Alternative to PTK ?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by datxcod, Apr 6, 2007.

1. datxcod

Original Member

Hello

I'm wondering if you guys know of any good alternatives to PTK ?

I'm using Java+LWJGL for my project but I realized there are a lot of people (especially windows users) who don't have good OGL drivers, I tried running a OGL app on a brand new windows machine and it crashed :/ .

So I'm looking for a lib/engine with directx drivers for windows (as a fallback maybe) and OGL for MAC/UNIX.

I was looking at allegro and from the description it says it supports DX for windows users but Quartz for macOs . I haven't worked with Quartz before so I don't know how reliable it is, does anyone have any experience with allegro for both mac and windows?

The only other alternative would be to use SDL but I think it's too low level, I don't have any problem coding the stuff but I rather keep working on the project than spend like a month building a decent engine.

2. MacMan45

MacMan45 New Member

I'm not familiar with allegro, but just so you know, Quartz is just the OSX display subsystem, so I think its safe to consider it stable =D

Which also backs onto OpenGL with supported graphics drivers (its what OSX uses to produce all it's eye candy)

3. Sybixsus

Original Member

BlitzMax? That has OpenGL on Windows, Mac and Linux and DirectX on Windows.

4. datxcod

Original Member

MacMan, Oh then it should be reliable enough for games, I suppose :) , but I still wonder why I don't see many people using it ?

Sybixus, BlitzMax is nice, it comes with examples and there are tons of people working with it but it uses its own proprietary language, and trying to debug on it is kind of sucky.

Keep them coming guys

5. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Doesnt PTK also support dx7 now?

- S

6. MFS

MFS New Member

Yeah, PTK has both DX and OGL rendering modes. I assumed the OP had other reasons to seek an alternative, but perhaps not?

7. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

ptk does render to D3D7 (all the games in my signature use it). If you seek an alternative that works on mac, there's the playground framework that also does '2d in 3d' using D3D on windows and OpenGL on mac, with lua and flash support, free even if you don't publish with playfirst, but with a much geekier interface than ptk and I don't think you can test your game using OpenGL on windows before subjecting yourself to xcode on mac (that's what I use the windows gl renderer in ptk for).

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

8. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Depending on your needs, Java2D might work for you. It's what I use.

9. princec

Indie Author

If your game crashed on a brand new Windows installation, it's less to do with broken drivers and a lot to do with your broken code. Don't expect PTK to magically fix the problem!

Cas :)

10. Red Marble Games

Original Member

IMHO, don't use Allegro. While it is technically cross-platform, its Mac code is waaaay out of date. It says it uses Quartz, but (a) it doesn't, actually, it uses Quickdraw, which is the pre-Mac-OSX rendering API which is now deprecated, and (b) even if it really used Quartz you wouldn't want that, because Quartz is generally too slow on the bulk of the installed base. That may be changing with newer hardware, but for now the Mac API of choice remains OpenGL for all things game-related.

Mark

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes exactly. I had recently updated my nvidia drivers, and I was screaming at PTK because the OpenGL version of my games was unplayable. Then I checked other openGL games and discovered that they ALL don't work now :eek:
    Had to revert to a previous nvidia driver to fix the problem...

12. datxcod

Original Member

Emmanuel, I'm checking out Playground's SDK, it seems what I'm looking for (feature wise at least).

Princec, I have 3 computers at home ,all of them use 3d acceleration with previously installed drivers, I use all of them for games and work, the app works fine on those 3 computers, now my brother bought a new computer (intel , those crappy ones sold in combo), it has integrated acceleration (which I believe is what a lot of casual gamers have) so I thought about trying the app on it and it just crashes while loading. It doesn't run a lot of OGL based games like "gish","tribal trouble" etc. But it works wonderfully with dx based apps (provided that the game is not using shaders or heavy physics though). I could reinstall the video drivers but the point is that out of the box not all computers have decent ogl drivers. Maybe I'm being too picky about this whole thing and should just release it using ogl.

Red Marble Games, thanks for the info, that was my original concern, not using OGL on mac.

13. datxcod

Original Member

That's what I'm talking about, your games can stop running due to bad ogl drivers, ideally there should be a fallback renderer (unless we are talking about MACs).

14. oNyx

Original Member

The capabilities of those Intel integrated chipsets are very limited and their drivers are really bad.

Most likely you just push too often.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I start them by default on DX on pc and let user choose if to use GL. Easy :)

16. datxcod

Original Member

Yes that's what I want to do, but I know you use PTK and I was looking for a free alternative , I might just end up buying PTK but right now I'm checking the Playground SDK.

17. Pyabo

Original Member

The big tradeoff in PlayGround vs. PTK is closed source / open source.

18. soniCron

Indie Author

I think it's important to clarify exactly what Pyabo meant: Playground SDK provides compiled libraries whereas PTK gives you the source code upon purchase.

Neither, however, are publicly open sourced software.

19. princec

Indie Author

Er, GL almost never fails for me. It either works, or it doesn't, generally. I assume because the OP is using PTK it's 2D work, in which case there is almost bugger all to go wrong. So again I say, stop this n00bish API hopping and just fix the bloody code in the first place. If it decides it can't run, handle it gracefully.

Does Titan Attacks crash on said computer?

Cas :)

20. datxcod

Original Member

Princec,

In my case I'm not saying it doesn't work in my computers but that DX tends to be a better option for old windows machines (or new ones with integrated video chips/crappy video cards). I can download new drivers from the manufacturer's for the computer I was using but IMHO most casual gamers don't bother with downloading and reinstalling drivers, that's just a thought.

Titan attack works perfect in my machines but I'm usually updating drivers, in my original post I'm talking about low end computers and ogl.

Again this is all my opinion.