And a sneak peak at Titan Attacks too

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jan 3, 2006.

1. princec

Indie Author

Titan Attacks is a mini-space invaders game based on the Puppygames home page applet. Left, right, shoot, smartbomb. Chaz has done his usual wonders on it and it's in the same format as Ultratron.

Screens:
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    and Here

Windows (6mb)
    Webstart (Linux & Mac) (4mb)

- Only the first 40 levels done, 10 more to go
    - Sounds and music are just placeholders. Might be time to contact Mike Huang coz our sound guy has gone the way of an old oak table
    - Would be interested to know if it runs OK but more interested to know if it doesn't and on what hardware
    - I'm especially interested in tuning comments and notes about difficulty, challenge, etc. and maybe your opinions on where to cut the demo
    - I don't really want your opinion on Webstart - Windows and Mac people get native installers for the released version ;)

Cas :)

#1 princec, Jan 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. Savant

Original Member

Brilliant! Seriously, I love this graphical niche you guys have carved out for yourselves. The retro pixel glowy thing is great!

I liked the game a lot, and that's coming from someone who didn't really dig Ultratron. I love these small, compact game experiences...

3. jankoM

Indie Author

This game is just too cool for itself... I will just return to mysql and php because I know I won't ever make such a stylish game.

The gfx is much better that in ultratron IMO. It has much more depth and is more defined/refined/evolved. I will tell you about the play tomorow if I will have anything interesting to say... i am going to sleep now - I have to switch to LAMP mode again.

4. Tom Cain

Indie Author

Very nicely done. I really liked it. The backgrounds add a lot to the experience, they are like a little story playing out.

It runs fine for me on Win XP with nVidia. There was some kind of glitch where particles from exploding baddies appear out of the lower-left corner of the screen. This happened on every explosion.

My first impression of where to cut the demo is just as the Mother Ship drops. (I wasn't paying attention to what level that is, maybe it's too far in.) Maybe a purchase note that lets the Mother Ship continue dropping/animating/shooting while the player cannot move.

Great job on this one.

5. Drake

Indie Author

Code:
    sneak peak [I]n.[/I]

1. An untrustworthy mountain
    2. The apex of stealthy behavior

Commonly confused with: [I]sneak peek[/I]
    :) The game is rock 'n roll. I liked Ultratron, but I like this even better. Some notes:

- Smart bombs seemed too expensive. At $500, I might have made the investment, but for $1000 I would rather buy 4 shields.
    - Is the progress indicator from Ultratron going to be in this one?
    - I liked the placeholder sounds and music.
    - I would cut the demo after the first boss battle, or maybe a couple waves into the moon (so they can see the asteroids, which are awesome).
    - The wave I died on (18?) was pretty rough. I got pinned down by constant bombing and low-flying cluster guys.
    - Good stuff!

6. adamw

Original Member

Really, really good! I'm suddenly back into retro games and this fits the bill nicely.

Now how about a few more? Say Joust? Or Galaxian? Maybe a PacMan? It might sound crazy, but with this game style, you could do any of these very well - and make a nifty game pack.

Killer stuff, Cas. Keep it up.

7. Vorax

Original Member

In a word - Brilliant!

I loved it! Your right, it's like the space invaders on your web page -- but about a 1000x better :)

- The graphics are slick and stylish (of course)
    - The game play is fluid and responsive
    - The enemy patterns are interesting and challenging
    - Each level is something slightly different and keeps you wanting to get to the next
    - The animated backgrounds are great and even come into the gameplay because they make you want to see how the rest of humanity is fairing out thus distracting you from your own troubles.
    - The upgrade system is nice
    - The inplay bonuses and powerups are great
    - Lots of little touches - like ships falling and the asteroids
    - Challenge levels are fun yet challenging

The only complaint was fullscreen couldn't be enabled (not in yet?)

As for where to cut the demo - Maybe allow one level on the moon, then rip their heart out :)

Overall - a must have game!

#7 Vorax, Jan 3, 2006
  8. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

As usual from cas, its very slick. Definitely worth a look.

