ANN: Fairies

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Escapee

Original Member

The Prodigious fairies is coming soon , Plz be patient !! ;) :D

#101 Escapee, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Phil,

I posted an URL to a tracking document somewhere in the thread, but speaking only for myself, a minimum of 40 hours a week with peaks at up to 60.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

3. Sharpfish

Original Member

One thing I admire about Emmanuel is his uncanny ability to completely ignore negativity and not bite. That is NOT to say I can not see where both sides are coming from, and to others his lack of response on the issues may be be seen as being aloof.

Besides 40-60 hours of work per week is what brings results ultimately regardless of originality, as much as I am firmly entrenched in the "try new things" camp along with AF, JR and the others who have issues with these things. (trust me guys, it is not because I can not SEE what you mean, or even feel similar myself - it is because I can't see what good it can cause by posting them in specific game threads - surely everyone is allowed a shot at a press release/feedback thread without others resorting to belittlement?).

#103 Sharpfish, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  4. techbear

Original Member

I would have liked to play and comment, but I'm tripped up by a graphics bug.

These two screenshots show the problem:
    http://www.exegame.com/badFairies.png
    http://www.exegame.com/badFairies2.png

I have an NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200. I've seen this behavior on other games, and even in my own code. I don't understand the problem COMPLETELY, but I believe it can be fixed by appending null verts to your display lists.

In other words, add one extra primitive to your draw lists, and zero out all of its values.

5. revve

Original Member

Sigh.... just had the most unproductive weekend ever. Only got around 5 hours coding in. Why? Fairies!!! I can't help myself. :) I constantly try to justify just playing games the whole weekend.... Excuses, excuses. My favourite is "doing research". These match-3 clones seems to be popular at the moment..... Hmmmm..... Gives me an idea.... No! Gotta resist. Must...create...unique...game!

PS. Love the theme music. I also noticed a problem. Whenever I ALT-TAB back to the game, it crashes. Noticed it the first time when I was typing in my serial number, then also on various occasions while I switched to another app to do something productive.

6. Repton

Indie Author

Fairies

FYI - Fairies is also fun to play on a 42" plasma - looks great :)

7. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Did you route it out to your TV? Then how do you use the mouse - sit at your desk and look at the TV? Or do you just use a TV as your primary PC monitor?

8. Repton

Indie Author

Standard digital output from the pc with a wireless keyboard and mouse from a couple of metres away. It would too hard to sit right in front of it. Its not used as a TV, only as an occasional desktop display.

9. Emmanuel

Fairies is now also out at our friends at Reflexive Arcade.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

10. Fabio

Original Member

Wow, that's a recurring night (wet) dream I have.. to have 1000 clones of myself and finish in 1 year the hw/sw stuff that otherwise will take 1000 years for me to finish. ;)

11. Drake

Indie Author

Wow, Fairies now even has its own line of clothing and accessories at Hot Topic!

Amazing, Emmanuel!

;)

12. Escapee

Original Member

Emmanuel, Would you consider selling the music of fairies ? I think the music is really good ..

P/s : I'm so pathetic to "fall in luv" with this kind of fairies music .....dammn

#112 Escapee, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  13. Sharpfish

Original Member

So.. a few weeks on... dust has settled.. is this doing as well as Atlantis now? still?

Just wondering if the "puzz-loopers" have more legs than the "Sliding Row" type games.

14. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just hedge your bets man! make a puzz looper where you slide the balls,

- S

15. Sharpfish

Original Member

;)

Nah I won't be making either any time soon.. far too much competition and it doesn't translate well to my current engine/tech. I just don't see Faries everywhere were I used to see Atlantis and was wondering if the gameplay in sliding rows was as I suspect - not as "fun" as zuma / puzz loop style gameplay.

Hardly a scientific approach I'll grant ye :)

16. Emmanuel

Sharpfish,

In terms of direct sales: when doing release month to release month comparisons (Atlantis vs. Fairies), Fairies outsold Atlantis by 2X. Looking only at daily sales, Fairies outsells Atlantis by 3X currently, and November has been our highest sales month ever, since the 12th of the month or so.

In terms of portals: as with Atlantis, BigFish released it as an exclusive for a couple of weeks. It's doing really, really well. Now BFG have started placing it on other portals. Reflexive have picked it up. I don't have dates for other portals (for Atlantis it took two months for RealArcade for instance), but I'm not going to shamelessly self-promote by posting every new release on this thread this time) .

Escapee, you can now actually buy the soundtrack here. It features 7 tracks mixed into a bit over 20 minutes of studio-quality music at a higher bitrate than the game, extended versions of game tracks including the title song, and two new exclusive songs from Julianne Regan of 'All about Eve': a cover of the "Relaxed mode" music, and a new version of her song "What are the chances" from her album "Subtitles" as Jules and Jim. I'll announce the soundtrack later this week, this is a marketing experiment in many ways.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

17. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Hi Emmanuel,

just wanted to echo what other people have said - the production values are outstanding. And your artist does a really good job. It's nice to see that - in general - indie games are becoming more adventurous in their production, including starting to use vocals in music.

Funny thing: the sfx you use when the 10x symbol appears sounds almost exactly like an airport or trainstation announcement jingle (I've been trying to figure out which airport or station, I think it's the Luxembourg main terminal). So each time the 10x symbol appears my head automatically says "This is a security announcement. Do not leave bags unattended." :D :D :D

Cheers, and good luck with this one. You guys are on a roll when it comes to successful portal titles, it seems.

Patrick

18. Emmanuel

Sharpfish,

Additionally, the game just came out on Yahoo Games today and shot up to #6, so there you go :)

Midnight Synergy, thanks a lot for the comments. We try to use whatever edge we have (in this case our artist, and access to a great singer and musician). Our music/SFX guy is from Belgium, maybe he did go record that in Luxemburg.. funny.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

19. Sharpfish

Original Member

Ahh, my theorising about different gamestyles did provoke a response as I had hoped! ;)

thanks for the update/info Emmanuel. I do recall you saying it was doing better than Atlantis at first - just wanted to see if it still was (i.e it wasn't just a short sales spike based on your new-found popularity from Atlantis).

Well done.