And a sneak peak at Titan Attacks too

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Vorax

Original Member

I don't think it needs difficulty levels. It's a progression. The question is why is someone getting stuck so early on? Lack of skill, or not realizing the value of buying the powerups? (or not buying the right powerups?)

2. princec

Indie Author

I care not for lack of skill, it's lack of fun I'm worried about! Only seeing 20% of the game means I've wasted 80% of my efforts on someone...

I'm just uploading a new version (0.4) which has all the Jupiter levels in now and a couple of Titan ones, so theres 82 levels to play now (eek!) and I've tuned the difficulty to make it somewhat easier as you progress. I want more people to see more of the game.

Cas :)

3. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

Nice game. I played it on a Mac OSX 10.4.3 and when I first went to your link on the first post, it just flashed a "Java Web Start" window forever. The second time I clicked on "invaders.jnlp" it downloaded and ran. It went fine until I got to about the 8th or so screen "Challenge" level, then after I got a perfect score it just quit.

I like the score to game screen transitions, and the searchlight are cool.

Thought you would want some Mac feedback.

Tom

4. princec

Indie Author

Sorry, forgot to upload a jar... try it again and it'll be ok now. I'd better do a proper Mac build really.

5. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

Okay, this one loaded fine.

Beta Tester Tom :)

6. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I'm now getting a message about a corrupt installer for the Win version. Bad/partial file maybe?

7. princec

Indie Author

Was just uploading...

8. Trick

Original Member

Nice game :). Slows down a bit when there's a lot of action (screen filled with shots), but that's probably to be expected as I've only got a 500mhz P3. Also, when I got to the Alien Homeworld, there was a bunch of empty levels followed by a random (?) selection of earlier levels -- then I got to the boss on the purple level again and the game crashed. This was using a version downloaded about an hour ago, in Linux. Is there a log file somewhere ?

9. electronicStar

Original Member

OK I just tested a new version and it's flawless now. Good job!
    Extra leveles at the beggining make for a better difficulty curve.

Well, I encountered one little problem: At one moment, instead of having the shop screen I had a black screen and nothing clicked. I had to use escape and Alt+f4 then reenter the game to continue.

I love the backgrounds.
    This game is a win!

10. princec

Indie Author

Trick - I've not done the alien homeworld levels yet! Well, I have, but only 2 of them, 18 more to go and a boss.

electronicStar - chances are you paused the game accidentally during the screen transition. P key unpauses. It's really more of a "say cheese for the camera" pause because it doesn't display any message... maybe it should ;)

11. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

It still crashes for me when the loading bar is about 2/3 complete. Even with a fresh download that I did 5 minutes ago.

Edit - Never mind - deleting the old install and reinstalling everything fixed it.

#171 Phil Steinmeyer, Jan 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  12. the2bears

Original Member

I got the same sort of crash, 1/2 the loading bar was filled.

And a hard crash it was... shift-alt gone, ctrl-alt-del gone (or rather no change in the image, stuck on the splash screen).

I'll try an uninstall and install... I had just updated over-top.

Bill

13. princec

Indie Author

Yes, sorry - to anyone still downloading new versions, please uninstall the old ones. You might need to delete the settings & cache files in docs & settings\username\Titan Attacks* as well.

14. the2bears

Original Member

Uninstall and install works fine.

Bill

15. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Mostly the new version is pretty good.

One thing, though, I don't like...

Now that they can shoot lasers down at you, and you can shoot lasers up at them, it's too confusing. Whenever you see that laser beam, you don't know if it's yours or theirs ('cause yours fires kinda randomly - the time lag means it's hard to keep track of).

I'd suggest making the 4th weapon upgrade for you something different.

16. Bmc

Bmc New Member

so is there mouse control in this yet?

i haven't tried it since you first posted... just curious cos if there is I want to retry it ;)

17. princec

Indie Author

Still no mouse control and still not sure how to implement it yet without buggering up the game mechanics.

18. Savant

Original Member

I suggested Heavy Weapon style movement last time we talked about this, and I see that as being the only way to make it happen.

However, having played for a long while now, I don't think you need it. Keyboard and gamepad should be more than sufficient.

19. g666

Original Member

Why did you change it so that you cant shoot down those bombs anymore. It feels unfair; they come down either side of you or when your next to a the wall and your stuck really.

I think it can be quite a hard game, ive never made it past mars, but i am getting better everytime i play it.

20. princec

Indie Author

Ah you picked up a random interim build where that was disabled as an experiment. Download again!