ANN: Discover the lost city of Atlantis

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Dear colleagues,

I'm happy to announce our new title, Atlantis, that takes you on a trip to the 19th century. As the head of an international team of skilled explorers on a classified mission, you unlock the secrets of the long-lost city in 81 challenging levels of pure fun. If you succeed, fame, fortune, and world-changing technology from Atlantis will be yours!

Enjoy hours of thrills in this classic ball-matching game with innovative gameplay. Match your way through levels, and collect credits to buy bonuses to activate at the right moment!

Screenshots:
    Atlantis 1 Atlantis 2 Atlantis 3
    Atlantis 4 Atlantis 5 Atlantis 6

Free demo:
    Windows - Mac

This is our first title using ptk. For those who follow ;), this isn't the game that we are working on together with Phelios - that one is still in production.

As usual, I would be grateful for any kind of feedback on what doesn't work.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

2. berserker

Indie Author

#2 berserker, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. berserker

Indie Author

#3 berserker, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Emmanuel

Berserker, seems that the server doesn't like the load (fortunately the demos are hosted elsewhere). Can you try again now?

In terms of the name, it's indeed a popular title/query :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

5. whisperstorm

Original Member

Man, if I didnt know better, I'd say you should name this Stargate Atlantis -- it totally has that sort of vibe - from the little ship at the bottom to the circular menu screens. You should market this to Sci-Fi channel and get some branding :)

Anyway, I know that the whole Zuma-like genre is getting croweded, but I have to say that this is an impressive example of the genre. I especially like how the balls "fuzz" out when hit. However when they connect, there's no sound, so they seem less like physical objects.

The music is great too -- I have no doubt you are RealArcade bound...

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Good game! I personally don't understand how customers can be happy to play the same game under different themes... :) but who cares, if they're happy to empty their pockets, let them do that!
    The only complaint I had about the game is that is quite difficult. Maybe because I played it on my ibook (no mouse but touchpad only)... anyway the first levels should be easy to introduce the ladies to the game... :eek:

7. mooktown

Original Member

looks a little too much like a direct rip to me, does the target audience of casual games actually avoid any kind of originality? :confused:

8. Robert Cummings

Original Member

My game also has atlantis in the name.

Anyway... Nice try but you need to do something different now.
    The key here is it's OK to copy a genre, but you must make an improvement on it or be a little bit different to capture your audiance.

I think the game is VERY polished, I like it a lot :) but not as original as it could have been.

#8 Robert Cummings, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  9. Nexic

Indie Author

It's a solid, well polished game. But there is nothing new or special about it, it's a direct rip of the Zuma/Luxor genre. It's also a little too hard. Don't get me wrong it's very fun, but your only really going to sell it to people who don't already have one of the same genre, or who are complete match 3 fanatics.

I would have thought using the name 'Atlantis' when there are other games that have the exact same name would be a copyright violation?

10. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Call it something different from Atlantis.

Try calling it a french name or something cool. They are right - there is already a game called atlantis. Why not think of something fresh like luxor or zuma did?

11. Kaos

Original Member

No it isn't harder than Luxor/Zuma, infact I found it ALOT easier, was able to get thru all the demo levels with 32 minutes to spare (before it simply started back at level 1-1)

But I do agree that the name of the game is a problem, there was already a game called "Atlantis" that was a sorta Zuma match 3 ball game, (more of an "inside out kind of Zuma, but still same genre). (Toybox games, http://www.toybox-games.com)

Realarcade won't take the game under its current name as they already have the formentioned "Atlantis" game from Toybox Games.

Also I would tend to think that the title as it is the same as the Toybox games' would tend to confuse gamers in this way.

I suggest adding a colon to the name and give it a 2nd name. Something like Atlantis: Battle for the Future.

War-Atlantis
    @lantis, (lol)

But a name change, quick!

There was 1 error in the game, on level 6-1, I got down to 1 color (red) and it was only giving me orange balls! Of course I ended up losing a life on that level but on my 2nd try, I was successful.

Runs faster than Luxor! I like the fact that when I click to shoot, the ball hits the target instantly, vs, in Luxor there was about a 1 sec delay that made the game irratable.

Also about every 2 levels, I was able to obtain a new life from the points objective menu, this can make the game a bit 2 easy, would recommend increasing the number of points needed to buy a life to at least 80.

12. Robert Cummings

Original Member

IMHO the name atlantis is WAY overused... Perhaps call it Luzumor: attack of the clones :)

13. Nexic

Indie Author

That kind of thing is usually subjective.

14. papillon

Indie Author

It's pretty, but it was lacking something in fun for me. Hard to put my finger on why.

It bothered me having so many balls all come out with the same pattern. We've talked elsewhere about the need to differentiate with pattern as well as color for those whose color-perception isn't so good... Of course, you wouldn't expect the color-blind to play color-matchers. I'm not colorblind but the balls felt less *interesting* all being so similar (at first - I gathered that 'special' balls with different textures were coming out later.)

Unfortunately for me the sound effect made by the balls disappearing/restocking was *really really annoying* and headache-tweaking. I tried turning FX off entirely - although Ihad to go all the way back to the main menu to get an options button - but then the game feels really boring. So I just shrugged and quit.

It's shiny and I'm sure some people will like it, it's just not for me.

15. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Out of curiosity did you enjoy zuma/luxor?

16. papillon

Indie Author

I loved zuma. I've never played luxor.
    (Am now downloading luxor and tumble bugs for comparative purposes - From the webpage display alone Tumble Bugs was immediately more appealing.)

(Initial launch of Luxor - Yep, I like this one too, it's fun and shiny. Whatever the magical Fun thing is that I was missing in Atlantis, Luxor has it. The ball-reload sound is still annoying, but not AS annoying.)

(Check complete - Yup, Tumble Bugs is Fun as well. I don't know, I can't explain what's missing. Maybe Atlantis just isn't girly enough for me. :) )

#16 papillon, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  17. Robert Cummings

Original Member

This game is actually a clone of luxor, which is slightly different.

18. berserker

Indie Author

I worder how big would be the number of zuma clones until gamers feel enough? Perhaps it's time for me to make one? :D
    ________
    ROOR BONG PICTURES

#18 berserker, Jul 24, 2005
  19. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Sure, go right ahead :)

The thing is, you're going to have to actually make it as good or better in quality... can you?

20. Chris Evans

I will say I'm impressed with the speed in which you develop games. Garden Golf came only a month or two after Garden War and this game came only a few months after Garden Golf.

Though it would have been nice to see you continue your "Garden" theme, instead of another Zuma/Luxor clone. :) But who knows, the portal audiences seem to dig Zuma games with essentially palette changes, so maybe this game will do well.