Amiga MODs library on Windows Mobile 6.+?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Bunkai, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Bunkai

Original Member

Dear everyone,

I did a deep search on ned finding a library that would let me play Amiga .mod protracker music files in a Pocket PC(Smartphone) Windows Mobile 6.+ device.

The best candidate would be FMOD, however, developers say, that despite FMOD was ported to iPhone, it will not be provided on Windows Mobile 6.+ just because WM does not support Floating Point math.

Are therefore any alternative libraries, that would let me to play Amiga .mod files in my games? I have not found anything.

With best regards...

2. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Bitrabbit Factory does play .mod's on WM and a bunch of other smartphone OS'es. It's mostly known for being the engine of Platypus on smartphones. It's probably a superset of what you want though.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

3. Bunkai

Original Member

Dear Emmanuel,

Thank you for this tip. As I've reviewed BitRabbit right now, it looks as a complete game api. Apparently, it is not yet sold, although the developers offer to be contacted.

With DirectDraw, there is no need to pay for drawing functionality, that will consume memory and only 10% of the package would be really needed.

Maybe, I should develop such library on my own, however, it might consume more than a month.

If you have heard of something lighter, I would be happy read about.

Best regards..

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

You might want to use my Flash MOD Player (realm.badsectoracula.com/fmp) as a base (or maybe a C++-ified version of it once passed via haXe's C++ target). It plays most MODs just fine and supports a few 'unofficial' extensions to the MOD format.

The player is targeted for Flash but actually only a small part of it is specific to Flash and converting the code from haXe to some other language (C++ for instance) is straightforward (and in C++'s case, haXe can do it for you, although personally i haven't tested it).

5. Bunkai

Original Member

Dear BadSector,

would you be willing to disclose your source code for porting the MOD player on Windows Mobile? I am on you website and see that the application runs well.. is the code well optimized, not to consume too much HW resources?

Although I would be happy to find a tool that already exists, if not and you will agree, I would like to kindly ask you for the source code when I start solving sound for my apps.

6. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

On a related note, does anyone know if there's a mod player for iPhone?

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

@Bunkai:
    The "Download version 1.2" big image at the top right corner of the screen will give you a ZIP file with the source code included. As i said, it is in haXe so you'll need to convert it.

@Jamie W:
    haXe also supports iPhone :p.

8. Bunkai

Original Member

Dear BadSector,

thank you very much. I will spend dome effort finding a ready lto use library. If nothing is available, I will kindly download your source code and modify it to C++. Yes, I understood, that it requires porting.

Thanks again.

#8 Bunkai, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. Bunkai

Original Member

Hello Jamie,

yes, there is probably the most powerful sound library in the world available on iPhone. They ported their product to iPhone, just because it supports floating point math.

http://www.fmod.org/index.php/download#FMODExProgrammersAPI

Regards...

10. bitrabbit

Original Member

Actually :)

We have a separate MOD/IT engine available ! It has already been used in two released games on the App Store, and is also used in another game to be released soon. This is a very high profile game, by a very well known publisher, but I can't disclose which game unfortunately.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want some information.

EDIT: it's available on iPhone, Windows Mobile (any version), Symbian (any version), PalmOS. It lets you mix MOD format (4 channels), IT (32 channels and lots of effects) and WAVs. All that is mixed in real time, and is quite optimized (no use of float).

Make sure if you write your own engine to handle correctly all the devices events (phone call, incoming SMS, ...). This is always some work to do it correctly, especially on some platforms !

By the way, using DirectDraw is not an optimized way to blit on Windows Mobile. Except for those devices which have a GPU but they are still rare on Windows Mobile. If you want fast blit in software, don't even think of DirectDraw, and blit directly in the frame buffer instead :)

#10 bitrabbit, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  11. Bunkai

Original Member

Dear BitRabbit,

Nice to get a message from you. The device that is in my scope is Samsung Omnia II that has a GPU.

http://www.samsung.com/global/syste...product/2008/10/1/994730ptb_s3c6410_rev40.pdf

Therefore, I hope DirectDraw will be usable there.

Regarding sound library, I will be happy to contact you, when the time comes. We can possibly find a kind of cooperation that will be beneficial to both of us.

With best regards..