Ancient Quest of Saqqarah BETA

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by codeminion, May 16, 2008.

1. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

I'd agree with that (albeit only now, and only reluctantly). See a thread from a while back (http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=12745) to some answers for program location. Making a non-standard directory will only make things more complicated in the long run, in my opinion. Even if the behaviour for Program Files is a pain to deal with.

2. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

2 words apply here... Bloody Brilliant!

11 out of 10 for effort and hope it sells by the bucket load for you guys.

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Weird name, but fantastic looking game! Great particle effects and screen transitions. The different game modes and mini-games are cool. Great sound/music. Well done! Hope it does well for you.

Noticed some things:

- On the Credits screen, you can mouse over the "change player" area which is invisible and it makes a mouse over "ding" noise.
    - Couple of times in the game the sound went wrong. Basically all sound cut out for about 250ms then came back on and it did that maybe 4-5 times like sound off/on/off/on/off/on. Maybe a buffer issue?? I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with up-to-date drivers. (notice you are using OpenAL, so am I for my games and they seems fine on my PC)
    - On the puzzle temple it said "only one more move" and I made the wrong move and it said "no, go back" but I did that really quickly and he said "only one more move again" over the top of the other speech, so there were two speech samples (at least) playing at once.

Oh the English voice is a bit "hammy", but I guess that's OK ;-)

I'm jealous of many of the effects too, esp. the lightening.

Filled out the questionnaire for you as well.

#23 Grey Alien, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow the special effects and graphics for this one are over the top!
    well done. I didn't even pay attention to the game underneath (which is probably for the better because I'm not a fan of match3)

5. aliosa

aliosa New Member

i dont know what to say. its a verry good game. i know people will play it. but it looks so complex.

i only have 1 thing to say as feedback beside it looks perfect, at first, when i set up my name i entered for the first time in the game but the games shows on the center my name like this "welcome back Aliosa" but i did not been there before... get my point? it should say. Welcome Aliosa for the first time. and the other times should say .. welcome back aliosa...

I wish u luck with your game, i dont know for sure but i think some of the images are more sharp than the others. please be careful with the sharp level.

the 3d characters are verry good and i like the idea of cutting frames and work as stop motion animation for game size save...

good luck!

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I sent this to someone but they couldn't play it due to the cursor lag bug.

7. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

We're working on fixing it and all should be fine in the next version. You can direct this person to us, if he or she would feel like helping us with testing the fix :).

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Sure when you've uploaded the fix I'll tell them to try it out again - can't guarantee they will, but hopefully they will.

9. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Overall it's fantastic. It's nice to see someone actually thinking about new mechanics and not just purely rehashing what's been done. Production values are clearly over the top. Sometimes it actually feels like "too much" flash and whiz bang. Lots of depth and variety in the gameplay, and very nice surrounding meta-game elements. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts to this. It would certainly be a shame if it didn't sell very well. I can't imagine the insane amount of work you guys must have put into this. (or rather i can and I get tired just thinking about it)

10. HDL

HDL New Member

I want to play but am also suffering from the cursor lag bug I'm afraid, much to my frustration. It looks very pretty, nice and shiny and the music was good.

Switching it out of fullscreen mode though has fixed the bug for me so now I get to play. :)

Played my hour, filled in the survey, sent the log file. Unfortunately I forgot to check the frame-rate whilst I wasn't playing in windowed mode so I'm not certain what it is.

I wasn't a fan of the magic symbols bonus round mostly because the symbols were a bit dark for me and I don't have that great eye-sight when it comes to picking stuff out. It's good that the round was there but I'd have liked a skip button and more of a clue why I was doing the round in the first place.

I rarely read text unless I have to so I've still no clue what the scarab was for, or those coins or why some gems wanted to get supercharged or whatever it was that made them glow. No idea how to get rid of those annoying Seth pieces other than using random either, and they seemed to swap fine with other pieces sometimes only I thought they weren't meant to. Of course all of this could be fixed if I read the text when it came up. Is it also in the help files? Hmm suppose I should have gone and checked before my trial ran out but I usually read as little as possible whilst doing trials since the more time reading the less time playing and I know which I find more fun.

The third temple had the most fun mechanic for me. I liked rearranging the pieces, swapping them around to get the whole board filled and trying to do it in as few moves as possible. First temple was the 2nd most enjoyable for me since it was the traditional match mechanic. The fourth temple frustrated me a bit since the 2nd level of it was the puzzle which took me longest to complete and I think my time almost ran out on it. I just couldn't get pieces to bridge a certain line. It was still fun though I suppose. The second temple though, it took me a bit to work out I should be clicking on the triangles not on the tokens to rotate the pieces. I always preferred clicking to rotate with the left button several times as opposed to once with the right since I couldn't remember which way rotated them which. It didn't feel quite as satisfying as the other puzzles either but I did at least get enough puzzles done to get my key.

It's a gorgeous game, very well polished.

Unlike the others I like when I make moves and everything cascades and megapoint stuff happens. I find it unsatisfying when things like that don't happen. I'm pretty sure it should be possible to set up those sort of matches too (or would be if I wasn't clicking so fast) so there is a sort of skill element to it. But mostly I don't like my match-3s to be too difficult, at least not to begin with.

I like match-3s. I really enjoyed this one. I think it did everything right. I like how polished it is, the fantastic production values, the different gameplay modes and how you don't have to complete all of one before moving onto the other. I like the unlockables, both the trophies and that the new temples are unlocked. Is more stuff unlocked when I finish stage1 of a temple? I'm presuming yes.

Anyway it's a great game. I really hope it does well.

#30 HDL, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  11. codeminion

Indie Author

A new version of the beta (BETA 1.05) is now available. You can download it here: http://codeminion.com/downloads/SaqqarahSetup_Beta.exe

The time limit is reset with this one so even if you used all your time with the previous version you can get one more hour with the current one.

Here is a link to a complete changelog: http://codeminion.com/downloads/Saqqarah_ChangeLog.txt

Please let us know in case you have any more feedback. The mouse delay problem has been fixed so it would be great if anyone could confirm it.

Regards!

12. HDL

HDL New Member

It won't let me complete the survey again. I filled it all in and then was told that I'd already completed it.

13. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

The cursor bug seems gone. I like the audio better now too (it doesn't jolt you out of the game like it used to).

Again, absolutely fantastic job on the effects!

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

14. zombibubonik

zombibubonik New Member

The mouse lag is fixed for me, too. One thing I did notice is that when you play level 4 in the Temple of Isis, it says completing it will unlock the Temple of Sobek, when in fact it unlocks the Temple of Thot. One other thing I didn't like was in the Temple of Thot (I think, it was the free-swapping one) when you finished a level it made you click to continue, not a huge deal but sometimes I sat there for a few seconds waiting for it before I remembered.

15. Gassey

Original Member

I'm running on a 1920x1200 display.
    For me, The game was stretched - like I was playing it on an arcade cabinet.
    And - I second installing to c:\Program files...

16. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

Thanks. Great to hear that the cursor lag is gone.

Thanks. Fixed.

17. Gassey

Original Member

I found I had this same issue running Crysis. Changed the method of scaling to use Nvidia scaling instead of relying on my Monitor, and the problem was fixed.
    BTW, really enjoying the game. Trying all of the different play modes consumes a huge chunk of the "first hour". Great design.
    I also love your transitions from screen to screen. Clearly you and the team have put a lot of thought into this.
    Looking forward to picking up the final product :)

18. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

So am I actually... ever since playing the first beta for that hour I've wanted to get back into it.