Advertising on JuegosIndie.net

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ManuelFLara, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Hello everybody,

My name's Manuel F. Lara and I'm the editor of the most visited Spanish blog about indie and casual games, JuegosIndie.net. Right now we're only using Google AdSense for the advertising, but I remembered some time ago (jeez, years go by so fast) TIGSource offered ad space directly to developers and looks like there was some interest.

So here's the deal:
    I attached a file which shows where each ad zone is located, its size and some other details.

Here are the prices per slot (there's 10 slots per ad zone):
    Square 1: $35/slot
    Square 2: $10/slot
    Skyscrapper: $15/slot
    Jumbo: $25/slot
    Sponsor: $20/slot

The prices are set based on AdSense CTR, so you can get a feeling of how better converts a zone compared to others.

Site stats for the last 30 days:
    Pageviews: 141,992 (30% growth rate)
    Traffic from search engines: 87%
    New visits: 53%

You can book as many slots as you want.

As an additional (free) service, as I guess not many people have ads in Spanish, I offer myself to translate any banners you run on the site. Just send to me the text displayed in the ad and I'll do it for you.

EDIT: By the way, the payment method would be PayPal unless there is some problem with it. Also, at the end of the month we'll send you a report of how well your ad/s performed so you can see if it was worth it and decide if you want to run ads on our site again.

Attached Files:

#1 ManuelFLara, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Hi again,

JuegosIndie.net has now more traffic and a cleaner design than before, but despite that, and considering I didn't have much success the last time I made a similar offer to you, I'm lowering the prices (relatively) of the ads.

So, considering our current ad zones, this is the current offer (of course, the translation into Spanish for any banner you run at the site is still there):

Jumbo: $30/slot - 5 slots available
    Square: $45/slot - 5 slots available
    Sponsor: $15/slot - 5 slots available - 2 ad zones

As you can see, some prices are the same or a big higher, but considering the site has like twice the traffic as before, and half the slots per ad zone, is quite a good offer IMO.

Last month stats:
    ~100.000 visits
    ~230.000 pageviews
    89% traffic coming from search engines

Of course, after every month you'll receive a report saying how well your banner converts so you can tell if it's worth for you to keep it running at the blog.

If you want to know anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,

3. OremLK

Indie Author

You know, that's a pretty good deal and I really like your layout. If I ever shift focus more toward the casual demographic I may get in touch with you. Good luck finding advertisers!

4. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Greetings! Long time, no see!

Does the Ad run for an entire month? 30 bucks for an entire month seems like a great deal. These can be flash ads, right?

5. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

@OremLK: keep in mind that I don't only talk about casual games, but to be honest, most of our traffic coming from search engines is looking for them, so it's the games that will get the most quality eyeballs from advertising on JuegosIndie.net.

@jpoag: yes, $30 (or whatever the ad zone costs) is for 1 slot (out of 5 in every ad zone) during a whole month. About being Flash, I'll ask the guy who handles the advertising in the blog network, but I don't think that would be a problem as long as the ads don't have any sound and they don't show anything out of the banner boundaries.

6. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I just wanted to chime in to say I had the pleasure to meet Manuel personally in Barcelona and he's a great guy in every way. Actually he was so kind to host me and two friends in his own apartment for almost a week. So you can safely trust Manuel with your advertising dollars :)

7. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Thanks Gabriel, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Barcelona :)

8. Uhfgood

Original Member

This looks interesting. I've just started my games blog, and just using adsense at the moment, I still need to get more content and then improve my traffice.

Maybe in the future I should offer something similar. I know it's in Spanish, but is there a possible english version, or should I use some translation website and translate it into english.

Maybe you could also tell me how you're doing advertising wise since you put up this offer.

9. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I don't really understand what you mean. You want to read an English version of the blog? If that's the case, your best option would be to use a web translation tool like Google's, yes.

In terms of direct advertising, like the one I'm offering here, it's been far worse than I expected. Just two advertisers since I started promoting it, which was months ago. Since there was lots of interest when TIGSource posted its offer with far less traffic I guess my lack of success with it is due to language the blog is written it. Too bad, since Big Fish Games affiliate revenues are quite good, which means Spanish users are getting used to buy games online. Far less than American users, that's for sure, but still.

As of AdSense revenues, since its peak in October it's been going down and down due to the crisis. Can't disclose exact figures due to Google's EULA, but in February it was down to almost half of what I was doing back in October, while traffic is almost 50% up. Good thing is Big Fish's revenues are also up around 50%, which makes up for AdSense. As a friend of mine says, if we keep pumping our traffic up, when advertisers put money back again after all this crisis panic adsense revenue will catch up :)

10. Uhfgood

Original Member

Well maybe you might consider running an english version of your site then :) You can keep the priority on the spanish version of course, but it might be in your interest to also have it in english.

And what crisis are you referring to, just the global economy downswing?

11. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Well, it would definitely be a good thing but it's something I don't really have time for right now. Besides the blog I have a "download portal" which for now only shows Big Fish games, but I have plans to expand it in several ways. That portal has an English version too, but with very few traffic at the moment.

Spanish version
    English version

12. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Manuel, 5 slots means that there is ad rotation? If there is less spots taken does each spot gets just 1/5th of traffic or 1/n where n is number of slots taken?

Do you know what is average CTR for each spot?

cheers
    Roman

13. Uhfgood

Original Member

Why don't we exchange links? I will put your blog in my sidebar with (spanish/español) beside it, so they know it's not english, and you can put an (english/inglés) beside my link so they know that my blog isn't spanish.

I'd be willing to bet there are some people that visit your blog that knows english, and i'm willing to be that there are some that visit mine that know spanish :)

14. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Yes, there is ad rotation. If there are less spots taken, your ad will still be shown the appropiate times. The rest of the time a block of AdSense will be displayed, as there is now (except for the jumbo banner).

I'll have to talk to our advertising guy and get back to you about that, but the prices of each ad spot are set according to its CTR, so you can at least know which have a higher CTR.

@Uhfgood: just sent you a PM.