ANN: Indie Game Info site

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Savant, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Savant

Original Member

Yay!

I'm not building the site. If it comes to that, I'm taking it down. It's up there for you guys. If you want to take advantage of it, go for it. There's nothing in this for me except hosting bills.

#41 Savant, Feb 18, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  2. jankoM

Indie Author

Strange way of thinking. It is still your project not ours, we are just the customers, we might use what you offer if we like it. I made portal for kids (in slovenia) which has been running for 4 years (all is free) and earned nothing and I am gratefull for anyone who uses my services. It's my project which is worth nothing without the users - so I need them and they don't really need me. And it has been tons of work (3700 pages of kids, forum, online drawing, jokes, magazine, kids wiki....) programing and setting up everything and just answering all the emails each day. ..... Uh , talking about myself again... sorry

3. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I was shrugging because it seems your expectations are a little unrealistic. It takes more than just installing some open source software on your server to attract people to contribute to your site.

I really like the idea behind it but you're starting to sound like the kid who has a "killer MMORPG" but just need programmers and artist to make the game. It doesn't seem like you know what you got yourself into and didn't do adequate research when you started this project. There's tons of dead Wikis that never went anywhere. The Indie Wiki ( http://www.indiewiki.org/ ) has been on life support since its inception.

My point is if you do want this site to be a success, then you're going to have to do more than hosting (almost everyone here is capable of hosting a wiki). Otherwise you should shut it down or give it to someone who's willing to put in the necessary work.

4. Savant

Original Member

No, because I'm not building anything. Nothing. My entry is already up. I'm done. It's waiting on content from other people.

In the time it's taken you to write those two posts you could have put your game up, so don't talk to me about it taking too much time. It boils down to priorities and if nobody else but me and Fost and the few other people who have put stuff up feel that it's a priority, then it isn't worth it.

I don't want that to be the case but now with all of this negative crap in this thread it's pretty much assured of not going anywhere. *sigh*

Oh well, I tried.

5. Shaz

I actually think this is a great idea and would love to contribute, but as an Indie wannabe I think it'll be a couple of years before I have anything remotely suitable for release. However I DO want to improve my skills in internet & wiki and have some time on my hands, so if any of you daring souls are game to be my guinea pigs, I'm happy to add info for YOUR games! PM me details and link and I'll see what I can do.

How hard can it be? (don't answer that....)

6. Chris Evans

Well I was actually planning to add my games, but I wanted to do a page similar to Fosts. However I have very little experience with Wikis' and it would take some time and effort to add the various character art and etc. from my games. I was still planning to do it at some point, so that's why I was surprised to hear you contemplating shutting down the site after only a week. Now I'm somewhat glad I didn't spend time creating elaborate game pages since you're not all that committed to the site.

As for posting on this forum, it's a fairly passive activity. I don't have to learn new syntax, create copy, or crop images to make a post. That's an apples to oranges comparison.

I guess that's the problem I have. It doesn't seem like you really tried. But I'll drop it since I agree it's becoming counter-productive and I've already made my point. In the interest of not seeing this project die, I suggest that maybe you should ask for a small of group of volunteers [EDIT: Like Shazbot above] who could add 3-4 game pages a month. Within a couple of months you might have close to a 100 high quality game pages and it will be easier to attract more developers. Also sites like GameDev or Gamasutra might pick it up and give it even more exposure.

7. simonh

Indie Author

Negative crap? LOL, coming from Mr. Blunt himself :D

Did you honestly expect this site to succeed without any effort from yourself? If so, you are probably as delusional as you accuse others of being.

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

Maybe, the wiki is "for everyone" but regardless, the hosting and the direction IS controlled by you (Savant). While on the surface it all seems like a positive thing, given your track record for u-turns and negative/attacking stances against your peer's hard work, I imagine quite a few folk are wary of adding stuff in case it doesn't fit in with your ideals and ends up on your useful, constructive and informative blog.

Alienating people tends to come back and haunt you so maybe that also has something to do with it. I have strong opinions on everything, I admit, and don't have a lot to back them up usually, but I always try to respect others work and not make a hobby out of criticizing others (I don't know how you find the time as a game developer - I certainly am too busy making my own games to get angry about others that I may or may not think are shit).

That is a far too negative a way to get attention and could put people off from contributing to any of your projects regardless of who it's intended to help. I'm sure you don't care what I think and will keep on doing whatever you want to do regardless of anyone's opinion, but there it is.

If it got off the ground it's a good idea and far more constructive than your other "project" but you may have your work cut out seperating the two. You surely need to give it more than a week or so before talking about taking it down though, anyone who was thinking about putting stuff up may now be completely put off because of that doubt.

That is why it IS up to you and only you to get things rolling and to assure people you are commited to it and not thinking of pulling the rug from under it. Others can jump in and put in the ground work to kickstart it - but then can't stop you from deleting it on a whim!

9. Savant

Original Member

A wiki, by definition, is a community effort. My game is up. Why isn't yours?

If people were using it, it wouldn't go away. As it is, it's an embarassment. 8 days without a single shred of activity from the very developers it's meant to be helping?

And as for my "other project", that project is primarily meant to highlight indies who are doing great games. It's a very positive thing. However, everyone focuses on the blog. Just like this project. Nobody focuses on how much of a great resource it would be or how helpful it would become - they focus on how much work it would take to add their games and how I'm not hand holding them through the entire process and providing them with a "fill in the blank" submission form.

Frustrating.

10. DanMarshall

Original Member

I've decided to bump this as, despite all the gumph above, it's still a great idea.

I've added my game, Gibbage, and am feeling very proud of seeing a description up on the Internet (especially as I haven't got a website up and running again)

Sweet idea. C'mon guys, add your games. Oh, go on....

d

11. Savant

Original Member

Thanks Dan! :)

12. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

To get the site where it needs to be, it is going to take a lot of effort. I think though, we're not all ready to work on it this moment. Subtley bumping this topic or similarly promoting it every couple weeks should help it grow. It might not grow fast, but by this time next year it might turn in to something.

13. cliffski

I started adding Democracy, but the site has a few speed issues for me. maybe that's just a problem at my end though. I think it could be a great site. Like all things, it needs momentum.

14. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

I've just added Outer-Rim Pod Digger to the wiki.

I am not the author of the game and I hope my creating the page will not offend the author.

15. Savant

Original Member

I can't imagine it would unless you've said something wrong or derogatory. :)

16. DanMarshall

Original Member

As suggested, I'm going to bump this up lest it get lost on page three.

Besides, now Sonicron can add Jeweltopia, no?!

;)

17. soniCron

Indie Author

*perks up* I didn't think of that! Oh, can I? Savant, can I? Or have I got to wait? *waits in eager anticipation* :D

18. Savant

Original Member

Heh, it's for you guys. If you feel you want the game on there, go for it!

19. soniCron

Indie Author

Oh, thank you! *gives Savant a great big hug* *steps back* *looks at floor* *slowly turns* *runs away in shame*

20. arcadetown

Tip: Patience is definitely a virtue. At the beginning we spent a lot of time seeding HeavyGames and slowly but surely outside submissions have picked up to where it now virtually overwhelms us.