Affiliates: Impact on direct sales

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Cicero, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Cicero

Original Member

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has experienced the effects of adding affiliate products to a new site, as I've noticed one or two familliar faces launch a site with a minimal catalogue of their own titles, then the affiliate products creep in.
    I know this is the fastest way of adding value to a bare site, and getting more visitors, but what effect does this have on your in-house sales?

Do sales tend to drop for your own games, while overall sales go up? If so, are you better off selling more at 30-40% than less at 70-80%? I assume because it's standard practice for indies, it has its benefits; but is it not better in the long-run to give page space to your own titles, and keep more of the revenue?

I wouldn't ask you to post your sales stats (unless you're so inclined) but your thoughts and experiences would be great.

2. princec

Indie Author

Affiliates are nearly always good.

Cas :)

3. mpolzin

mpolzin New Member

It really comes down to marketing, which I know for most Indies is more of a secondary thing. One of the most simple princinples of marketing is brand recognition; people like to buy from entities they feel comfortable with, or they feel they know or recognize.

Ten years ago it only took a person about 5 "impressions" (seeing a product) for them to feel as if a product or brand was recognizable, but currently with the flood of ads in every form of media imaginable that number has skyrocketed to nearly 30 impressions. The issue being that consumers block out a lot of the advertisting now days because there is just too much to pay attention all the time.

So as an indie you need to do everything you can to get your product in front of consumers, this would include affiliate sites, press releases, advertising, etc.

Lets face it, you can have a great product, but if no one knows about it or they hit someone elses site first and your product isn't there, a great product does you little good.