ANN: Kasual Kit

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NUView, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sparkyboy

Original Member

Hmmm interesting points of view guys. April fools joke or not, it certainly has everybody talking. I mean 119 posts and counting........:rolleyes:
    Controversy always sells guys............. you can't buy that sort of publicity, know what I mean!!;)
    Still, for what it's worth, I too think it's just a big red herring. We'll just have to wait for the 'Hah Gotcha guys, April fools' to pop up on this thread :D

All the best

Mark.

2. Pyabo

Original Member

Anyone want to have a betting pool for who the instigator turns out to be? :)

I certainly have a suspicion...

3. Savant

Original Member

If it's fake, I'll probably end up doing it for real. I think it's a goldmine if done properly.

4. Glen Pawley

Original Member

I get the feel that this is a sensitive subject, so I want to point out that I don't mean to be snarky in any way. Are you making a joke? Because that combined with your blog just doesn't make sense. :confused:

5. papillon

Indie Author

It does if he believes that *really* flooding the market with clones beyond its ability to cope will crash the market for such things and force everyone to make less clonable games. :)

Making a kit that allows you to easily clone *one* kind of game and selling it cheaply wouldn't be that hard, would probably move a good few copies, and would amuse him to no end. :)

6. Ricardo C

Original Member

Dammit, you were my lead suspect if this does turn out to be a prank ;)

7. cyodine

Original Member

Well, technically, many of us can already do what the Kit does, although only with a limited number of games - chiefly the games that we've already coded for. The question is, would portals accept the exact same game re-skinned by the same company? They apparently do that if it's done by another company. Note that when I say clone, I'm not referring to a sequel, since they're assumed to have more content, additional gameplay, etc.. Perhaps an expansion might be the correct term.

But I wonder if the same company doing this would help their sales any or would they just be competing against themselves. For individuals that want clones of the same product and would purchase the original and all clones, then that company would benefit by cloning themselves. For individuals that would only purchase one variation of that game, then although the company would be competing against themselves, they would also be diluting the leeching effect of other clones.

Furthermore, if the company name appearing on the same product would deter portals, then I'm sure workarounds could be accomplished. Have a few of your real life friends start up their own company and publish your clones and then pay you an outside-contractor fee or some such. Most people don't pay attention to the company name on casual titles anyway, assuming the portals even let them appear.

I know the cloning yourself concept might seem a little unusual, but I suppose if this Kasual Kit does come along, this industry has to adapt somehow. Either by scrapping the genres supported or some other means such as the above.

But then again, perhaps the industry doesn't need to adapt. Perhaps what will happen is that the artwork and sound will take up 95% of all successful project budgets, so the coding won't matter. Cheaply cloned games will get no where. This field will be dominated by artists and musicians instead of programmers since the programming is "canned". However, if one can someonehow find high quality "canned" art and music (I know lots of not so high quality exist), then the playing field will level again.

8. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

I just did a domain WHOIS lookup of the website and found:

Website Title: Kasual Kit - The Casual Game Development Kit!
    Meta Description: Your download place for Raptisoft games!

A domain lookup for raptisoft.com produces:

Website Title: Raptisoft Computer Games
    Meta Description: Your download place for Raptisoft games!

See links: http://www.whois.sc/kasualkit.com && http://www.whois.sc/raptisoft.com

9. jankoM

Indie Author

Chuzzle itself is done in the casual kit?! :) Well that would be good reference for it.

#129 jankoM, Mar 25, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  10. dxgame

Original Member

"I just did a domain WHOIS lookup of the website and found..."

ooh.. the cats out of the bag perhaps? :eek:

11. Sakura Games

Original Member

Is good to see an April's fool, since the discussion about clones was getting too hot lately. Cheers to Raptisoft! :D

12. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

I wonder if the meta description was an oversight by raptisoft or a purposely left clue?

13. soniCron

Indie Author

Perhaps, but that's exactly what I intend to do if Jeweltopia sells well. (Not to mention sequels for both games.)

About Raptisoft: I must say, I'm genuinely surprised! Now I don't know what to think of this... :)

14. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I want my prize!
    Really, are people this incredulous? Something obviously feels tricky.

For some reason WHOIS didn't show the meta tags for me so I had to guess. I thought it was svero or someone else with a good sense of humor. However the only site that had the same HTML coding style and even the same image swap Javascript function was Raptisoft's. And it all made sense! John has repeatedly shown a great sense of humor AND is one of the most cloned people here, so the laugh is on us, and the "vengeance" is well deserved. Congrats John, it was a brilliant joke!

15. lakibuk

Indie Author

Haha, cryptography at its best.

16. Nexic

Indie Author

Wow it really had me that's for sure! Great one :)

17. whisperstorm

Original Member

Gee - makes me kinda sad. Having tools that make creating games more accessible for less hardcore programmers would have been a good thing.

18. Sharpfish

Original Member

Well.. luckily I didn't take it seriously as a product (even if it was true or not). I didn't get stuck in and post long essays on the good and bad points(for a change).I had a feeling that if it were a joke, the originator just wanted to see the cloners (or potential cloners) coming out of the woodwork.

Now we think we know who was behind it and that it probably was a joke, it's quite funny as we all know what he would do to the next person to rip-off Chuzzle (something Uber-violent if I recall). ;)

And
    That was very clever g! Didn't read between those lines.. :)

19. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Only now am I going back and actually reading that website properly. Seeing the little jokes and digs.

Anyway, congratulations guys. That was awesome. Shame about the meta tag, but hey.

20. Sirrus

Original Member

I think everyone is jumping to a new conclusion way too quickly.

I'm not convinced either way.