animated, repeating, water textures in OpenGL

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by oddvark, Aug 1, 2017.

1. oddvark

Original Member

Hello,

I'm working on a very simple 2D game that is a perfect Top Down game, like old Civilization games or Ultima 1-4 games. I have water that I'd like to animate with something like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9F5e4P9Jx...Water_WaveAnimation_16frames_SeamlessTest.gif

I'm curious what route you guys took for this? That particular image is a gif, and my thoughts are I can take the individual images of the gif and put them all into one texture. Then "flip" through the textures by changing the texture coordinates. I would then blend that texture with my current texture (because I already have a shoreline textures that I want to use). Does this sound about right? What other options are there?