an interesting discussion on a warez site:

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by cliffski, Jul 2, 2007.

1. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I thought I'd reiterate this, because I don't think it was fully considered.

Does Reflexive get cracked? Absolutely.
    There is a huge catalog of games on Reflexive, which gives a lot of incentive to someone to crack the DRM. (cracking a DRM for 1 or 2 games just isn't worth it) With the large incentive to crack us, we are absolutely hounded by pirates.

Does the cracking cost you money? No.
    We've modified the DRM multiple times to wipe out all known cracks and stop all piracy. We cannot attribute any sales increase to removing cracks. Since we sell so many games we have a lot of reason to try and increase sales by even small percentages. If stopping piracy for a week resulted in a .1% increase in sales it would be a tremendous gain...for us. Reflexive would gain more by eliminating cracks than any individual developer. We have made changes and will continue to do so, our dream is making the DRM to the point where cracking has to be done on a per game level. In the meantime we continue to make changes and will continue to report what we see.

Again, our statistical experience with our DRM shows no gain in sales by eliminating cracks. (but it does decrease downloads for a short time as James noted) Some of it may be audience based, but the numbers are very interesting.

Cliff, I'd love to see you do a study, maybe by releasing your games after they have been out a year or two or three on portals that you feel are 'at risk,' and track all the sales to see if any portal costs you money due to the piracy. The numbers we have show that not being on any one portal does not increase, but instead reduces our revenue.

A quote from Seth Godin today, which I thought was relevant: (The Honor System)

#41 cyrus_zuo, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. princec

Indie Author

Russ, it generally increases Reflexive's revenue, but it does directly harm Cliff's direct sales which are worth more to him than small increases in revenue from Reflexive.

Cas :)

3. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

That is possible, as I mentioned, I'd like to see someone run the numbers to show it. :)

I'd love to see some hard numbers on it being true. It's hard to go far off of an assumption. Especially when the only numbers we do have (and there are a LOT of them) disagree with the general assumption. ;)

The suggestion that people who buy direct from a website will pirate games, but those that buy from a portal won't pirate a game I don't believe is true. (That means that those who buy from Cliff won't buy if they can pirate, but 100% of those who buy from Reflexive will buy if they can pirate?) But again, I'd love to see that distinction made between the different types of pirates numerically.

#43 cyrus_zuo, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007