ANN: Fairies

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Dear colleagues,

We're happy to announce our new title, Fairies, a color matching game set in a world of magic. Get it here:

fairies pc fairies mac

Fairies takes you to a world where legends are true and magic is real. As the most powerful wizard ever known, you are the only hope for a once peaceful land where fairies have been captured by an unknown evil. Complete 100 mesmerizing levels, break the magical spell that traps the fairies inside pictures, and restore justice to this world in need. You will be a hero, and be granted the ultimate power. Use it wisely!

Screenshots:
    fairies 1 fairies 2
    fairies 3 fairies 4
    fairies 5 fairies 6

Fairies was produced by the same team at Atlantis.

As usual, feedback and comments are much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

2. jankoM

Indie Author

I know we are all thinking that, so I'll just say it... "Emmanuel, please stop... you are making us all look bad (or at least prehistorically slow), at least go to a vacation or something". :)

3. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Looks really very nice!.

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

Didn't I say it.. In another thread (about Atlantis) that at this pace we can expect the next funpause game anytime NOW. ha! You crazy work-a-holics, can't fool us.... and I thought I was a work-a-holic (looks at own 16 weeks so far project with 6 weeks left and thinks "maybe I need a team").

Game looks nice, of course I will be playing it this afternoon to check out the purple fairies.

btw do they get nekkid at any point? ;)

5. papillon

Indie Author

Hate color matching... but.... shiny fairies.....

must download fairies....

Darn it, no fair hitting girly weak spots! :)

6. soniCron

Indie Author

Jeeze, you just don't stop, do you?! :) Amazing...at this rate, you'll be a multi-millionaire by New Years! Congrats, and good luck! ;)

7. papillon

Indie Author

Quick comments - Are the time limits in adventure level set really low, or is it fake tension to make me THINK I'm just barely making it? It was pretty unexpected to hear what sounded like 'YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!!!!' warnings on the very first level, when I seemed to be making matches left and right.

Also, game is behaving really weirdly when I tried to alt-tab out of it to write this. The chooser wouldn't come up, the game graphics would slam back into place even though when I moved a mouse vague mouseover text would indicate I should be seeing something else....

(WinXP)

Edit - Yes, the adventure timer counts down awfully fast. Generally this isn't bad since I can just jump right back in where I left off, but you might want to make the time on the *very first* level more generous. The memory mode, on the other hand, started off so easy and seemed inclined to ramp up in difficulty SO slowly that I couldn't be bothered to play it. This could be just me though.

Mostly my comment is - where's my affiliate pack so I can sell shiny sparkly fairies to my visitors? OMG FAIRIES! :) (Sorry. Inner child squealing.) Totally dig the art and the music and the sparkly bits, even if the color-matching games are probably melting my brain.

#7 papillon, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Bah he is so quick only because he's using PTK instead of ultra complex polymorphic-geodesic languages ++ with atomic physics combined with water close dynamics...
    In real is quite a crap programmer, believe me! :D

9. lakibuk

Indie Author

Good work. Unoriginal and fun.
    I like that the levels are challenging. Even died on level 2 on my first attempt.
    I am intrigued with one thing: I found Chuzzle's sliding row gameplay to be a quite innovative twist on the match-3 genre. So did Raptisoft invent it or is Chuzzle a clone of another game?

10. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Presentation is a lot better than atlantis. This will no doubt do well.

11. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Welll.... Overall it's very nice. I like theme you selected. The fairy in a bottle thing is unique and appealing. I have a few problems with it...

1) I don't care for the music.. not magical.. doesn't fit the theme.. Too techno
    2) Doesn't work well with my video card. A lot of the alpha stuff shows black masking or black outlines... so much of it looks ugly. I think the game is fantastic looking when it displays as intended, but there's definitely some kind of video bug affecting my display.
    3) Quite hard.. not sure.. but it might be a bit too hard in the early levels for the audience you're targeting. I think I'd ramp up the difficulty a little slower.
    4) I'm not sure there's much you can do about this.. but the fairies are not as easy to match as solid colored jewels or coins would be because they're complex images. Maybe the bottles could be tinted slightly or something.

Generally speaking though it looks good and the speed you seem to have put it together in is pretty impressive. A good tip of the hat to PTK as well I suppose.

12. Sharpfish

Original Member

AFAIK I am certain that gameplay style has been around before because I remember playing it on a few shareware demos from last year - chuzzle imo was the best implementation of it though. I am not 100% on this so don't quote me, but I am pretty certain sliding rows has been done on far uglier games in the past.. just can't remember the names because now-a-days I check out so many demos.

13. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think barnyard invasion has the same gameplay and was released before chuzzle. But I suspect there were games before BI as well...

14. Anlino

Original Member

Agrees with JankoM at one point, disagrees on another: Yes, you make us look bad by releasing games that is looking so fastastical. (Really nice idea going with a fairy theme as well, even if it might push some away from it. A fourtyfive years old male: "Yes, a new Match 3! Uhmm, is that fairies? Christ..." I am sure that most people won't react like that, i sure as hell don't. I just think that the graphics are great.) On the other hand, don't go on a vacation! Setting new standards for Indie games is nothing but good. I will downlaod this as soon as i'll get home!

15. papillon

Indie Author

I liked the music personally, although if there aren't different tracks for different zones I expect it would get annoying after a while.

(Slightly OT but on the subject of girly stereotypes - I find it amusing that out of all the options my avatar maker can produce, the one that keeps floating to the top as most commonly chosen is - Pink background, white skin, blond hair, big blue eyes, white-and-pink dress, magic wand, crown. Secretly, we all want to be Magical Fairy Princesses.)

16. Sharpfish

Original Member

Fairies 1.0a terminated due to an internal error.
    Please contact support with this information.

Exception: 0xc0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
    Parameters: 0x00000001 0x00cb0400
    Language: english
    Renderer: DirectX

Stack trace:
    00: D3DIM700.DLL at 0x73956201
    01: D3DIM700.DLL at 0x73957450
    02: D3DIM700.DLL at 0x73958ee0
    03: Fairies.exe at 0x0045b1a6

hmm i got this after the game loaded and I clicked on "OPTIONS" - the game minimized then exited. May be of some use to you.

WINXPSP2
    DX9.0c
    512mb ram
    GF4ti4200 (128mb)

note it worked ok on the second run.

17. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I just checked out the game. I must say even though the last two games from Funpause have been direct clones, the production values have increased dramatically. And it's only been 9-10 months since your first release! Very impressive!

As for Fairies, I dig the music and sound effects. All the superfluous particle effects are great as well. Overall seems to be a highly polished game.

With that said, now that you're financially secure by leaps and bounds (I imagine this game will also do well), I hope that Funpause goes back to doing a little more unique titles. I'd love to see your new level of production value and polish in an original game! :)

18. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Ok, that's the fourth game you release since my game came out. Can you stop doing it please?! :D

I've tried the game and I'm amazed with how you come with high quality games that fast. I thought Atlantis was polished, but compared to Fairies, it even looks bad!

Seriously, you have to give me your artists' contact info :) Does he/she exclusively work for FunPause?

19. NuriumGames

Original Member

Oh, I'm just amazed at your speed :eek: . Have to work now, thanks for the motivation :) .

20. Fabio

Original Member

Excellent graphics (for a change). ;)