accidentally posted a NUView post under Raptisoft at one point, and repaired/edited that in time. Didn't even think to check the metatags, so... good jobs.

Next time it will be 1,000 times worse, and there will be no way to sleuth it.

And mad props for that. :)

6. Anlino

Original Member

Cant wait, Raptisoft:D Man, you got us all (and me especially!). Bet you had a real ball with this, didn't you? I even posted questions through the contact form on the site!:rolleyes:

7. Ricardo C

Original Member

What about me? I suggested adding a plug-in system to make it easier to extend the template games :D

I wonder what Raptisoft's reaction would be if right before revealing the truth, Real or Yahoo came along with a seven figure offer to buy the "company" outright ;)

8. AVataRR

Original Member

aww I missed all the excitement. I was like "what what what" and two seconds later I find out its a joke. oh whell.

9. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Minus the marketing hype, what this kit proposed to do is quite feasible. As I was playing around with prototypes a month ago, I was exploring variations of several of the standard game types, with much of the code the same, just swapping in and out certain key functions.

It could be done, though the games it produces would likely be rather bland without additional code. That said, I'm not sure it's a great business idea, since at $500, the market would be small (10-40 copies, maybe?) At $99, the market would be bigger, but probably not big enough to make a noticeable profit.

10. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

First off, nice prank! :) Though I'd like to take credit for initiating the effort to unravel the hoax. :D

Fack. I thought it would probably one of you. I even abused by mod powers by looking up the IPs of yours, Svero's, and NUViews. NUView's IP address came from Amsterdam in one post and Utah in another, so I knew he was fake. But it didn't match yours or Svero's. When I did a WHO-IS lookup, even though the contact info was blocked for KasualKit.com, I still checked to see if the nameservers matched Raptisoft.com or twilightgames.com. They didn't match, so I figured it was an outside prankster. If my WHO-IS search showed the meta tags I would have gotten you sooner. :cool:

But again, good job. You covered your tracks pretty well and made the whole Kasual Kit website/product seem somewhat plausible. I probably wouldn't have caught on if the first post didn't contain a formal press release. If it was more of an informal announcement then I probably wouldn't have bothered to check other news sites for it.

Though you pretty much "Zing"-ed anyone who wrote about it in their blog. :)

11. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well the IP was one example of how we were careful. I changed the IP listed with the NUView account as a mod, but I couldnt change the posting IP's so John posted all the NUView stuff through a Proxy server.

Mad Props to Gabriel who suggested my Humour and Johns web coding. That's eerily prescient. I have to give most of the effort over to John though who actually setup the site and got a domain for it etc... All I really contributed was text for the page and some of the ideas. My stuff was a little over the top and John would edit it down to make it a little more realistic. We assumed people would be skeptical, but we wanted to make it just real enough that nobody could be 100% sure.

As to the reveal well... What we had planned was to post here as NUView on April first the following... (I dont have JR's edited text so this is the original text)

and then on The KK site...

12. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Me and John would have stalled and made it of course :)

13. Chris Evans

Well I'm a little disappointed that you guys didn't purposely leave a cryptic clue. Such as having something like Gaberial's cryptography for your Header text or something. :)

14. mooktown

Original Member

haha! I was totally fished in, I feel like a total sponge! :D

I only came back to the thread to slag people off for keeping the thread going!

15. dxgame

Original Member

"Coming May 5th, 2006" - Now THAT would be a shocker if the product DID come out still. Even BIGGER joke on us after all this. ;)

16. WaveRider

Indie Author

Too bad... I was actually saving up for it :(

17. Anlino

Original Member

I am pretty sure there could be a lot of money in something like this, even if this was just a joke. But, now we all have Savant working on it, right? :p

Schizofrenia. I say nothing more:)

18. Gilzu

ROFL...

Now thats a good one. Sure is a shame that it couldn't hold up till April 1st.

19. Nikster

Original Member

Why? it would still have just been a hoax and not an Aprils fool joke.

20. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

This is simply the coolest damn thing that's ever happened around this forum, so I'd just like to take the opportunity to congratulate you guys one more time, and express my regrets that your brilliant reveal did not pan out.