Alien Hominid - Flash to Console

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by tolik, Oct 8, 2004.

1. tolik

Original Member

2. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Yup, I'm disappointed they're not going to release on PC though.

3. tolik

Original Member

I see the point, the game will not do good on diownloadable pc, it's very console-like. It's size will be huge and it's very close to Viewtifull Joe/Metal Slug which has high demand on consoles.

It's just the wrong market to publish such game on PC.

4. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Look, I know that us PC owners are officially only interested in certain styles of games... and that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy which the retail market must abide by or risk going broke... the rationale behind not releasing on PC is depressingly obvious.

But if you've made a cross-platform title, and have permission to sell directly from your website, and therefore could do it with minimal risk... it is just disappointing to see that they aren't going to release a port, even one restricted to direct sales off the website. There are scores of people who play Metal Slug on their PCs, after all (unofficially).

All this exclusivity is annoying on a personal level, too. I can't go out and buy all the different consiles just so I can play the handful of games I'm interested in, one or two on each console... bah I say!

#4 Anthony Flack, Oct 9, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  5. Andy

Original Member

This game got "f***ing great" graphics!!!
    I'm so jelows on it... :eek:

6. aduro

Original Member

hopefully software like windows media center will help with 'console' type games being more accepted on the pc. i have one set up with emulators for nes, snes, gba, etc... and love to sit back on the couch with a controller. i think most people don't view the pc as a 'multi person game station', meaning most people aren't going to pull up chairs to their monitor and watch each other play. people want to kick back on a sofa with a controller and play 1-4 player same/split screen games like a console. that's what is needed imho.

7. rmxsteady

Original Member

"A few months later, Dan was working in a video game development house when he heard a co-worker playing Alien Hominid. His co-worker, John Baez, was such a big fan of the game that he soon approached Dan with the idea of forming a new company to develop Alien Hominid for the consoles. With all the consolidation going on in the console industry we thought he was crazy, but he proved to us he could gather the funds and support to make it a reality. So we shrugged our shoulders and formed "the Behemoth".

To clarify once and for all, the Behemoth is a small group of veteran developers who self-fund their work and take orders from no one! We oversee every aspect of production from start to finish, with both our games and our merchandise." --Alien Hominid 'game' section aka 'about' section

it's nice to know that it's always a possibility to achieve such goals. now grant it, these are a team of 'veterans' but i wonder how many it took to actually re-build this game from the ground up. anyway, hearing stories like this justifies being a indie game devleoper IMO. and it also goes to show that 3d isn't everything. i can't wait till this game comes out.

8. Sunshine

Original Member

What you speak of is in the near future my friend, the fact is our TVs [take into account that I am in America] are simply too inferior to run the pc image even with the 'TV-out' cards.

The HDTVs they are selling these days on the other hand, Rock when it comes to this. Could be.....Just might be.......[don't quote me on this] .... The death of the Consoles? :eek:

9. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Nope, I don't think so. But it would surely help out PC developers.

As for TVs being too inferior to display the PC image... actually, I don't really understand the average PC user's fetish for super-high res gaming. TVs look just fine for most things. Specially for those of us who still believe in the power of 640x480...

10. aduro

Original Member

i don't think that's what he meant. text looks like shit on a tv. lcd tvs will cure that problem. :) as far as the 'death of consoles', pcs and consoles aren't in direct competition. a pc is $1500, a console is $150.

11. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Oh, you mean using your TV PC to do actual work on?

Erk.