ANN: DiVision Studios releases XAvenger

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by George Younes, Nov 20, 2006.

1. George Younes

Original Member

Download free trial version

View screenshots: 1 2 3

DiVision Studios is proud to present this exciting new plane shooter game that features tons of destructive weapons, 360 degree of navigation freedom, and excellent graphics created using motion picture 3D CG Packages.

Description:
    Orion invaders have reached our peaceful planet! It is your mission to counter attack them and follow them to their layers in Dimension-X. To complete your mission earth leaders gave you the cutting-edge hi-tech spacecraft X-Avenger. Blast your enemies with tons of missiles and energy-based weapons. The peace of all humanity rests between your hands!

2. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Screenshots 2 and 3 don't work for me :(

3. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Er, you are aware that the menu music in it is from Call Of Duty 2*, aren't you? Only it's reeeeally recognisable. Sounds like a different arrangement, but the actual composition is nigh-on identical.

*or some other WW2 shooter I've played loads of.

#3 GrahamGoring, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  4. George Younes

Original Member

Well True GrahmGoring we've done the whole thing from scratch but based on that music (same instruments and very close base..) do you think that will make any problems?

5. George Younes

Original Member

Yeap Sorry for that, just fixed it :eek:

6. whisperstorm

Original Member

I like the graphics and gameplay however I really really really hate the gravity thing. If you had a version with the gravity off the fun factor would go up alot in my opinion.

7. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Screenshots reminded me of a Metal slug meets R-Type game.

Looks good i will play later.

Darren.

8. George Younes

Original Member

Hmm, do you think it is hard with the gravity thing? coz this is not the first time that I hear this comment "really hate the gravity thing". I am very flexible with that, after all if the customers will find it hard and will not buy it because of that, then there is no point in having it, so I would really like your opinion guys about it. (taking into account that most of the players are not hardcore gamers, ie they might find that to be very difficult).

Thx, hope you enjoy it :D

9. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

I'd probably like this game if it weren't for the gravity. The only time the gravity really comes into play is after you grab the cap for the well. The rest of the time, it just makes it hard to fly around and shoot things. Since no damage is done when your ship hits the surface, why have gravity? I'd rather have no gravity. You could have slight damage done to the ship when it hits the surface.

10. whisperstorm

Original Member

Well, is it a platformer or a shooter? If its a shooter then it might be better to have no gravity but damage when you hit the walls. If it's a platformer, then my ship should have bouncy landing gear and jump buttons...

Having to constantly compensate for gravity with the right click is annoying. I could see gravity having some role in the game say if there was a black hole or something somewhere on a level, but having to constantly fight that pull detracts (in my opinion) from the fun of blowing up stuff.

11. George Younes

Original Member

Great replies Guys, I really appreciate them. I guess when I think of it this way I find the gravity annoying too. the thing is that we implemented it from the beginning and got used to it so never though of removing it. but since so many had a problem with it, I tried it without gravity, and amazingly it seems more fun :D. more concentrated on the fun of shooting...
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, and keep them coming ....

PS: I will soon give you a link for the version that does not have gravity

12. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Maybe with Activision, the publisher of Call Of Duty 2 who probably has a large legal department and doesn't like their compositions getting ripped off wholesale. Other than them, no... :rolleyes:

13. George Younes

Original Member

Hmmm, but what are the laws on that? I always see people especially in the music industry "borrowing" things from each others, so when is that called rip off, what are the limits... it is kinda blurry

14. GrahamGoring

Original Member

The music is an original composition which was paid for by Activision. If you decided to use a cover of a pop track in your commercial* game it would be every bit as illegal, I would imagine.

*that is the sticking point, I suspect - with freeware I doubt they'd mind too much.

PS. There's "borrowing" a sample, and there's recording a nigh-on identical arrangement of a complete peice of music. I don't think the two are the same thing.

15. dxgame

Original Member

"I always see people especially in the music industry "borrowing" things from each others, so when is that called rip off, what are the limits..."

It's only a problem when/until you get sued. ;) Change the music now while you can.

16. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Yes, that would be my advice. You probably won't get reported by anyone in this den of thieves- sorry, innovators. ;) But out in the real world somebody is bound to point it out.

17. lakibuk

Indie Author

"Talent borrows, Genius steals" (Oscar Wilde)

18. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Wasn't he arrested and put in prison? :)

19. George Younes

Original Member

Too bad :( I liked that piece of music. I guess I would have to change it while I can....

20. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Genius doesn't get caught stealing though. Genius steals, makes it totally unrecognisable and twice as good, and then denies that it was ever anything but a completely spontaneous inspiration (in the current political climate, you have to don't you?).

If someone listens to your piece of music and immediately says, "hey, you completely ripped off this other piece of music which is very obvious and I can so totally tell", and you say, "um... well.. yes..." then you're neither a borrower nor a genius. Yup, better change it.