And a sneak peak at Titan Attacks too

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jan 3, 2006.

1. princec

Indie Author

Mouse control's in now. Try it out and see what you think. (RMB will do smartbombs)

Cas :)

2. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Hmm - latest build, I'm prompted to enter Reg code - say no, then am given two choices - Buy Now or something else - one dumps me out of the game altogether - the other dumps me out to the puppygames web site.

3. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

I found just entering a random email bypassed it.

4. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

High score screen is now inaccessible (after you've lost)

Challenge stage should start just a bit easier - it's pretty much impossible for the first two rounds (until you can afford a bunch of upgrades to add-ons, speed, and # of bullets).

Overall, the difficulty feels pretty good.

5. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Actually - it feels too hard now. The bosses' arms have way too many HP - you overcompensated on them. I've been killed four times in a row by the moon boss.

6. Stu

Stu
    Original Member

If enough folks disagree so be it, but I'm going to go ahead and be the weenie and say that generally speaking, the mother ships are too difficult. I don't mind how many hits they take or how many shots they fire. My problem with them is that I think they move in too close to me. They need to keep their butts back where I've got a chance. It's quite common for me to have a solid game going and blow it all, including several shields, on a single mother ship. I've spent more time playing this game then I'd care to admit yet I've never gotten beyond Mars on any version. Do I suck that bad? :eek:

My only other gripe is with the challenge levels. I much preferred it the other way with a larger quantity of slower moving targets. It was more gratifying to hit a crowded field of them even if I didn't get them all. I feel completely robbed by the speed of some of these things in this newer version.

The mouse controls seem to work fine but having played with the keyboard from the beginning it doesn't feel right at all.

7. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I finally beat the moon boss, but got knocked out by the Mars Boss. 8 arms, with LOTS of HP each, spitting zone bombs and regular bombs - I'm not sure how you'd beat this guy other than maybe firing off 3 quick smart bombs, and even then...

8. princec

Indie Author

Woops yes the bosses are a bit hard at the moment. I'm trying to find the balance point based on your abilities to keep them challenging and still defeatable.

The current builds up are actually testing demo timeout and nag so once it expires on you - tough :)

9. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

On more bug.

On Saturn - those big guys who start in a static position dropping area bombs, then every now and then 'fall' down and through to the top again.

Near the end of the level, one guy fell and then as he came back through the top again, he positioned himself so far to the left that I couldn't shoot him. I sat waiting for him to reposition further to the right for abotu a minute, but even though he was flying patterns (I think), he always stayed left. I could only kill him with a smart bomb - if I was out of those I wouldn't have been able to progress.

10. Savant

Original Member

The challenge stages are a LOT less fun now. The ships move way too fast and basically the only chance you have is to position yourself in the middle of the screen and hold down fire. Any attempt at strafing to catch one results in instant losing. Smart bombs are pretty much required to finish the challenges now. :confused:

11. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

One comment Id make has to do with the mushroom cloud bombs. In general I find those a little annoying. Seems on some levels the only thing to do is sit in the corner till there's a gap in the random firing pattern and then move under the ships and attack them. I dont feel like im "playing" anymore at that point. I think those bombs have their place but I feel they're overused.

12. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

I think the problem is maybe that there's only two types of enemy bombs, forcing you to over-rely on the mushroom cloud bombs in later levels.

What about other types of bombs - maybe a 'seeking' bomb that has a slight (not strong) tracking element to it. Or how about having some aliens fire conventional bombs, but they're wider than normal (making them a bit harder to dodge)

13. NuriumGames

Original Member

Love the concept, I would add more graphics variety, but the game is really fun anyway. My only problem are the parachuting aliens, IMHO you should not quit $ when you miss one, but give $ it you hit them.

14. princec

Indie Author

I'll have a think about what to do.

15. tafty

Original Member

Is there something screwy going on with the left mouse button now or is it my mouse?! When I enter the shop screen it's automatically 'down' causing me to click on the first button the pointer goes over - which is bloomin' annoying because that often means buying a smart bomb if I've got enough cash and there's room on board! It goes to the 'up' position once the button has been clicked.

I also agree with those above that say don't punish the player for not capturing a parachuting alien. I agree that you shouldn't get $ for shooting them though. Maybe if you don't capture them they should explode in a mushroom cloud stylee?

And I also no longer find the bonus stage fun anymore. The ships often whizz by way too fast. Previously when there were plenty of ships moving on and off the screen if I missed one it felt like my fault - now it feels like I don't stand a chance right from the off.

The rest is all good satisfying blasting - though I've got to admit I've only made it part way through the Moon.

16. Savant

Original Member

Not to sound grouchy, but is there a new version coming soon with the challenge stages fixed? It's pretty unfun to play right now. :(

17. Storm

Original Member

I have to agree with Savant. It's a great game (can I pre-order?), but the challenge stages feel like they're based more on luck than skill as it is right now.

18. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Agreed.. challenge stages are broken. They rely too much on luck. There's a little skill but it's easy to get a really fast ship at just the wrong moment and have it throw you off in a way that you cant succeed no matter how well you play. Ideally I think you'd want galaga style challenge stages.. where a good player could learn the patterns and improve.

19. princec

Indie Author

Hm. Well, right about now, I can nearly always beat the challenge stages. It does just take genuine skill. I also wanted it so getting 100% was a real challenge as the rewards are massive. Even if you only get 95% that's still a hefty score bonus. Most of the challenge stage revolves around sharpshooting and reflexes rather than before where it was literally about whacking the fire button as much as possible and mostly always everything died.

I may make them very very slightly slower and see how that does. About 5-10% or so. I want it to be the case where you really have to try for 100%. It has to feel like a great achievement or it's not a challenge stage at all.

20. Savant

Original Member

All I know is my own experience from playing - and that was that they were a lot more fun before. If you don't get a perfect, you've wasted your time because you don't get the bonus item. I suck, so I often had to use smart bombs to get perfects if a ship got away from me but I was OK with that. I was still able to achieve without feeling too bad (I had to buy the bomb after all, and it was my choice to use it). I get a feeling of utter hopelessness from the current way of things. They start flying across the screen and I can feel the fun leaving my body.