ANN: Kasual Kit

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NUView, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Speaking for myself, it's not that I resent this thing for trivializing what I (we) do, but rather, that I am highly skeptical of their claims. Specifically, I doubt that this tool will be able to create anything but nearly straight up clones of Zuma and/or JewelQuest, with relatively mediocre graphics and effects.

Yes, if the player takes the really basic template code this thing spits out, and more or less rewrites it, they could likely get a more competitive game, but then, that would largely negate the value of the tool.

Moreover, the fact that they say they're 6 weeks away from release, and have games created with their tool on portals, but won't state which games they are, nor show any kind of game made with their tool (even in beta form), enhances my skepticism.

2. Fost

Indie Author

I'm not entirely sure I understand the negative attitude to this. A while back, wasn't someone working on a shoot-em-up builder type of system? And they got nothing but support.

Why is this any different?

I quite like game making apps myself, they are great fun for hobbyists - not everyone is blessed with amazing programming skills, but they can draw. That's why I thought this would rock as a consumer targetted app.

3. Mr.Blaub

Original Member

KKK! :eek:

I see what you're saying. It'll definitely come in handy for some people. Those of us who think clones are the scum of the earth just have a difference of opinion :)

4. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I doubt this will be a good tool for prototyping - it sounds like it makes games around basic templates. Prototyping is for trying out NEW ideas to see if they work.

5. Nikster

Original Member

That maybe true, as Savant said earlier, however, I think the suggested price tag currently denotes who the target audience is. A lot of people are not seeing beyond using the templates, myself included, although the fact it basically generates code rather than a standalone application, so would require compilers and knowledge of using them. The app could be usefull, but I see the inclusion of themed teamplates too much of a temptation to do bugger all apart from click.

There's a place for this type of app for sure, at work I use a similar system short of creating a clone of something, it'll just create a skeleton shell and flow, most of which can be created all via a GUI, there's even apps out there that will create frontends and the pro versions cost a bloody fortune, and by fortune I'm talking hundreds of thousands of $.

I have no doubt that this will sell many copies, thanks to the exposure the whole debate has generated :) Did I mention my font tool clones TTF fonts into bitmap form ;) heh..

I'd like to see how well it sells, as I'm sure many more generators will come out of the woodwork if it's worth it, just like people still create match 3 games.

I've not seen the shoot'em up kit mentioned above so can't comment, but I've seen the FPS creator and I feel that is targeted towards consumers.

My gut feeling is if the price tag is at $500 it won't be long before that price drops a lot, and with that you could probably guess at to whom is buying it, developer versus consumer.

I had a relative who owned SUECK for both C64 and Amiga, and he created c64 titles for self satisfaction, he released his Amiga creations as PD, but I guess with the advent of portals and the like, the posibility to generate $ is to much of a temptation, who knows, time will tell :)

6. PeterM

Original Member

7. NUView

Original Member

The Kasual Kit page has been updated.

Since there has been such a positive response on this site, and from others, we have updated the Walkthrough page to contain more information about the kinds of options Kasual Kit will offer.

You can see this new information here:
    http://www.kasualkit.com/walkthrough.htm

Not only will Kasual Kit produce high quality games, it will produce high quality games are that better, more compatible and more stable than the best games available now.

8. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Grrr... It doesn't let you clone Hamsterball :(

9. ggambett

I don't get it. Your website lists 10 types of games and 15 builtin themes. That's 150 high quality games are that better, more compatible and more stable than the best games available now. So why will you sell this for $500 instead of releasing these 150 games in the next few years and become a multibillonaire?

10. princec

Indie Author

C'mon guys, you're all being far too harsh here, it's just a bit of software to help wannabees write simple games with a bit of advertising hype. You know it isn't seriously competing. Leave 'em alone!

Cas :)

11. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

Reminds me of a story about an analyst that said he has the perfect model for stock exchange trading. He built an application that uses this model and should be able to bring mucho $$$ for those who use it.

Its just a story. AFAIK, its still is.

This story brings the same conclusion as ggambett's post. actually, two conclusions:

1. If you want to make money, why not use the golden eggs instead of selling the goose? where's the logic in that?
    2. If the story about the trader was true, for those who know a little bit about the stock exchange and marketting, if everyone used the same model to make profit, then this model would be less and less profitable.

<sarcasm>Thank god they included an MMORPG checkbox for the future generation of top-notch game developers</sarcasm>

12. Speckled Jim

Original Member

Wow, this thread is still rumbling on. Hasn't he come clean yet?

13. whisperstorm

Original Member

I'd be really curious to see a game created with this. Would the owner of this thread consider posting a sample game created with the Kit? Seems like that would be a great way to preview what it can do...

14. Pyabo

Original Member

Come on guys... this is a joke.

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"
    --Johathan Swift

I have to applaud NUView, whoever they are... on their excellent sense of humor. You had us going for a while.

15. jankoM

Indie Author

Do you think someone would buy domain just to make a joke? And why would not someone be doing this?

#115 jankoM, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  16. Chris Evans

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it seems like a big ruse. I guess April 1st isn't too far away after all...

Especially since a quick Google search shows that this was the only place the press release for NUview/Kasual Kit was posted to. Any other mentions are just blogs that eventually lead back to here. Their website doesn't contain a company address, copyright notice, and etc... This is either like the Phantom console or the joke is on us. ;)

17. Chris Evans

A domain costs about $2-5 these days. That's like a lunch time snack.

Personally I think it's possible to make a product somewhat like this, but something about this particular company & announcement seems odd. Why just submit a formal looking press release here?

For a product that's supposedly this significant, I would imagine it would be picked up by at least a few online news sites if they actually sent it to them. Heck, you can submit press releases to PRWeb for free...

The company has apparently taken the time to clone and make a custom wizard for Zuma, Jewel Quest, Bejeweled, Chuzzle, and etc but doesn't have the time (or know-how) to submit a press release beyond the Indie Gamer forums? That should set off some red flags...

18. jankoM

Indie Author

you are right about domain. Well I don't know - maybe I am one of the suckers of the month :).

I would expect a joke to be something more absurd but this actually isn't all that "outside-the-box" ;) idea. At the bottom of the line, this is not so different as making a matcha3 game and selling source code to the interested parties - which is by far the least complicated and quickest way of doing "match3 maker".

#118 jankoM, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  19. ggambett

Really, are people this incredulous? Something obviously feels tricky. I think I know who is behind this. Use the source, Luke.

I may be wrong, of course, which will be embarrasing. It's funny to play Sherlock though.

20. Chris Evans

Yep. :)

To throw a little more wood on the fire, a WHO-IS lookup shows the domain name "kasualkit.com" was registered (or renewed) on March 8th, 2006 just two days before this thread was made. In another words, 48 hours for the DNS to propograte across the net... ;)

I'm sure it's possible to have a legit explanation for this, but who seriously works on a product for months/years and registers the domain at the last minute right before a company/product announcement? I personally register domains early on even if I'm not 100% sure if I'll use them, just to be safe.