ANN: Kasual Kit

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NUView, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sparkyboy

Original Member

Nah.......they are important of course, but you can't put in a box ideas, inspiration, creativity, design, storylines etc. That comes from within.
    It's like selling.............as my dad used to say....'you either got it or you haven't'!!;)

All the best

Mark.

2. NUView

Original Member

Currently, there are two games selling that were made using the Kasual Kit beta. We aren't going to reveal the titles or developers. We'll leave it up to them if they want to let people know their game was made with Kasual Kit.

I might add that the quality of Kasual Kit generated games has been high enough that several portals have already accepted, and are selling these games.

However, there's no real point to us putting up a game demo, because with Kasual Kit, you can have your own high-quality demo up and running within five minutes.

Thank you for your interest in our product!

3. mooktown

Original Member

4. dxgame

Original Member

I don't see the portals accepting too many (if any) of these cc (casual clones) but I DO see a market for developers/websites who already have a line up of games on their site and want to "jump on the bandwagon" and get a cc on their site. You'll have to decide if affiliating with an existing match 3 game or investing in the $500.00 and selling your own cc is better. ;)

5. Ricardo C

Original Member

No demo? For a $500 product? Give me a break.

6. Anlino

Original Member

How about the screenshots? ;) Not necessarily from the games that were on portals, but from one of those five-minute games.

7. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Based on the small amount of information posted, I see Kasual Kit as something not all that hard to develop - Just build in logic for the few types of matching and sliding that are fairly standard, then have tilesets be dynamically loadable, and the wizard just sets some global variables for the project to drive the actual game mechanics and graphics used.

That said, it would by necessity be limited to pretty straightforward implementations of the 'standard' match-3 game mechanics. Which aren't fresh enough to excite many gamers anymore (i.e. there has to be SOME novelty).

8. Speckled Jim

Original Member

Of course there's a point. People naturally want to see what it produces. It doesn't matter how easy it may be to spit out these clones, very few people would pony up $500 just in order to find it's not for them.

9. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

I'm liking Cliffski's biz strategy more and more every day... ;)

Tom

10. Nexic

Indie Author

My thoughts exactly. Getting away from this crap is a very good idea...

11. Sakura Games

Original Member

You mean getting away from this clones crap? well sure... I bet half of people here would like to do different games, then they just have to live with those earnings. Cliffsky is doing well, but how many others?

12. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

We've done well since about 1991. But it varies from year to year. Some years I make a lot of money, some years I just get by.

Tom

13. Nexic

Indie Author

Not many, and I understand the whole 'I need the money' argument first hand. But that doesn't change the fact that living and dying by match-3 games will ultimately be the end of many indies. Eventually there will be too much competition for the likes of me and other one man bands to get onto any portal, and we will have to make do selling to our own audience. When that happens I want to have an audience of my own ready, and the only way to attract such an audience is to make something different.

14. Bmc

Bmc New Member

don't make a match 3 then. many other genres can, and have, done well on the portals.

there are reasons why match 3 games are popular, anyone with knowledge of game design should be able to dissect why and apply it to their game

the basic jist -
    1) very few nouns/tokens/entities (whatever term you prefer) for the player to keep track off.
    2) a minimal number of verbs/actions that the player is required to learn.
    3) rules that most new players can easily understand (if not fully, at least enough to start playing)

15. NUView

Original Member

I am sorry about the misunderstanding.

A trial game will not be provided, but a trial version of Kasual Kit will be provided.

However, in order to sell games made with Kasual Kit, you will need to make the initial investment. Although the price may seem high, we estimate that even an unmodified wizard-created game will return well over 1000% over the course of a year.

16. soniCron

Indie Author

*flabbergasted* And how many unmodified wizard-created games do you think the market will support? *laughs* If it was so lucrative, you wouldn't be selling this technology... :D

17. chanon

Indie Author

$15 * 3 copies per month * 12 months = $540
    possible... !!??

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"nothing will stop you from making your game unique! Open the Kasual Kit generated code in any C++ IDE and extend, extend, extend! Think the score display should be a little to the left? Want your game pieces to shake before they break? Want balls to pop out of line when you shoot them? When you extend the Kasual Kit code, you can do all this and more!"[/FONT]

It's like buying the source code of multiple clones. $500 could get you the gameplay source code for Luxor, Zuma, Bejewelled, Jewel Quest, Chuzzle ... and more if the license includes free updates.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens when this comes out.

#57 chanon, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  18. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm all for it. Maybe the market will be flooded with cheap clones and there will be a crisis and that will be the end of the match-3 gold rush.
    Also it's funny to see all the match-3 devellopers, all up-in-arms and outraged because someone made a kit to create match-3s. I imagine there must be a line that must not be crossed ;)

19. jankoM

Indie Author

My oppinion (I am waiting for something so I have time to philosophise). Code generators are being used (for years and) more and more at Web and DB apps for example. This is the next step of code production on tasks that are easy to generalize.

Feeling for some "hand-coder" is not so good - I know. The same happened to me at php when I look at Ruby on Rails video. And same thing happened to some Win32 DB programmer when MSAccess came out. If you think benefits are really big, the only smart thing is to use it. I still use php however and MSAccess only for small thingies, everything big is python/mysql because I think the owerall result/controll is still better with that.

Match 3 games are very generalized task, because as we all know there are tens of thems and are all more or less the same and they do sell (so "worth" making) - so code generaton for this should be no suprise.

Of course - if you know you can now make a game like everybody else with this tool in few steps, you should also know everybody else can now make games like you in few steps.

There can be another effect... In my ex. country there were times when people hadn't had enougth money.. so "el presidente" just printed it some more - what happened? The money became worth less and less. So in general, the easyer the path to some resource is - less it's worth in general consumption. This is not "bad" - this is the way things go. A car for example was much more expensive thing when it was man-made than now.

The only thing I personally really don't like - someone works hard and finds out a original new casual gameplay. It is succsesfull and Kit "researchers" come and add it to the Kit. That originality of the gameplay becomes allmost worthless for the author of it. So there is now even much less reason to came up with something original.

But things are allowed if they are not forbidden explicitly - so there is not much you can do except nag or "donate to lawyers". Except something like ................... errmm software patents (done right and only for a year....maybe) might help you in this case.

Uh, the gsm is ringing ... off I go!

#59 jankoM, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  20. lakibuk

Indie Author

Do you people think that this tool can produce games with the quality of Zuma, Chuzzle and the like? I really doubt that.