[ANN] Immortal Defense goes permanently pay what you want (sales stats included too)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RinkuHero, Aug 17, 2010.

1. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

i'm embarrassed by writing promotional things about my own games so here's a couple relevant links

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/08/02/pay-what-you-want-immortal-defense

http://www.destructoid.com/games-you-should-buy-immortal-defense-it-s-only-1-75--180366.phtml

and since this forum likes numbers, here -- y axis is number of dollars, x axis is day:

[​IMG]

the first jump was all the initial announcements, the second peak was a mention in rock paper shotgun block

first 17 days of sales total 259 sales and a little over $1400 (before fastspring fees of ~9% with a minimum of 75 cents)

for most of this year before then the game sold at $10 a copy and sold about 20 copies a month for an average of $200 a month, so at least initially sales improved by going pay what you want (with a minimum of $1.75). the average price people are choosing to buy the game for is around $4.

the idea of a $1.75 minimum (as well as the code i used to set it up) were from jason rohrer; i have previously had a pay what you want sale over xmas (rather than a permanent sales model) with no minimum, and almost everyone kept buying it at 1 cent (which actually costs me money due to bandwidth and paypal fees taking the one cent), so i figured i'd try a minimum this time.

i will report again whether this model earns as much or more as having a set price did. my suspicion is that it will, but it's an experiment, done on a game first released in 2007, so we'll see. however, if it does work, i'm considering making all my future games pay what you want as well, at least after a short initial period at a fixed price.

here's a sales by country chart too (the lowest few countries are cut off due to formatting issues but they're all just $1.75 each anyway):

http://pics.livejournal.com/rinku/pic/0018hagk

anyway in summary, if this works i hope it'll encourage other indie developers to try pay what you want model for their games -- either as short-term sales or as permanent models

#1 RinkuHero, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

It probably works as long as websites are talking about it (and nobody else is doing it lol) but it will be interesting to know the numbers in the long run.
    Good job and idea so far!

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Any reason why you aren't working with TrialPay? It gets the "I want it for free" crowd while still getting you paid. I'm not getting rich with them (because, frankly, I'm not getting rich) but they have been good partners, the system does work and they do pay their bills. Recommended.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

my 2 cents:
    1) in the long run you'll see a drop of revenues I think, but hope I'm wrong of course!
    2) it works well with certain genres like arcade/shooter because there's too much competition. For niche games using that model would be suicide

5. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

3) websites are talking about it a lot cuz they like you and the method is relatively new ;)

That said, you found a great way to have peaks in your incomes and get loads of new players who may now potentially invest in your next games, good flair on that one. It's a bit like having a freeware game to attract people except you get money as well. As Jack said, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run.