Always 1 month away from completion

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by bantamcitygames, Jul 29, 2004.

1. princec

Indie Author

I do, frequently. I use the Dad Test. If your dad (or anyone else's) can play it and likes it, it's passed the test.

Cas :)

2. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I've got at least one playtester who's not part of the dev team... He and his wife were quite helpful, especially for testing the different AI levels.

3. BongPig

Indie Author

Its these people who should be telling you whether something is finished or not.
    The developer him/herself is in no position to tell whether something is done yet! :)

4. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Not necessarily.

Even when you playtest, you'll always have a group of people who say, "Hey, it will be cool if you add this feature!!!" or "The game locked when I jumped on the block 37 times and then ran backwards and mashing all the keys down on the keyboard".

If you have playtesters, they will always have suggestions and they will always find bugs (if they are worth their salt). At some point, you the developer has to say, "This game is finished!"

Though I see your overall point Bongpig, I'm fortunate enough to have a nice group of hardcore gamers who playtest my game. Playtesting certainly shouldn't be skipped to hit a release date, however I would be wary of letting playtesters completely set your release date because then you may never finish your game.

5. wazoo

Original Member

the brain chemistry super-pill....where is it?!

They can send a man to the moon, but they still haven't bottled the chemicals in your brain that "recharge" themselves while you sleep. Where are our priorities?!

The day they invent those, is the day we start complaining that we ONLY have 24 hours to work...:)

Remember "Time is an illusion. Lunch time doubly so."

Said the wise Ford Prefect.

6. BongPig

Indie Author

Chris, im with you completely. I think we all agree that when it comes to features, a line needs to be drawn.
    Its the feel of a game that cant be nailed down. If my tester told me our game still didnt feel right because of A,B & C, thats something I cant let go, regardless of deadlines. Luckily we have a tester who really knows how to communicate a problem to me and our coder.

Its a priceless thing to get comments from our testers like : 'the horizontal inertia is a little loose', rather than, 'it feels crap. Dunno why exactly, it just does'.