- S

PS : Hey! You trying to get me in a corner defending myself for playing favorites... post some screens!

9. Mark_Tempe

Original Member

10/10 for Style
    And just about everything else
    Fool screen mode would be nice trough
    Cat the demo on the moon

All the best
    Mark

10. whisperstorm

Original Member

I agree with all of the comments above -this game has winner all over it. If I could add one thing to really clinch the "feel" of the game, it would be to add a cylon like voice at the beginning of each level saying something like "initiate invasion" or "commence phase four" or something like that.

Another possible feedback item- when you hit an enemy that's going to take 2 hits to kill, it'd be cool for the enemy to change color slightly.

Awesome game!

11. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Runs well on AMD 2500+ with one Gig and a Radeon 9600 Pro. Well Done! Sounds Good? Full Screen Option does not seem to work at this point?

PS: What will the price of this game be?

12. Gnatinator

Original Member

:mad: my arm hurts so bad.

After the final boss the game just sat there playing the same sound over and over and i couldnt submit my massive score :eek:

Other then that, this is without a doubt the best space-invader type game i've ever played. Thank you cas! :D

[EDIT]
    gah its been 15 minutes already and it still feels like my arm is on fire. Damn you cas! ;)

#12 Gnatinator, Jan 3, 2006
  13. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Nicely improved since last time saw it. Feels a lot more lively than before with things dropping at your character and so forth. Couple things noticed...

- Add mouse control, would help it sell more.

- Have powerups drop to ground and stay there for a couple seconds? When powerups drop they currently drop right past the player. Perhaps give player more chance to pick them up and have them pause on ground for a couple seconds.

- ALT-F4 problem? While was playing I pressed ALT-F4 and game remained hung. Killed game and tried again and no problem so is intermittent.

14. the2bears

Original Member

Cas,

This is absolutely ace. You've really found your style and groove! Master of the glowing, pixel particles :)

I'm excited for you, I've watched your games progress from Alien Flux to Ultratron to this... keep it up!

Bill

15. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I liked it a lot too, easily my favorite game you have done, Cas. I agree with Brian, adding mouse would make it sell more, even if it screws up the gameplay experience...

16. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I've been waiting to catch you and give feedback about this, Cas. I haven't had a chance to play the new one yet, but this is based on the older version you sent me (that craps out somewhere on Mars).

Basically, I just want to say that I think it's great. I think you guys have hit on to a winner with this Ultratron/Titan style, and you should crank out as many games like this as you can (which, I'm guessing, shouldn't be too hard for you at this point). The backgrounds look awesome and really add to the experience. I loved the asteroids, too.

The version I played had a bug with the ships that have little ships orbiting them - if they divebombed and died, the little ships would stay there, stuck at the bottom of the screen, and you'd have to crash into them to kill them. But I suppose you've fixed that now?

I'll have to have a sit-down tonight and play the new demo. It was disappointing when they ran out on me...

17. luggage

Same here - easily the best thing you've done yet.

Had a few issues with sounds cutting out, like there weren't enough channels available or something.

And the power up screen is a bit too easy to dismiss.

And on the power up screen when you press up while on Continue it takes you to the top of item menu. Would be a bit neater if the menu items wrapped around as well. ie. down on Continue takes you to Shield and Up on Continue takes you to Speed.

Apart from that I really liked it.

18. luggage

Arse!! Just on for the highscore and the game doesn't end properly! Just got a sound effect repeating and telling me it's game over.

1527150! Grrr!!!

Attached Files:

• mofo.JPG
      mofo.JPG
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  19. Bmc

Bmc New Member

love the graphical and musical style.

I'll 3rd the "it needs mouse control". For a game like this, it's just more intuitive.

20. princec

Indie Author

Haha, pedant :)

I'll take a look at level 18 and maybe remove one or two aliens. It's pretty hectic.

Smartbombs will be getting cheaper. But they will also get very slightly less effective - some of the nastier aliens might survive.

Cas :)