Advice on hiring programers

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Neil B, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Neil B

Neil B New Member

Hi Indie Gamer forums!

Between animation freelance gigs I've been thinking about working on my own game projects. Unfortunately I'm just a rigger/modeler/texture/animator artist with very limited 3D programming skills (Game Maker Studio I get, Unreal hurts my brain). So I was wondering if anyone here had advice on hiring programmers to help create a small demo*? What's their typical rate, what to look out for, any horror/success stories, etc?

*"small demo" being defined as a single map with two controllable characters that are able to interact with each other with 1-2 moves/functions.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

2. Scoper

Indie Author

Being a programmer myself, I would say that the most important thing you need to know is that programming tasks are almost impossible to estimate. So, if they give you a fixed price, expect it to be very high. If you pay them by the hour there is no way of knowing how much it will end up costing you.
    The best way, in my opinion, is to agree on iterative deliverables. You pay them for a set number of hours and they deliver whatever they have made in that time. You review what they have given you and then decide to either stop, because you think it will end up being too expensive to finish, or pay them to do another iteration. Continue this cycle until you decide you don't need them to work on it anymore (because it is finished or because you cancel the project).

Redefinition Games and Neil B like this.
  3. Neil B

Neil B New Member

Thanks, Scoper. That's really helpful advice. I'm going to revise my project into smaller milestones/deliverables to better fit the week-by-week cycle you suggested above, and I'm going to measure the budget against it so I know when's a good time to maybe cancel if it's clear I won't have a presentable product by the time the budget is dried up. If this thing pans out I'll drop a message back to here to let you know how it goes!

4. incognito

incognito New Member

Neil i would be willing to help you after i finish my current project. As I'm looking towards moving into unreal engine i can create what you'd like as practice for myself since i plan on fully moving to C++ for future games and away from java