Angry Birds Space

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by JGOware, Mar 22, 2012.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

hmm... 360 degree planet gravity physics + space = potentially boring game imho.

The game play looks very boring to me, plus usually...space is a brick wall for the female demographic. Prolly will still do ok due to the marketing machine.

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I found the original game boring tbh, never have gotten why it went so meteoric.

It's well made and there's nothing really wrong with it, but that's true of maybe 10 releases a week.

#2 Applewood, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

I find it degrading. It is like making movie sequels, we all know it is a milking cow.
    And I hate this type of games it kills you mentally.

4. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

I'm not surprised, it was simple yet different from the 10000+ match-3 clones around at the time when it launched with bright colours that appealed to the female demographic.

I'm sure they'll get have super-tankers of money shipped to them following this release regardless of how good or bad it is.
    When they start licencing your game's brand to build children's playgrounds then you know you've cracked it!

I'm actually more impressed because I (vaguely) remember when Rovio first started (pre-Angry Birds release) they were asked by some journo if they were going to be indie devs and said no, they were building a mass-market franchise... and that's exactly what they've done.
    Total focus, that's what you need in this game.

As an aside, if you type Angry Birds into the chrome it redirects straight to http://chrome.angrybirds.com/ rather than the normal google search.
    Further proof of Google's meglomania?

5. Tobias

Indie Author

That's because you have installed it before, no?

6. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Quite probably. It is in my chrome apps to be fair, but I still find it a bit sneaky as it jars against the normal UX where if it's not a url you normally get a search instead.

How long before they start doing it as normal in the search results though?
    There's already precedence with the up-coming updates to include semantic search results where you'll be able to type (their example) Lake Tahoe into the search engine and get a page of results from Google owned properties with the current weather, travel information, etc rather than non-Google websites about Lake Tahoe.

But hey-ho, my comment on meglomania wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously btw ;)

#6 Nutter2000, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

I noticed it too when one day I was searing google for my name, and one of the top hits was a link to my google+ account. The account that I have 0 posts, 0 circles, and have looked at twice.

As for Angry Birds, there's a lot to learn there. I'm sure people were fascinated as to why Tetris was so popular. Very, very simple to learn, extreme ease of entry. Makes for a great game at the pizza arcade, waiting for your order, as you can get fulfilling satisfaction from just a few minutes of play.

8. bottle capper

bottle capper New Member

I dunno, I'm psyched. It's basic and fun, so why make more out of it than that?