Android sales beats iPhone in US

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

Native debugging is the worst culprit.

Yes, that's precisely what I mean. The argument was that it's more developer-friendly, and this is one of the areas in which it isn't.

So we're agreed then.

Funny to think that when I made my previous post, there was still such a thing as Google Wave.

Well, these are costs which are dwarfed by your development time. If it takes an extra day of work to complete your android port, you've already blown through the cost of a second-hand mac mini from ebay. And you haven't factored in the cost of a single ipod touch, vs a clutch of off-contract android devices.

I'm just going by personal experience.
    iPhone: several SKUs over 18 months and countless updates. The only time I didn't have a version sail through was when they found a bug in the way the app handled changing orientation, and they gave me steps to reproduce and a link to the relevant documentation covering the issue.
    Android: They'll accept the $25 fee wherever it's paid from, but try to publish and I'm blocked because I'm physically located in the wrong first-world western democracy.

Yes, that's true.

If it weren't for the geo-blocking, I'd be all over Android. The other drawbacks certainly aren't enough to stop me, and my whole business strategy is 'be on everything'. But I chimed in on this thread because it was claimed that android is better, cheaper, easier for developers - and it really doesn't look that way from where I'm sitting.

2. Derek5432

Derek5432 New Member

Actually, one person in this thread said Android was cheaper and more developer-friendly. 'Cheaper' is definitely true. You're right about the registration costs, but unless you already own a Mac you'd have to fork out the money for one to develop on the iPhone, which is a non-trivial cost. 'Developer-friendly' is more subjective, but I'd still give the edge to Android, mostly due to the freedom regarding what and how you can develop for the platform.

What you consider the 'better' platform is going to depend on a lot of factors, but probably most importantly the potential for financial success. I find it interesting that you completely ignore the possibility of monetizing with ads. If that's a personal preference or doesn't fit in with your business model, so be it. But not being able to sell paid apps from your country is not a valid basis by itself to dismiss a platform. Besides, another option would be to work with a developer or publisher who can publish paid apps.

There are obviously legitimate reasons not to develop on the platform, but your objections are actually quite weak and your comparison of Android to Google Wave is ludicrous. Google launches lots of products, and some fail and some succeed. Android is already a massive success and shows no signs of slowing. It is largely responsible for massive increases in profits for manufacturers like HTC and is credited with turning around Motorola. Multiple Android devices are sold on every major US carrier and many others internationally and the latest models (such as the Droid X) can't even be kept in stock. Android may ultimately implode or fail, but to compare its current state to a collaboration product that never garnered wide adoption shows a serious lack of perspective.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yes, the freedom to sell unlicensed emulators, torrent clients, and ad supported clones.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

So, since you can't develop for Android you try to lower its image? You've heard about the sour grapes fable, haven't you :)

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I'm just saying the "freedoms" are irrelevant. Like exotic flavored dog food. They don't make the platform any better.

6. Bad Sector

Original Member

You didn't said that though, you just threw some mud :)

I agree that the iPhone is a better platform (and yes i know people who live from that - see, for example, the Archetype FPS which was released a few days ago and made some crazy six figure sales in the first week) but that doesn't mean Android is something to ignore, especially when -as Derek5432 mentioned- there are options to monetize games even without living in one of the blessed countries.

Personally, living in Greece, i had ruled out Android just for this reason. But this thread made me starting to consider it again.

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I paint with mud on weekends.

8. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

Yes, and I responded to them, and you took issue with my response.

It's what, a couple of hundred dollars for a second-hand mac mini? It's definitely in the 'trivial' range compared to development time.

Yes, there are many ways to get around the various obstacles, but that doesn't change the fact that the obstacles exist and have to be factored in.

I never said android was going to disappear - the carriers love it for obvious reasons (it's under their control). But I said that there's no guarantee that google will fix those boring financial issues, because of the unique and haphazard way they manage their projects. They've certainly had plenty of time to do so.

As I said, I've got no big thing against android, but I do take issue with people claiming it's a wonderful open free future that will vanquish the evil closed apple.

Here's a great example of google capriciously yanking an app: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-pulls-easy-root-market. And the developer responds with a statement about how wonderful their 'openness and freedom' is, and it's a shame they were forced to do that.
    Perhaps if BP's slogan had been "don't spill oil", people would be congratulating them on how well they've handled the difficult situation in the gulf of mexico.

9. ecruz

Original Member

Android phone itself is great, but the game sales is not.

10. Escapee

Original Member

But but there are many free ads supported pretty girls & hot girls app released almost on the daily basis (yes i'm serious). :eek:

Quote from the forum
    I think the battle of smartphone supremacy is still on Iphone side but as someone pointed out Android can remain as strong contender if some of the issues are fixed ( like creating a special category for all the new pretty girls apps :eek: )

#30 Escapee, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  11. hippocoder

Indie Author

I'll develop on android when I get the time and a success story from iPhone, then its port city :)

12. namre

namre New Member

This is good news especially for me since I'm planning to make games on the Android instead of the Iphone.

13. aiursrage2k

Original Member

As far as I can tell Canada can sell games.
    http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

That's where apps can be purchased, not sold from. Follow the word ordering closely, and note that "developers in these locations" is a link. I don't think they're trying to mislead people, just the choice of words leaves room for confusion.

http://market.android.com/publish/Home

If you're a member of the dev program, you have a link to set up a merchant account there. There's a countries drop-down box. I check it regularly (obsessive compulsive). No Canada.

15. ionside

ionside New Member

16. meds

meds New Member

I'm really looking forward to Windows Phone 7, the Silverlight/XNA development platforms are awesome, and I really want to make some silverlight games anyway :D

17. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yes, now I can focus my distaste on the Java part.

18. Makani

Makani New Member

My game, which is rated #1 on GameSpot under both iPhone and Android, did better on Bada in 4 days than Android did in 4 weeks. Check out my article: The Samsung Bada Revolution.