"Alter Ego" clone... do you remember it?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by ManuelMarino, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Hello... since years I would like to see a modern clone of the famous C64 Alter Ego. Do you remember it?

It should not be difficult to recreate, and we could add movies and tons of audio to create the right atmosphere.

I would like to supervise the project and I would use the resources of my studio for the audio part of the game.

Any designers (and also programmers and graphic artists) interested?

2. Sirrus

Original Member

Sounds like a pretty complex project to do...

3. 1EyedJack

Original Member

4. papillon

Indie Author

It's on my list of something to work on at some point. But I don't know when I'll get to it... Not a complete clone, but something strongly building on it.

5. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Interesting! I'm going to check it right now.

6. impossible

Original Member

I was just playing this game a few days ago. It would be cool to make a life sim game, and I think it would do pretty well in the casual market. FMV sucks, so I wouldn't want a version with video, but it would be cool to have some graphical gameplay elements to each of the events.

7. ManuelMarino

Original Member

Awesome! So, do you think we could setup an initial team to begin working on the project?

8. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

The main point in 'alter ego' was that the designer (if not the coder) was an actual psychiatrist. On the negative side, that shows if you play the game.. several correct answers to the questions (like, what should you tell your drunk friend or whatever) are in the lines of "go see a shrink"..

Anyway, my point is, if a normal person, or - god forbid - a programmer was designing a similar game, the audience might find the situations and their correct answers as somewhat strange.

Now, if you could befried a psychiatrist and get them to do a project like this on a more or less hobbyist level.. that might work. =)

9. TimS

Original Member

I remember this game from long ago and I remember thinking that it was cool back then.... I just played through an entire game on the web-based clone there, and I've got to say that while it was still amusing at points, this game is kindof depressing when you're not 8 or 9 years old... :(

You run out of time so quickly... and it serves to remind you how much time in real life you've wasted... I feel like the old guy riding around on his motorcycle shortly after having discovered that I'm clinically blind. Woo!

If anyone remakes this game... stretch the time out or make it so that you can linger around in an age bracket before advancing... just my opinion.