ANN: Caxcade released

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by robleong, Aug 14, 2004.

1. robleong

Indie Author

Guys, here's the first puzzle game that I've just completed. Gameplay is really 2D, but graphics and animation are a combination of 2D sprites and true 3D so, I know, the processor requirements are rather high for a simple puzzle game! :)

You may download the demo here.

For screenshots, please visit my website at www.gamerblitz.com/Caxcade.php

Comments, good or bad, are most welcomed. Thanks!

2. Wayward

Original Member

Caxcade looked like an interesting idea for a puzzle game, but the demo just doesn't give you enough time to appreciate it. Each level lasts about 20 seconds which is enough time for about three basic moves or one decent move, and the demo expires after three (?) levels.

I found 'level complete' frustrating when I wanted to keep going. I felt the levels should play continously.

The gameplay could work for me, but at the moment it doesn't with the current time limitation.

3. robleong

Indie Author

Thanks a lot for your comments, Wayward. Yes, the demo is very limited - I thought I needed to limit it to encourage purchase of the full version! In the full version, each level consists of about 10 moves, rather than the 4 in the demo. :) Perhaps I've shortened the demo too much...

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Rob, I just checked out your demo and have to say that you did a very nice job! Who did your art and music??

The only suggestion I have is to allow the "mouse dragging" style of swapping adjacent pieces as well as the "click first piece, click second piece" that you already have. (I mention this because Diamond Mine does this, and many of your possible customers for this game could be former Diamond Mine players.)

5. robleong

Indie Author

Thanks Jim. Artwork was done entirely by myself - couldn't find an artist! Music was done by a British lady who has a degree in music - it actually sounds better in the full version (mono in demo, stereo in full version). Mouse dragging style is a good idea - let me look into it. :)

6. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Good job Rob! You should have gave us a demo at our last Indie meeting. ;)

I like the music and the gameplay seems interesting, however I agree with the others that the demo time needs to be extended a little. It's hard to get a feel for the game with such a short demo time.

I also like the floating icons that you can manipulate with your mouse pointer on the title screen. :)

7. robleong

Indie Author

Thanks for assessing the game, Chris. Hmm, looks like there is consensus about making the demo a bit longer, so I will do so - thanks guys! I won't make it play continuously because it'll be too much to do, as otherwise, I'll have to change the whole gameplay concept.