An Impossible Dream?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by CharlesD, Nov 2, 2019.

1. CharlesD

CharlesD New Member

I've wanted to develop my own game (and even run a small studio) for literally as long as I can remember. And now, I finally know exactly what I want to make. However, I have minimal understanding of programming language, can not work in unity, and have essentially zero training in game development. At first, I thought I would just hire a team to make my idea for me. But the lowest quotes were well over $25,000 and that's just out of my range. Although, I understand those were perfectly reasonable quotes given it's an incredibly difficult process.

So, I'm pretty much thinking I should give up. That this simply isn't an achievable goal. So, before I lay this silly endeavor to rest all-together; I figured I should ask people who actually do this sort of thing to see if there's any way forward. I've heard of people developing a slice and pitching it to publishers. Which I would be more than happy to do, but how will that work with no budget? I've heard of people doing profit share and working for free, but is anyone actually willing to do that? Especially with someone who has no real credibility or experience in the industry?

Any input would be appreciated.