ANN: Kasual Kit

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NUView, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DanMarshall

Original Member

Why be the Monkey when you can be the Organ Grinder?

for this, and other crap analogies, visit my blog*

Dan

*no actual crap analogies on my blog

2. Ricardo C

Original Member

I'm guessing the games generated are very bare-bone clones, so to create a game with real sales potential will require the end user to get his hands dirty with the generated code, yes? Any chance for a plug-in system to quickly add customization without having to rewrite the code?

3. electronicStar

Original Member

That will not change anything.
    I have marathon-tested two dozen match-3 game demos in the last couple of days, just for the kick of it, and frankly most of them already look like they were done with a kasual-kit (tm).

4. Nikster

Original Member

Looking at the "from this to this screen shot", I'm sure I've seen identical products already doing the rounds on portals, and I'm not talking plain clones, but those actual prods heh.

Savant, you're gonna have to hire poop loads of people to maintain your blog ;)

5. tentons

Indie Author

Oh my god, it really is a Klone Kit. :eek:
    Wow.

6. GhostRik

Original Member

Interesting...

The bottom of the FAQ says that you have to have a C++ compiler. Most game-makers are self-compiling. If you have a compiler then you probably don't want a game-maker. Or am I wrong?

7. Curiosoft

Indie Author

For those of you wondering what's going to happen with this clone fest....who knows.

But consider this...
    look into what happened with Screensavers in the late 90s. There were folks making a lot of money off screensavers. People started cloning...then folks created their own screensaver makers....

Who knows if the same thing will happen.

Also, the makers of the kit should also consider approaching companies with licensed properties. They don't really care about game quality or innovation. If the produced game is some-what fun and leverages the license...they are happy.

Later,
    Curiosoft

8. Bmc

Bmc New Member

game design takes a little more work than coming up with a screensaver

9. Anlino

Original Member

I really don't know what to say about this. Part of me says that this could be a great tool, and the other part tells me that it will help the market to be flooded with clones. I think you guys should offer some more information. After all, this is your target market (and i am definatley interested:) )

10. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Sounds pretty similar to Game Maker and yet to see a decent game with chance of selling well produced from it.

11. WaveRider

Indie Author

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-- Jeff Goldblum as "Dr. Ian Malcolm"
    -- Jurassic Park

12. mooktown

Original Member

this is just ethically wrong. and to say they have a research team to monitor the top selling games so they can be cloned too. thats not research... thats plagiarism. why would a creative type release a new idea in the knowledge that it will be tacked onto this list?

plagiarism

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work
    2: the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own

Or how about... creativity? :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see the quality of the clones from a clone of this product ;)

13. bondarchukv

Original Member

New opportunity for clonerz :)

14. Sharpfish

Original Member

my (re)quote of the week. :)

15. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

I had a dream last night. There was a computerised voice talking to me, it said:

j/k...

I really have no problem with game generators whatsoever. I do have a problem with taking shourtcuts that seem to be optimal for you but really aren't (thought about how someone who hardly know how to code, let alone know the code that was created, handle support requests when they'll come?). And even if it was optimal, I'd like to do those steps myself.

Good luck for those who use this package. I rather have my own hands on the wheel.

16. Raptisoft

Indie Author

I didn't see a tarantulas with laser beams checkbox, is there going to be one?

17. Speckled Jim

Original Member

Painting by numbers retooled. Eurgh.

18. Anlino

Original Member

In the FAQ, it says that it will run on "Any windows system". No Mac or Linux Support?

19. Sakura Games

Original Member

I'm really surprised nobody thought about it before, expecially the portals. To keep traffic up they need a new game every day, so a cloning engine would be very good. That way they could just hire artist and release clones at max speed.
    It's becoming more clear that artists are the most important part in a team for casual games nowadays... :p

20. Anlino

Original Member

Since you will release the thing the fifth of may, i would presume the development have been undergoing for some time now. Perhaps, if there is any, you could offer a playable demo of something that has been produced with it, code untouched after the wizard. That could give us a good idea of the quality of the games created with it. At least give us some more images :eek: