Android appstore refunds rate

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

So I published my first small game on the Android appstore:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.winterwolves.heileendemo
    and I'm quite shocked by the refund rate so far: 50%!!!

Of course I'm not selling many units (I'm a niche so, less units but at higher prices) but I'm surprised. I have games on iOS of same niche or pricing (actually even higher price) that definitely don't have such insane refund rate.

No wonders people makes less revenues on the Android than itunes... :D

p.s. refunds aren't due to errors/crashes since nobody has ever had any problem. They're those nice "buy a game, download the APK and request refund 5 minutes later". I hope at least Google will block the users that makes heavily use of this "cheat mode"?

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Didn't have that high on mine (Holiday Bonus for Android) but still quite high. Yea I believe that it's possible to buy the game, get the refund and keep the game according to the guy who did my Unity port of Holiday Bonus. Sucks that people actually do that just because they can.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well the percentage went down today but still quite high. I spoke with other Android devs and they all had similar experiences. If Google wants to promote his checkout, they should be trying to prevent such things somehow.

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

It is a stupid choice from Google. I have no problem for people to get a refund if they really feel like they should. But it shouldn't be something as easy, or so tempting should I say.

JC

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

QFT

You should get a refund if it doesn't work, but not just because you don't like it. Especially when there's a demo available (usually) and the price so tiny.

(btw our refund rate is about 1 in 10)

6. Scharlo

Original Member

Interesting. Our refund rate on Android Appstore is less than 1%. With all the 'can't process payment' cases it adds up to about 10%.

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Actually that's where I'm at, just made a mental note of how much business google are throwing away on our behalf. "Internal market error" ftw.

You'd think they'd have 10 blokes working 24/7 to fix that one. I guess once you get to a certain size then pissing money away is no longer a bother.

8. 30BelowStudios

30BelowStudios New Member

Wow had no idea that this could be done. Their system is seriously broken if so.